• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

On mountain food prices

SkiFanE

That's why I'm sticking with my local dentist even if he's more expensive. If I have any problems he's a phone call and a few miles away. Not dealing with a foreign country for my dental or medical needs. Also not going to a dentist hundreds or thousands of miles away from home in the USA unless it's an emergency.

I've been going to the same dentist since I was 13yo...luckily for him my teeth have probably put at least one of his kids through an Ivy league college lol. NOTHING from him has ever failed. Was in a bind once when traveling alot and his hours wouldn't work for me and I needed a crown sorta quick, so went to my friend's brother, who is a dentist. This was about 6-7 years ago. Well..it's already starting to fail and I got a cavity underneath it...nothing "my" dentist has ever done has failed...so bummed...may have to get it re-crowned ($$) if his fix didn't work. Also told by some friends that I should start getting my metal fillings refilled with porcelein modern ones (or something)..approached him about it and he said every filling in my head is fine... he did them all ;) , no need to do this. He's started slowing down and is on retirement track..boo hoo...my Dad found him right out of dental school, will miss him terribly (my kids and hubby go to him too). So..my point is..dentist quality varies. My FIL gets all his major dental work in Hungary. He even got his cataracts done there...the price was still cheaper than it would have been in the US after his insurance and deductibles were paid. There is actually a little industry of tourism healthcare, or something (I think Thailand is big for some things). Me...I don't know...I'd wanna be close to home if something every happened, no matter the $.

vdk03

I'm actually working on this myself as I want to get away from being owned. My answer is cheap high dedutible insurance (5k), with 5k in an HSA. I have six months to make this happen as I'll be leaving the job I'm returning to by halloween.

It's the dental thing I'd like to figure out. I need quite a bit of work. I actually am toying with the idea of going to Mexico to get this done next year.

Went to the dentist in Thailand this summer and was very impressed. I was skeptical going but once I got there saw the facilities and talked with the dentist my worries went away, it was actually quite a bit nicer than my dentist back here in the states and about a Quarter of the cost.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

abc

The thread has drifted away...

Dental works aren't life and death. So doing it outside the country is not as risky as other medical procedures.

On the other hand, as many had pointed out, quality varies a lot. So, you'll want to find a GOOD source before going. (typically, you probably want to get quite a few teeth done so if quality isn't good, you got a lot more follow up to do, which defeats the purpose of saving money).

I grew up in a third world country, I can tell you the dental work I had back in my birth country were better quality than some of the ones I got done here! The other end of spectrum, I also lucked out with a very good dentist here too (not just good, excellent)!

drjeff

The thread has drifted away...

Dental works aren't life and death. So doing it outside the country is not as risky as other medical procedures.

On the other hand, as many had pointed out, quality varies a lot. So, you'll want to find a GOOD source before going. (typically, you probably want to get quite a few teeth done so if quality isn't good, you got a lot more follow up to do, which defeats the purpose of saving money).

I grew up in a third world country, I can tell you the dental work I had back in my birth country were better quality than some of the ones I got done here! The other end of spectrum, I also lucked out with a very good dentist here too (not just good, excellent)!

The reality is, and there are numerous studies backing this up, is to the general public, what constitutes a "good" dentist has more to do with the personality of the dentist (and his/her staff), did he/she cause any pain, and what the cost/perceived value was more than what we in the profession look at for "good" work (size + detectability of the margins of the restoration, the overall color profile and depth of color of the restoration, anatomical contours, adjacent gum tissue health, etc)

To be 100% honest, the longevity of a restoration has far more to due with the patients dietary and hygiene habits over time than the "quality" of the work, as i've seen literally thousands of what on the surface often appear as "crappy" restorations that have been functioning without a single problem for over 25yrs and also plenty of technically superior restorations that have failed within 2your to 3yrs after placement :eek: As I tell my patients, I only guarentee my work won't fail until they leave my office, since after that the longevity is up to how THEY take care of it, and just like their car needs regular care and maintenance for longevity sake, so do obe's teeth (real or fake) :)

abc

When the same dentist did TWO teeth, and BOTH of them cracked within 6 months, I can't see why it's NOT a quality issue.

In the mean time, fillings done 6 YEARS prior were still holding fine. So did some in between the time, by other (American) dentist.

As a dentist, you may or may not have the patient history. But I do, the history of my own teeth!

I'll take luck if just one of the two failed. But reality is, none of my prior (or since) fillings last less than 5 years (many lasted more). To have 100% failure has to be a skill (and/of) quality problem. Further more, the re-do of those 2 fillings, by a different dentist, lasted years since. Tell me it's not a bad dentist! Fancy office he had too...

ScottySkis

Dental insurance is it worth the price, I guess we need to change name of this threads, at least its food related, lol.

mlkrgr

From what I hear, there are some pretty good eats and drinks in the parking lot.:popcorn:

I second that; I do not understand why parking lots of chain restaurants like Bahama Breeze are crowded and sometimes overflowing; cars were parking on the street last night and in an unofficial dirt lot. Food at most chain restaurants tends to have a lot of sodium, which can be bad for you (that's why I've been sweating so much after eating a lot of Easter ham but it's a once in a year delicacy for me).

Riverskier

Seriously now, what is going on? I was at the River today for pond skimming. They fired up the grill and burgers smelled awesome. I ended up buying one and a dog, $7.00 and $3.50 respectively. Again, I am reminded why I brown bag it to the resort.

The entire time of the event, I saw not one burger or dog in the hands of the spectators, not one. And afterwards, when I got mine, right in the crowd, not one other person ordered anything the entire time I was there getting my order or adding the condiments.

Whose marketing idea is this? The burger was a decent burger, as was the dog. If they were to sell them for say, half that price, they'd still make a decent profit, but they would sell so many more of them, that overall their sales and profits would be much higher. There would likely be a whole lot less brown bagging it and more food bought on resort, ending up with greater profits overall.

Anyways, I went on down to the White cap lodge for the after party with a Buffet cover band for the festivities. It was dead, perhaps 60-80 people spread about. Just walking around, I began to understand. Their painkillers, (drink of the day) were priced at $8.00 each. All other refreshments were equally expensive. I didn't even stick around to hear the winners from the pond skimming.

It just seems to me that the profiteering going on is destroying their intention of getting a party and a crowd. I know they priced me right out of there.

Your voice was heard! They had the grills going at Barker yesterday and burgers were $5.00 and dogs were $2.50.

snowmonster

Lobster rolls were $8. Two for $15. I don't think it gets better than that! Skipped the lines at the passholders' barbecue and had a $5 cheeseburger to get back on the hill quickly. Didn't want to miss the naked skiers doing backflips!

SkiFanE

Your voice was heard! They had the grills going at Barker yesterday and burgers were $5.00 and dogs were $2.50.

Naw...they were always $5. Either the one day OP was there they hiked them up to $7, but every other day I've been there, it's been $5. The lobstah rolls, everything has always seemed like a decent deal to me.

Riverskier

Naw...they were always $5. Either the one day OP was there they hiked them up to $7, but every other day I've been there, it's been $5. The lobstah rolls, everything has always seemed like a decent deal to me.

I don't pay attention to prices typically, but I don't doubt what you are saying. My post was meant more as a joke really. I just happened to glance at the prices yesterday, and laughed thinking back to this thread.

I enjoyed the free food at the season's pass holder bbq, especially the shrimp! They really put out a pretty good spread for a free meal.

SkiFanE

I don't pay attention to prices typically, but I don't doubt what you are saying. My post was meant more as a joke really. I just happened to glance at the prices yesterday, and laughed thinking back to this thread.

I enjoyed the free food at the season's pass holder bbq, especially the shrimp! They really put out a pretty good spread for a free meal.

We didn't get to So. Ridge for the freebie - didn't have much time to kill so spent it all on the snow lol...it's usually good, just involves waiting.

mlkrgr

We didn't get to So. Ridge for the freebie - didn't have much time to kill so spent it all on the snow lol...it's usually good, just involves waiting.

Yeah; the only time I've really stopped skiing is when I was hired on contract to consult for Stratton (effectively getting paid to eat at an on mountain establishment and report on the experience) but those days are long gone. I do not even pay up for on mountain food if the skiing is free. The best food tends to be at the sit down restaurants on mountain (such as Grizzly's) and it just takes too much time. That's why I typically pack things that are dense into my coat/ski pants such as energy bars and a sandwich to keep on going.