• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

legalize it already

thetrailboss

Staff member
So Utah is considering lowering the BAC to .05. What do you all think of that?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Edd

At work we have these monthly "Safety Matters" meetings. Sometimes the topics cover things outside of work. The BAC came up at this month's meeting and the instructor was talking like .05 is definitely happening nationwide at some point. I hadn't heard a thing about it.

I don't like it either. Too low; be realistic.

prsboogie

That's just ridiculous and after all that went into raising it to where it is now I doubt it will happen. There or nationally, politicians drink (maybe not Utardians but the rest do) and won't want their shit watered down!

benski

I was talking to a CDL holder and he told me there is zero tolerance for him or he loses his license.

I have a hard time differentiating the line of .08 as being impaired and .07999999 being okay to drive. There are levels of impairment and much of it is gray. I'm not sure where the line is, but I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.

Personally, I'd rather not have to share the road with impaired drivers of 2 tons or more vehicles, regardless of how you define impaired.

The only way to avoid arbitrary lines in the topic of impaired driving is either legalize it entirely which is a bad idea or lower the maximum BAC to 0. Also there is always the question of whether one can be to tired to drive.

ScottySkis

We need to start drinking threads on az Trump is making it not legal anymore lol.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

prsboogie

.05 is consistent with most of Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

And most of Europe is accessed by bicycle, rail or walking. Can't do that around here.

snoseek

The valley has decent transit I suppose but Utah is a big state. Forget about anything past one pint or one glass of red with dinner. This is a kick in the balls to the food and beverage industry.

prsboogie

Rhode Island has some pretty good billboards out right now "if you drive drunk or high and crash, don't tell me it's an accident " not sure how well they are informing but it's pointed.

benski

DHS makes a great point, if you are an idiot and get behind the wheel smashed, how about some real deterrence. In Maine and New Hampshire, I've been watching the news for this over the past .... 20 plus years, the going rate for killing someone while driving drunk is about 2 years in jail. And someone died! Paul Violette, former commissioner for the Maine Turnpike Authority was convicted of inappropriate use of gift cards and was sentenced to 3 1/2 years and restitution (IIRC), and no one died. Kill someone, but you were driving drunk, only 2 years. Does anyone else see the inequity in this? and the lack of deterrence?

It's because killing some drunk is a DWI or DUI + a true accident so much of the punishment for negligence driving is put on people who caused no harm due to look.

Edd

NH decriminalizes pot!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Under normal circumstances, I would think someone is getting their palm greased in the NH gov't to keep it illegal, which could be the case. My gut tells me that the lawmakers are just ignorant and lame. NH will have to be dragged across the finish line towards reality.

Last edited:

dlague

Under normal circumstances, I would think someone is getting their palm greased in the NH gov't to keep it illegal, which could be the case. My gut tells me that the lawmakers are just ignorant and lame. NH will have to be dragged across the finish line towards reality.

Funny they call it the Live Free or Die state - but that is furthest from the truth IMO.