• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

legalize it already

deadheadskier

Staff member

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Everyone should read this.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/08/health/gupta-changed-mind-marijuana/index.html

Why I changed my mind on weed
By Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN Chief Medical Correspondent

(CNN) -- Over the last year, I have been working on a new documentary called "Weed." The title "Weed" may sound cavalier, but the content is not.
I traveled around the world to interview medical leaders, experts, growers and patients. I spoke candidly to them, asking tough questions. What I found was stunning.
Long before I began this project, I had steadily reviewed the scientific literature on medical marijuana from the United States and thought it was fairly unimpressive. Reading these papers five years ago, it was hard to make a case for medicinal marijuana. I even wrote about this in a TIME magazine article, back in 2009, titled "Why I would Vote No on Pot."

Well, I am here to apologize.

I apologize because I didn't look hard enough, until now. I didn't look far enough. I didn't review papers from smaller labs in other countries doing some remarkable research, and I was too dismissive of the loud chorus of legitimate patients whose symptoms improved on cannabis.

Instead, I lumped them with the high-visibility malingerers, just looking to get high. I mistakenly believed the Drug Enforcement Agency listed marijuana as a schedule 1 substance because of sound scientific proof. Surely, they must have quality reasoning as to why marijuana is in the category of the most dangerous drugs that have "no accepted medicinal use and a high potential for abuse."

We have been terribly and systematically misled for nearly 70 years in the United States, and I apologize for my own role in that.

{more at link}

It's great that he's spreading the truth. Hopefully this wakes some people up. However, he fails to draw the bigger conclusions.

1. It is the US Government that has been "terribly and systematically" misleading us.
a) Why are they misleading us about cannabis?​
2. What else is the US Government misleading us about?

ScottySkis

Everyone should read this.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/08/health/gupta-changed-mind-marijuana/index.html

It's great that he's spreading the truth. Hopefully this wakes some people up. However, he fails to draw the bigger conclusions.

1. It is the US Government that has been "terribly and systematically" misleading us.
a) Why are they misleading us about cannabis?​
2. What else is the US Government misleading us about?

Drugs come from countries we invade is a huge thing the government don't talk about. And DEA and all the money they make with pot arrests is crazy , just end the war on drugs the police will never win because people want to be high at least non harmful plant that is less hurtful then alcohol if you vaporizer it, and this plant is a miracle of mother Earth.

Plus when it finally is fully legal for everyone or at least adults, and children if needed for medical purposes especially non ThC part of Cannabis that cures all sort of horrible dieses, then Scotty will not have to post in the legalize thread any more.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

http://www.bethelwoodscenter.org/bwevents/eventdetail.aspx?id=386 Cheech and Chong at Bethel Woods Art Center 10miles from Monticlello NY home of were Woodstock music Fes took place, The legalize tour Aug. 15 Thur.
CheechChong252b.jpg

ScottySkis

We see what happens today with guy in charge of Sentence guide lines for minority drug sentences, I wait and see how this really goes.

Cannonball

This is the type of thing that will eventually move us to legalization.

http://www.bethelwoodscenter.org/bwevents/eventdetail.aspx?id=386 Cheech and Chong at Bethel Woods Art Center 10miles from Monticlello NY home of were Woodstock music Fes took place, The legalize tour Aug. 15 Thur.
CheechChong252b.jpg

This is the type of thing that will make it take longer than necessary.

dmc

http://comptroller.nyc.gov/press/2013_releases/pr13-08-155.shtm

NEW YORK, N.Y. — City Comptroller John C. Liu today proposed regulating and taxing the sale of marijuana for personal use by adults in New York City. In a report released today, the Comptroller’s office argued that the change would curb the significant social damage caused by prohibiting the substance and generate more than $400 million annually for higher education.

“New York City’s misguided war on marijuana has failed, and its enforcement has damaged far too many lives, especially in minority communities,” said Comptroller Liu. “It’s time for us to implement a responsible alternative. Regulating marijuana would keep thousands of New Yorkers out of the criminal justice system, offer relief to those suffering from a wide range of painful medical conditions, and make our streets safer by sapping the dangerous underground market that targets our children. As if that weren't enough, it would also boost our bottom line.”

Liu proposed that the City use the revenues generated by the regulation of marijuana to reduce CUNY tuition by as much as 50 percent for New York City residents. “In this way, we’ll invest in young people’s futures, instead of ruining them,” he said. “By regulating marijuana like alcohol, New York City can minimize teens’ access to marijuana, while at the same time reducing their exposure to more dangerous drugs and taking sales out of the hands of criminals.”

Under Liu’s proposal, adults age 21 and over could possess up to one ounce of marijuana, which would be grown, processed, and sold by government-licensed businesses for recreational or medicinal purposes. A strict driving under the influence enforcement policy would be implemented concurrently, and marijuana use in public would be prohibited.

To study issues related to regulation, Liu called for the creation of an interagency task force comprised of the NYPD, Administration for Children’s Services, Department of Education, Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, District Attorneys, and Department of Consumer Affairs. The task force would work with the New York State Senate and Assembly in order to pass the appropriate legislation authorizing the full implementation of the plan.

New York City’s current market for marijuana is estimated to be around $1.65 billion annually. Basing its calculations on average consumption rates and the approximate number of users among New York City residents and commuters, the Comptroller’s office estimated that taxing the sale of marijuana would generate approximately $400 million annually, of which roughly $69 million would go to the State and MTA in the form of higher sales taxes. The office calculated that the City could save another $31 million by reallocating time and resources expended by law enforcement and the judicial system on marijuana-related arrests. It did not analyze other economic benefits, such as the reduction in associated incarceration, costs of those arrested, and potential tourist-generated tax revenue. For a detailed explanation of the estimation and methodology, please view Regulating and Taxing Marijuana: The Fiscal Impact on NYC.

But the social arguments for legalizing marijuana are even more compelling, the study found. Because of stop and frisk, minority communities disproportionately bear the consequences of marijuana arrests in New York City — especially the long-term damage to opportunities for employment, post-secondary education, and housing. Combined, blacks and Hispanics make up 45 percent of marijuana users in New York City, but account for 86 percent of possession arrests. By contrast, whites and Asians constitute 55 percent of users but only 14 percent of arrests. In 2012, 1 out of 627 white New Yorkers was arrested for misdemeanor marijuana possession, compared to 1 out of 175 Hispanics and 1 out of 94 African-Americans.

dmc

I'll be in Denver the next couple of days investigating all this..
I'll report back on what i find..

snoseek