• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

legalize it already

Jcb890

I heard something last week that kinda astounded me. With all the worry about opioid addiction (33k deaths or something/year) - alcohol kills something like 50k/year. Where is the outrage? No script needed. Just gives you pause as to how our culture views different vices. I am not sure how many people die of marijuana complications.
The government makes way too much taxing cigarettes and alcohol for any real outrage to occur.

Bumpsis

I think we all know how and why. There are a few reasons...

I personally know someone who deals with constant migraine issues due to a chronic kidney disease... they were prescribed pills for years, but a few years back she became concerned and wanted to stop because she noticed she was slurring her words, forgetting things, etc. It turns out these were side effects of prolonged use. Another side effect of most migraine medication? Most wouldn't guess... but a common side effect is migraines. Vicodin will take the pain away from the migraine, but what about the migraine from after taking a Vicodin? Opioids are terrible and should not be prescribed to most people.

People need to know whether there are medical uses and whether it is truly good or possibly just a great placebo. I'll tell you right now that it helps this person greatly I referenced above from a migraine standpoint. She very rarely has migraines and if she does, she can take care of it without fearing her words being slurred, forgetting things or fear of a migraine the next day.

Just like with other pharmacological substances, pot will affect people differently. I suffer from frequent headaches and some of these can progress into a migraine. Last thing I'd want to do when migraine attacks is take a few hits off my bong or vaporizer. It would make things worse. I tried it on a headache and it just wasn't worth it. The pain was still there and I actually could make it feel worse - as you know, perception gets a bit weird when on pot. I don't doubt that the person you're describing gets better results with MJ, but not for me.
Too bad, I really don't like my prescription meds for severe headaches.

On the other hand, I really am looking forward to when the stuff is legally available in MA. This will bring a much greater choice in the kind of herb available (sativa vs. indica and various strains of each kind) so it will be possible to have a much more predictable experience than what one can get through less than legal sources now. One of the best uses I have found for the weed now is a good night's sleep at the end of a nice, relaxing session.

Jcb890

Just like with other pharmacological substances, pot will affect people differently. I suffer from frequent headaches and some of these can progress into a migraine. Last thing I'd want to do when migraine attacks is take a few hits off my bong or vaporizer. It would make things worse. I tried it on a headache and it just wasn't worth it. The pain was still there and I actually could make it feel worse - as you know, perception gets a bit weird when on pot. I don't doubt that the person you're describing gets better results with MJ, but not for me.
Too bad, I really don't like my prescription meds for severe headaches.

On the other hand, I really am looking forward to when the stuff is legally available in MA. This will bring a much greater choice in the kind of herb available (sativa vs. indica and various strains of each kind) so it will be possible to have a much more predictable experience than what one can get through less than legal sources now. One of the best uses I have found for the weed now is a good night's sleep at the end of a nice, relaxing session.
That is very interesting. I wonder what makes the migraine worse... perhaps the act of inhaling it? Have you tried edibles instead? It would be tougher to manage the time because they're not instant, but might give you relief without making it worse.

Like I said in my post , what really needs to be done is testing. All we have is anecdotal evidence and stories people share. We need real scientific studies to be done to prove whether there really is some good to be had from the plant. Maybe in the end there isn't and I'm OK with that too - but the studies need to be done.

Jully

Like I said in my post , what really needs to be done is testing. All we have is anecdotal evidence and stories people share. We need real scientific studies to be done to prove whether there really is some good to be had from the plant. Maybe in the end there isn't and I'm OK with that too - but the studies need to be done.

First pot needs to be removed from the DEA's restricted substance list! Its roughly as hard to do studies of weed as it is cocaine if you're applying for federal funding.

Jcb890

First pot needs to be removed from the DEA's restricted substance list! Its roughly as hard to do studies of weed as it is cocaine if you're applying for federal funding.
Agreed, there is no reason for it to be classified the way it is. But, if you pay attention to the current administration, I'd say the odds of that happening in the near-term future are very low considering those in charge seem to still be stuck in the Reefer Madness days. Most likely because they're all being paid by pharmaceutical companies... just follow the money trail and who is donating to whom.

Jcb890

This administration or the last one or the one before that or even the one before that. This has little to do with any of the administrations currently or previously in power. This has to do with DC and the DEA.
Not true at all. We have come a long way from Nixon and Reefer Madness.

The Obama administration came out both publicly and privately among government officials and said Law Enforcement should basically not bother with marijuana offenders... or at least they shouldn't be treated as violent offenders and treated like marijuana is equivalent to heroin. With this current administration, Attorney General Jeff Sessions came out publicly and said that was a bad move and hoped to go back to throwing the book at all offenses, including simple drug possession. To many, it seemed mostly aimed at simple drug possession and marijuana arrests.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/965896/download
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...the_war_on_drugs_that_s_because_it_never.html

SkiFanE

Not true at all. We have come a long way from Nixon and Reefer Madness.

The Obama administration came out both publicly and privately among government officials and said Law Enforcement should basically not bother with marijuana offenders... or at least they shouldn't be treated as violent offenders and treated like marijuana is equivalent to heroin. With this current administration, Attorney General Jeff Sessions came out publicly and said that was a bad move and hoped to go back to throwing the book at all offenses, including simple drug possession. To many, it seemed mostly aimed at simple drug possession and marijuana arrests.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/965896/download
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...the_war_on_drugs_that_s_because_it_never.html

Yup - bunch of old windbags at the helm again - what do you expect? I do think their beliefs are in the minority though, they just can't get over it or they really do have some $ invested in the private incarceration industry lol. I'm on the fence on the whole legalization anyway...anytime the govt gets their hands in something they ruin it lol. You'll instead have people arrested for selling without charging state taxes or something.

SkiFanE

I'm seeing it a whole lot different in Maine, where it has been legalized, though there is some question about national legalization. For example, NFL players have been warned not to partake. I know there's no NFL team in Maine, but law enforcement pretty much isn't going after anyone over a joint here.

Lots of industries don't let their employees smoke. NFL is just another industry with that right. My guess is CDL drivers will always be tested so we don't have a bunch of cheechs steering 18 wheelers lol.

Jcb890

Yup - bunch of old windbags at the helm again - what do you expect? I do think their beliefs are in the minority though, they just can't get over it or they really do have some $ invested in the private incarceration industry lol. I'm on the fence on the whole legalization anyway...anytime the govt gets their hands in something they ruin it lol. You'll instead have people arrested for selling without charging state taxes or something.
Good call, I came on this morning to add private jailing to my post.

If the government is smart about it they'll mass produce it and be able to price everyone out of the market while still making crazy profits and huge tax revenue.

Jcb890

Lots of industries don't let their employees smoke. NFL is just another industry with that right. My guess is CDL drivers will always be tested so we don't have a bunch of cheechs steering 18 wheelers lol.
Right. Most employers follow federal guidelines.

JimG.

Staff member
If the government is smart...

End of conversation right here. Our gov't is not smart, just greedy.

I agree with SkiFanE, let's just keep it illegal. I'll take my chances. Problem is that's just plain selfish and denies the benefits of MJ to many who would really benefit.

Anyone else notice that Jeff Sessions looks like Mr. Mackey from South Park?

"Marijewana is bad, m'ok?"

Jcb890

End of conversation right here. Our gov't is not smart, just greedy.

I agree with SkiFanE, let's just keep it illegal. I'll take my chances. Problem is that's just plain selfish and denies the benefits of MJ to many who would really benefit.

Anyone else notice that Jeff Sessions looks like Mr. Mackey from South Park?

"Marijewana is bad, m'ok?"
Oh I know, it is wishful thinking.

Like you guys, I don't really care about legalization itself, however, in order for testing and funding to happen, it needs to be legalized first. So, for that reason I am in favor of legalization.

Kate McKinnon on SNL does a great Jeff Sessions impression. He's the perfect face for this administration's "War on Drugs".

bdfreetuna

Jeff Sessions might not like weed but he's doing absolutely nothing to stop states from legalizing and implementing their own agendas.

Trump has directed that cannabis not be a priority, and states rights / Federalism takes precedent over Jeff's feels.

I think we're beyond the point of any political group seeing the benefit of being hardcore anti-cannabis. Our biggest obstacle right now is the state governments in these liberal states who want to squeeze as much tax money as possible and regulate it in absurd ways (in Mass they are saying edibles will have to be in maximum of 10mg doses... I could eat 20 of those and chill).

Last edited:

ScottySkis

I am a herb. I exist for a reason. For far too long I have been judged on lies. Greedy people will get what they want no matter what is destroyed, and I am a casualty of that war. I am Cannabis, and this is my manifesto.

I have never killed anyone, and yet I am often accused of this crime. I do not kill. I give life. Your body was made for me. Some people who have had made unwise decisions have been involved in tragic situations while partaking in me, but these people were already in a state of mind to make those decisions. I do not kill.

For thousands of years I have been used by those on a spiritual journey. Every major religion has used me at some point, and I have helped them draw closer to the Divine.

I am an enhancer. A helper. It is true that some people abuse me. They see me as illicit, so they play a role while associating with me. These people are immature and do not deserve me; yet I always hope that I am helping them on some level.

I magnify. I tear down walls...filters. You can know yourself. Peer into your own soul. I can help you become a better person.

The medical community is behind me. I make people better. Not sick.

When used maturely, I give life. In any situation, I never give death.

I am Cannabis. I was here long before you were born, and I will be here long after you are dead. I now live in a time where people deny me for profit. Soon I will live in a time where those same people try to exploit me for greed. I will not stand for either. I seek balance, and through my brothers and sisters I will achieve it.

Marla

Website
www.g2crowd.com
I just don't understand why the government is so stubborn. I mean they could make money on it if it was legal, right?

Jcb890

I just don't understand why the government is so stubborn. I mean they could make money on it if it was legal, right?

Follow the other money. Private prisons, pharmaceuticals, alcohol.
IMO, the government has the ability to set the market and price everyone out, reaping all of the profits. They are already raking in the tax money in Colorado and other states from it. On a wider scale than CO, the government could easily produce enough quality product to price out the majority of those who wouldn't grow their own as a hobby anyways.

Its the government though, so I'm sure they won't do it right.