• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

legalize it already

ctenidae

Jeff Sessions might not like weed but he's doing absolutely nothing to stop states from legalizing and implementing their own agendas.

Unfortunately, I think Jeff is following this conversation...
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/04/politics/jeff-sessions-cole-memo/index.html

I do think the political will to fight legalization is very thin, which is good. The bellweather event will be the DEA removing pot from Schedule 1- which almost happened in the last round, and could happen the next time it's petitioned. That will open the banking system, which will ease tax collection, and will make it even harder for any federal prosecutors to do anything. Which is good.

What would "normalized" prices for weed be in Mass? I recall prices in the $50/quarter range when I lived in NC (in the 90's, granted). No idea what pricing looks like nowadays, or what impact legalization has- seems taxes could hold the retail price at whatever the illegal price is without impacting demand much.

Ol Dirty Noodle

Unfortunately, I think Jeff is following this conversation...
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/04/politics/jeff-sessions-cole-memo/index.html

I do think the political will to fight legalization is very thin, which is good. The bellweather event will be the DEA removing pot from Schedule 1- which almost happened in the last round, and could happen the next time it's petitioned. That will open the banking system, which will ease tax collection, and will make it even harder for any federal prosecutors to do anything. Which is good.

What would "normalized" prices for weed be in Mass? I recall prices in the $50/quarter range when I lived in NC (in the 90's, granted). No idea what pricing looks like nowadays, or what impact legalization has- seems taxes could hold the retail price at whatever the illegal price is without impacting demand much.

It’s a catch 22, while legalization drives the price down as competition increases, the ability to engineer new strains and designer buds can drive the price up, in NY you can get an ounce of good shit for anywhere from $180 from east coast grown $300 for something brought in from out west. The average will likely remain the same but there’s a wider range of prices.

NYDB

Jeff Sessions might not like weed but he's doing absolutely nothing to stop states from legalizing and implementing their own agendas.

Trump has directed that cannabis not be a priority, and states rights / Federalism takes precedent over Jeff's feels.

I think we're beyond the point of any political group seeing the benefit of being hardcore anti-cannabis. Our biggest obstacle right now is the state governments in these liberal states who want to squeeze as much tax money as possible and regulate it in absurd ways (in Mass they are saying edibles will have to be in maximum of 10mg doses... I could eat 20 of those and chill).

Ummm.......how's that working out?
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

ScottySkis

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...8&email_subject=norml-news-of-the-week-142018

sad goverement needs to get out of the way already.

Use of legalized marijuana threatened as Sessions rescinds Obama-era directive that eased federal enforcementAttorney General Jeff Sessions on Thursday made it easier for U.S. prosecutorsto enforce federal marijuana laws in states that had legalized the substance — drawing swift criticism from jurisdictions that have approved pot use and stirring confusion among entrepreneurs in the burgeoning billion-dollar industry.
Whether Sessions’s Justice Department actually busts dispensaries or others involved in state-approved pot production remains to be seen, but his decision to undo previous guidance and possibly put a federal crackdown on the table riled business people, legislators and civil liberties advocates across the country.

bdfreetuna

In practice it's worked out very well so far, contrary to NYT and WaPo fear mongering. DOJ has not gone after marijuana. Trump said last week it was a state's rights issue. Jeff Sessions said in Senate hearing yesterday he has no interest in pursuing marijuana but reserves the right to uphold the law in cases of major drug trafficking.

Meanwhile half the country is legalized or soon to be.

If anything we are getting repeated and clear indications that the people and the states are going to be left to decide this for themselves.

Rikka

June 1st supposedly. Most likely it will be places like NETA, INSA, Patriot Care, etc going public to begin with.

Pretty sure its July 1st. The state has not issued one retail permit as of yet. This is going to be a very slow roll out.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Okay, I have a question for anyone who is up on Maine's laws. I have a friend coming this way from Colorado, and she needs to have access to edibles and oils, without a prescription. She clearly stated this is not party time, but relief from pain. Can she just walk into a clinic and/or store front and purchase what she needs?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/w...know-they-were-getting-pot-edibles/ar-AAyET1g

Bring some edibles just keep them away from the hotel staff.

sull1102

Aren't there laws against that as well?

What she is trying to do is remain a law abiding citizen (I know. crazy concept) but yet receive that which she needs. She is north of 50 years old, retired, never gonna harm anyone and she has to navigate this legal maze. But she wants to remain legal.
What she is trying to cannot be done in today's climate best I understand it. I'm pretty sure the idea that the govt would be happy with here is she goes to a doc in Maine and does the whole process over again, which is a huge pain and a silly way to do things.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

SkiFanE

Okay, I have a question for anyone who is up on Maine's laws. I have a friend coming this way from Colorado, and she needs to have access to edibles and oils, without a prescription. She clearly stated this is not party time, but relief from pain. Can she just walk into a clinic and/or store front and purchase what she needs?

Me? I'd pack it in a carry on with all my other toiletries and shit. I do not think TSA is in the business to look for edibles. Especially leaving CO. Of course with crazy president and Atty General you never know - but I wouldn't worry too much. And then if she's caught - she has proof she needs it. Biggest problem would be TSA finding it and keeping it, lol. I had a consulting colleague traveling to NYC from Atlanta. He packed 8 sweet potatoe pies for his NYC colleagues for Thanksgiving. And they got stolen. Funniest part of the story is the guy was a gay flamboyant AA man, who dressed awesome - purple tie to match the purple hankie. So to hear him so distraught over his sweet potato pies in Southern gay mans drawl still makes me laugh. He spent the entire weekend making the pies. Bought new white t-shirts to pack them into luggage, etc etc. Not to go OT or anything lol.

bdfreetuna

I can think of ways to fly with cannabis

- Vape pen with distillate oil, especially the disposable kind, looks the same as e-cig, oil doesn't smell
- most places that supply edibles will even have THC pills... toss a few in with your Advil container
- a "shatter" concentrate should be exceedingly simple to conceal

Carry on or checked luggage up to you. I'd probably do carry on in most cases unless there was a new regulation which ended up giving look-alike items additional scrutiny. For this reason I would *not* take a big, smelly weed brownie or similar edible items in either carry on or checked. Checked baggage gets randomly searched; carry-ons get searched if they cause a red flag. Best is carry on and avoid red flags.

Needless to say with options available these days it's not like Cheech and Chong trying to smuggle a pound of Mexican grass.

Regarding above crazy Pres statement last I heard was Trump was going to sign the "state's rights" weed bill that basically lets states make their own decisions. Probably the least crazy course of action in reality (VSG). Jeff Sessions doesn't like weed but it was never his plan to make a big fuss about it, Trump sets the policy.

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Pretty sure its July 1st. The state has not issued one retail permit as of yet. This is going to be a very slow roll out.

You are correct. Although I thought NETA and INSA (etc) were going to be ready on July 1st to welcome all customers. In any case, I believe the delivery services are going to likely start advertising their services more openly around that time as well.

I will just say "All bud" and "Go Green"... enter that into your search

Rikka

You are correct. Although I thought NETA and INSA (etc) were going to be ready on July 1st to welcome all customers. In any case, I believe the delivery services are going to likely start advertising their services more openly around that time as well.

I will just say "All bud" and "Go Green"... enter that into your search

Delivery is nice, but i am kind of excited to go into store and check out everything. Its gonna be blast once it does gets rolling!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone