• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Access the AlpineZone Forums from Facebook!

MR. evil

Question: if I post on the AZ forum, does my post also show up on FB?

If so, that's a huge deal breaker for me.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
You have the choice; I think there is a checkbox when you post that asks if you want it to share on your wall or not. I agree that woudl be annoying, sometimes you want to keep things a little separated :)

MR. evil

Well I don't have a FB page so there is no wall to post on. What if you quote one of my posts, reply to it, then check that box to also post on your FB wall. Will your FB wall include my quoted post? Because that wouldn't be cool in my book!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
You have the choice; I think there is a checkbox when you post that asks if you want it to share on your wall or not. I agree that woudl be annoying, sometimes you want to keep things a little separated :)

But what if I choose not to share my post and you quote it and you have no problem posting on FB?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
But what if I choose not to share my post and you quote it and you have no problem posting on FB?

I think it just shares your post and potentially a link to the forums. It wouldn't share your real name, just the same one that appear here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MR. evil

I think it just shares your post and potentially a link to the forums. It wouldn't share your real name, just the same one that appear here.

It doesn't matter what name it shows up under. If I choose to post something on AZ no one has the right to put that post up on FB regardless of weather it shows up with my AZ user name or real name. I have gone out of my way to stay off FB and I intent to keep it that way. I guess this just means little to no posting on AZ anymore.

This FB add on might be a cool little feature to some, but it seems to cross the line in my book and I have a feeling other will think the same way.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Threads from AlpineZone get shared frequently on Twitter, Google+ and FB.... same basic concept, a link to here where they can view the thread and yeah, see our usernames and other available information on the boards. Its been like that for at least three or four years, but I'll try to check tomorrow on exactly what gets shared.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
OK. I quoted a post and shared to my wall. This is what shows up:

Capture.PNG

it basically points to the thread on AZ.

While I totally get what you are saying, AZ always had links to "share" on facebook and being a site accessible on the web the content is technically public and available 24x7 (well, as long as the server is up :) )

If it makes you feel better the forums syndicated on Facebook are not separate or unique from here, nor do they show any additional information that is personal. Nothing beyond what you would get from a link to a thread hosted here. In other words, it's identical ... Mr. Evil here is just syndicated to there so the forums can be read in a 2nd place. That's all it really is.

I think the problem is that this:
no one has the right to put that post up on FB
isn't really true ... any forum or place you post online content can be shared. It can't be copyrighted (ie. copied and claimed as original) but it can be shared.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
It doesn't matter what name it shows up under. If I choose to post something on AZ no one has the right to put that post up on FB regardless of weather it shows up with my AZ user name or real name. I have gone out of my way to stay off FB and I intent to keep it that way. I guess this just means little to no posting on AZ anymore.

This FB add on might be a cool little feature to some, but it seems to cross the line in my book and I have a feeling other will think the same way.

Is your secret identity Geoff?

bvibert

Staff member
I understand your concern, Mr. Evil, but this plug-in is really just a tool to make AZ accessible on FB to those who choose to have that convenience. With or without this plug-in anyone could link to, or copy/paste AZ content to FB, just like they could for any other website on the internet. If anything this plug-in puts up less information on a person's wall than would typically be shared by other methods.

Unfortunately to only way to guarantee that your words won't get posted on FB is to stop posting anything to the internet, forever. I guess what I'm saying is the internet is public domain, once your content is out there it's out there and anyone can do whatever they want with it. There are limitations to copyrighted material, but even that is difficult to enforce.

For the record; I don't use this plug-in, nor do I have any intention of ever using it. For me FB has become sort of a necessary evil since that's how a majority of my friends communicate, especially when it comes to hooking up for a MTB ride or something, but I don't want to use it any more than I already have to.

Cannonball

I understand your concern, Mr. Evil, but this plug-in is really just a tool to make AZ accessible on FB to those who choose to have that convenience. With or without this plug-in anyone could link to, or copy/paste AZ content to FB, just like they could for any other website on the internet. If anything this plug-in puts up less information on a person's wall than would typically be shared by other methods.

Unfortunately to only way to guarantee that your words won't get posted on FB is to stop posting anything to the internet, forever. I guess what I'm saying is the internet is public domain, once your content is out there it's out there and anyone can do whatever they want with it. There are limitations to copyrighted material, but even that is difficult to enforce.

For the record; I don't use this plug-in, nor do I have any intention of ever using it. For me FB has become sort of a necessary evil since that's how a majority of my friends communicate, especially when it comes to hooking up for a MTB ride or something, but I don't want to use it any more than I already have to.

I realize this is old news, but I had never been on FB before so I never paid attention. Nick, any chance you can revisit this thread and give us an update on how this all works?

Bvibert's post above makes it sounds like there is a plug-in that has to be actively used in order to share posts between AZ & FB. That doesn't seem to be the case. I recently opened a FB page, liked AZ, and now I notice that threads I start or comment on here show up over there. I'm not saying this as a complaint, I understand all the points about lack of internet privacy and copyright. That's why I stayed away from FB for all these years. Now that I'm kinda stuck with an account I just want to understand how it works. For example, is there some protocol used for choosing which threads end up over at FB? It doesn't seem like every thread finds its way over to FB. Maybe you can give us just a quick refresher on what the exact deal is? Thanks.

Edit: After looking at it again, it seems that maybe not as much stuff goes over to FB as I thought. It's actually Twitter where tons of AZ stuff shows up. Either way, just interested in how that works for both platforms. Thanks for any light you can shed.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

I realize this is old news, but I had never been on FB before so I never paid attention. Nick, any chance you can revisit this thread and give us an update on how this all works?

Bvibert's post above makes it sounds like there is a plug-in that has to be actively used in order to share posts between AZ & FB. That doesn't seem to be the case. I recently opened a FB page, liked AZ, and now I notice that threads I start or comment on here show up over there. I'm not saying this as a complaint, I understand all the points about lack of internet privacy and copyright. That's why I stayed away from FB for all these years. Now that I'm kinda stuck with an account I just want to understand how it works. For example, is there some protocol used for choosing which threads end up over at FB? It doesn't seem like every thread finds its way over to FB. Maybe you can give us just a quick refresher on what the exact deal is? Thanks.

I not Nick but I have been in Facebook's for a while and seems to me that they put up the best ski reports on Facebook's, I wonder if my legalization thread will make it on Facebook lol.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hey Cannonball.

A couple things...

The goal for me is always to be growing and encouraging participation in Alpinezone on this site directly. It used to be, even a few years ago, that that happened primarily through Google. People talk on the site, and then new people find AlpineZone by googling skiing questions and they invariably wind up here.

That is still the case today for most of the traffic. 4 out of every 10 visitors to AlpineZone finds us on Google. However, 1 out of 10 comes from Facebook, another 1 out of 10 from other social media outlets (twitter, whatever). 5 out of 10 just type in AlpineZone.com right into the browser as they are regular visitors.

So, what avenues do we use to share content around the internet?

Twitter - all new threads (not posts) and news articles in the forum are automatically syndicated to twitter. So anyone following @AlpineZone on twitter sees a blurb with a link for all new threads and they can click over here.

Facebook - this is a curated list by me and Ski Stef. I occasionally post interesting threads on the Facebook page to get people to visit the site. Keep in mind, I'm not sharing any private information, it's all the information here available just by clicking a link. I also share stuff exclusively to Facebook on occasion, normally images or something random question, designed obviously to encourage participation.

Facebook Forums - I actually have to review this feature. There is a full syndicated forum on Facebook, but I think there was some changes that might have broken it recently. It's an app that you would need to subscribe to and what the OP was talking about. Again, this doesn't share anyone's information that isn't available here.

We also post pics on Google+, vidoes on YouTube and Vimeo, and images on Instagram occasionally.

If there is a specific concern about sharing, I'm happy to answer it. But basically: anything that is shared is limited to what any visitor to AlpineZone.com could see. Nothing more.

Cannonball

Nick,
Thanks for the quick, clear explanation. That's exactly what I was looking for. I don't have any specific concerns, just trying to understand how it works.