• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

legalize it already

jaja111

Reason #4529 to move. I just wasn't surprised he took that stance. Aside from presidential aspirations I believe law enforcement groups and the religious conservatives played a role. Don't forget, most everything north of Westchester and Rockland counties is pretty red.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Governor Lynch is going to veto a medicinal bill in NH as well. I'd imagine his wife being a pediatrician has something to do with it.

bigbog

Reason #4529 to move. I just wasn't surprised he took that stance. Aside from presidential aspirations I believe law enforcement groups and the religious conservatives played a role. Don't forget, most everything north of Westchester and Rockland counties is pretty red.

HUGE anti-drug budgets = big salaries....

drjeff

For those in favor, would you want to do it infront of say your 5yr old kid? (And then try and explain to them that smoking ANYTHING isn't healthy??

If the answer is "no" then why bother in the 1st place??

deadheadskier

Staff member
For those in favor, would you want to do it infront of say your 5yr old kid? (And then try and explain to them that smoking ANYTHING isn't healthy??

From a medicinal use standpoint; I'd have a much harder time explaining to my 5 year old why some people who are ill and use it for relief are thrown in jail for obtaining marijuana illegally and why the government prohibits a naturally growing substance that can help many people.

From a recreational use standpoint; I think there would be many more life tragedies from alcohol usage that I'd have to explain to a 5 year old than I would about marijuana use. How often do you hear of someone assaulting, murdering or dying in an accident while under the influence of marijuana? Not very often, yet with alcohol, those stories are in every newspaper in the country pretty much daily.

From a health standpoint; you don't have to smoke marijuana. There are perfectly healthy ways of ingesting it.

From an economic standpoint, marijuana law enforcement costs BILLIONS with zero affect on usage levels. Taxing and regulating marijuana would create BILLIONS in tax revenue.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I'm having a safety meeting right now.

The argument about the 5 year old is moot. People do way worse things to/around their kids.
The unhealthy argument is moot. We're the worlds biggest hypocrites.
The gateway argument is false. That's like saying milk is a gateway to whiskey. :blink:

Public support is at all time highs. In October, 2011 a Gallup survey for legalizing was greater then not. Good thing we don't live in a democracy.:rolleyes:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150149/Record-High-Americans-Favor-Legalizing-Marijuana.aspx

HowieT2

If it is legalized what would they use to arrest all the kids in nyc?
Seriously, what a joke.
And smoking in front a 5 year old? What about cigars? Shoudl they be illegal too? What about horror movies? Wouldnt want my 5 year old to see them, so lets ban that too.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I'm having a safety meeting right now.

The argument about the 5 year old is moot. People do way worse things to/around their kids.
The unhealthy argument is moot. We're the worlds biggest hypocrites.
The gateway argument is false. That's like saying milk is a gateway to whiskey. :blink:

Public support is at all time highs. In October, 2011 a Gallup survey for legalizing was greater then not. Good thing we don't live in a democracy.:rolleyes:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150149/Record-High-Americans-Favor-Legalizing-Marijuana.aspx

like.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

Absolutely. If someone wants to smoke pot in front of their kids, cool. Big difference between occasionally enjoy marijuana and cigs, in my opinion having smoked neither but having tolerance for friends getting high but not much tolerance for anyone smoking cigs near me. Alcohol has done far worse things to people but no one has a problem with that. We could all just raise kids in a vacuum. Or we can teach them to be responsible. Most people who "think of the children" are just setting their children up to act out...

SkiFanE

I'd never smoke pot in front of my kid legal or not, I'm old and just wired that way lol.

Hubby and I were packing flask for our kid-free Easter hike to ski. 16yo asked why were going to drink in afternoon. I didn't have an answer! Said we are going to ski afterwards and it won't be much and well be ok to drive back. 'So, why?'. Finally came up with "because we are adults and we can and we want to". Fail? Lol. Just a couple months ago she overheard I had a fake ID in college to drink and she was shocked I would before legal, I was shocked she thought that was weird lol (i got myself a very good girl).

Moderation whatever it is, that's the take-away.

drjeff

Absolutely. If someone wants to smoke pot in front of their kids, cool. Big difference between occasionally enjoy marijuana and cigs, in my opinion having smoked neither but having tolerance for friends getting high but not much tolerance for anyone smoking cigs near me. Alcohol has done far worse things to people but no one has a problem with that. We could all just raise kids in a vacuum. Or we can teach them to be responsible. Most people who "think of the children" are just setting their children up to act out...

There's raising kids in a vacuum, and then there's raising kids in reality, and there's a HUGE difference.

Vacuum tends to not just try and insulate kids from everything (bad iea IMHO) but it also insulates kids frm the concept that there can (and often are) real consequences for one's actions - Smoking pot in this case, there's the consequences of not what justcan happen on a legal standoint, but also from a lung function standpoint and how that can have effects on a kids athletic ability let alone what it can do to one's oral health (and that is an issue reguardless of what is producing the smoke) and then if you're talking with an adolescent, the phrase that I often use when dicussing the effects of smoking with my own adolescent patients is "would you like to kiss an ash tray, since that's what you breath can smell like"

In general, as someone who has to discuss many disease processes with people that are a direct function of THEIR own actions, when their answers start with something like "well it's just......" or "I only do that once in a while" an answer that starts with a modifying excuse, tends to just be an excuse so that the person making the excuse doesn't have to deal wit the fact that they're doing something they know they shouldn't be doing

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
So alcohol good, pot bad? If I had kids, I'd rather they be home and stoned than drinking and driving. (I'm using alcohol here because I know you drink beer per your posts about the Mount Snow bar, so just using a juxtaposition of vice here).

There are a lot of very high level athletes that smoke up. Smoking pot equals poor athletics? Really?

Freedom baby, freedom. Otherwise, let's go back to prohibition. We all have our vices, few of us live a 100% completely healthy lifestyle. Pretty judgmental to determine your vice is acceptable but someone else's is not. After all, drinking beer isn't exactly healthy and it is a leading cause of violence and shortened lifespan. You drink in front of your kids?

Geoff

I grew up in a home where I was encouraged to drink and get to know my limits. When I went off to college, I could put it down when I had to and get my work done. A lot of my peers had the leash removed for the first time and flunked out. I've never understood today's bizarre attitude towards teen drinking where parents can get arrested for allowing minors to drink. It's the exact opposite of how I was raised and I think is the source of a lot of alcohol problems.

I smoked an awful lot of pot as a young adult. Again, I learned how to put it down and deal with the more important things in my life when many of my peers didn't. The older I got, the less getting high appealed to me. I think you metabolize it differently when you're a teen or in your early 20's. It started turning me into a potted plant and there was no enjoyment in that. I prefer achieving things in my life over sitting around getting stoned.

I've written this before and it's unpopular among the stoner crowd but I'm against legalizing marijuana. My concern is over the draconian laws they're going to pass where you give an implied consent to a blood test for drugs the same way you now give an implied consent to the police giving you a breathalyzer test. I really don't want some moron cop with an attitude vampiring blood out of my arm because my eyes are bloodshot from swimming laps in the pool.

jlboyell

i hate the kid arguement. i choose not to have kids and i could care less about yours. medicinal marijuana is a joke. there should be no such thing as med marijuana. it should be completely legal, not prescription, not decriminalized, legal. so should everything else, but thats another story. if it stays illegal, huge salaries get paid to gov employees and drug cartels get bigger. quality fluctuates. buying and selling is a black market, and we all know what that means. prohibition of alcohol created the biggest cash cow for organized crime at the time.
i know someone is going to say i dont have a right to decide what to ingest, but i do. this is from somebody who has never liked weed. if you think it being illegal stops it from getting used you are dead wrong. especially on the east coast, you can have whatever you want with little effort. instead of going to a store you end up in a sketchy neighborhood, and not everybodys a businessman

jlboyell

I've written this before and it's unpopular among the stoner crowd but I'm against legalizing marijuana. My concern is over the draconian laws they're going to pass where you give an implied consent to a blood test for drugs the same way you now give an implied consent to the police giving you a breathalyzer test. I really don't want some moron cop with an attitude vampiring blood out of my arm because my eyes are bloodshot from swimming laps in the pool.

Tis a sad state of affairs when you are willing to give up rights to avoid the effects of lazy 5-0. What about the draconian laws caused by alcohol that endorse illegal search and seizure (dui checkpoints) to "keep drunks off the road"

snoseek

I think it's fairly close(full legalization). What will likely happen is one state (maybe Cali) will fully legalize and others will follow (slowly). It will take a few more years as the older generation dies off.The money involved with privatized prisons could (or maybe has?) create a strong lobby against this however.

Drjeff-you are a conniseaur of beer no? Alcohol tends to lead to a WIDE assortment of health problems. I would assume you are aware of this, Shall I list them?

Many people that prefer not to actually smoke vaporize these days. Same effects-no harmful smoke. Also the edible market has taken off in places that legalize mmj.

I personally smoke as a bit of a self medicated purpose. It slows my brain down and allows me to focus. The point of smoking for me and many others is not to get plastered but receive some sort of benefit.Idon't always smoke and will take good long breaks from time to time, I feel very little dependency withdrawels when I stop. I would rather smoke than take big pharmas options.

I have now lived in two states that MMJ and legal growing is a way of life. The differences are hardly noticable, the quality is better, the police can focus on real criminals and the black market is virtually shut down. No more mexican brick weed! Why the hell would we give exorbant amounts of $$$ to cartels for an inferior product. Tax it at a normal rate and lets keep our wealth right here in the good ol usa!

PS-Scotty move to Colorado and I can hook you up with an excellent grower...

steamboat1

Whatever gets you through the night 'salright, 'salright
It's your money or life 'salright, 'salright
Don't need a sword to cut through flowers oh no, oh no

Whatever gets you through your life 'salright, 'salright
Do it wrong or do it right 'salright, 'salright
Don't need a watch to waste your time oh no, oh no

Whatever gets you to the light 'salright, 'salright
Out the blue or out of sight 'salright, 'salright
Don't need a gun to blow your mind oh no, oh no