• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

legalize it already

Jully

I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist; not my normal style. Tobacco is not harmless as you and others point out. Nicotine is addictive which in and of itself is very unhealthy.

Our government seems to support products that are addictive. Opioids, alcohol, tobacco etc. All OK by the government but these 3 products alone have lead to a health crisis in this country. Can you imagine how much healthier we would be as a country if these 3 products were illegal? Yet MJ is classified along with heroin as the most dangerous substances with no positive applications. Simply false regarding MJ.

I'm sick of the demonization. Our AG Jeff Sessions says that MJ has lead to the opioid crisis; one has nothing to do with the other. In fact, MJ could be a strong solution to that crisis. It makes me realize that government cares more for profit/tax revenue than the health of our citizens.

How our government classifies MJ is absolutely ludicrous, can't argue with you there. I am also sick of the demonization. Also, MJ 'causing' the opioid crisis is just hilarious.

JimG.

Staff member

I would be more impressed if his motivation was to legalize MJ because it is harmless and has beneficial uses.

Of course, his motivation is nothing but political. I have no doubt that enforcement targets minorities and low income areas. But why not just say "I want to legalize MJ because it is harmless"? Once it is legal, everything else he wants follows. His political approach simply makes reaching a consensus more difficult.

I do love the pic of the elderly lady with the sign.

Jully

I would be more impressed if his motivation was to legalize MJ because it is harmless and has beneficial uses.

Of course, his motivation is nothing but political. I have no doubt that enforcement targets minorities and low income areas. But why not just say "I want to legalize MJ because it is harmless"? Once it is legal, everything else he wants follows. His political approach simply makes reaching a consensus more difficult.

I do love the pic of the elderly lady with the sign.

Well I wonder if he truly believes it is also harmless, but that is more dangerous to say than the political reasons. As with all politicians, we do not really know how he truly feels. I'd like to think (maybe I'm being naive) that anyone who is pushing for something to be legalized must also feel that it is no threat. The reasoning he will publicly say will just be whatever is more palatable to most people.

JimG.

Staff member
Well I wonder if he truly believes it is also harmless, but that is more dangerous to say than the political reasons. As with all politicians, we do not really know how he truly feels. I'd like to think (maybe I'm being naive) that anyone who is pushing for something to be legalized must also feel that it is no threat. The reasoning he will publicly say will just be whatever is more palatable to most people.

I think he is trying to appeal to many constituencies at once; Most Americans (over 50%) believe it should be legal.

I may not agree with all of his motivations but I understand them and I applaud his effort.

dlague

So having lived in Colorado for a year and a half and living in El Paso County I have learned a few things. 1) there are lots of illegal growers. 2) the illegals are generally people from Cuba that are placed here from Florida cartel 3) the produce is then shipped out of state and sold illegally 4) when busted the people disappear and are never caught 5) in 2014 there were an estimated 150 illegal growers and now there are about 600 in this county alone and it is getting worse 6) the utility I work for gets 5-6 subpoenas per day 7) there is not enough man power to properly regulate what is going on. So much for legalization.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Legalization nationally would reduce many of those issues. Plenty of bad that goes with alcohol being legal. I'd argue that industry creates WAY more societal problems.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Another thought: If pot makes a dying person feel better, do we really have a right to restrict that?

Nope. And current restrictions are ludicrous and borne of ignorance. Anyone who would deny pot to alleviate the suffering of a terminally ill person is a monster.

The above paragraph I typed sounds dramatic but c’mon.

ScottySkis

:-(So i am done with Mary Jane.for using to it legal in ny.
I glad i used and know someday i will
hang with her again. I do not regret at all that me and Mary which is a mircale plant enjoyed by me for about20years.
I been on all the antidepressents and none have worked. If in not done Mary Jane I probally would killed myself.
The only time I laugh, or am happy or smilling or having conservations is when I use.
This thread is like 110 pages and still going.
Hopefully will be able to close this thead before it gets to150 pages. I unforunaltly doubt that will happen.
:-x:-:)-:)-:)-x

Jcb890

Just a thought, but many people are claiming pot gives them relief from the ills of cancer and cancer treatments. I also see where some treatments that are legal, are leading to opioid addictions which can last a lifetime.

Another thought: If pot makes a dying person feel better, do we really have a right to restrict that?
Nope. And current restrictions are ludicrous and borne of ignorance. Anyone who would deny pot to alleviate the suffering of a terminally ill person is a monster.

The above paragraph I typed sounds dramatic but c’mon.
I think we all know how and why. There are a few reasons...

1 - They haven't figured out the best way to tax and make government money off of it yet.
2 - They also haven't found a way to get people in trouble for abusing it or being under the influence of it.
3 - IMO, the biggest opponent to medical marijuana or marijuana being used for medicinal purposes is, obviously, the pharmaceutical companies. Big Pharma is making billions pushing opiates. They don't care how it destroys people's lives or creates addicts.

People who want to use it are going to use it. Legality hasn't stopped them before and won't now.

Those possibly being hurt are the people who really MIGHT benefit from MMJ use - people with severe migraine issues, those who suffer from regular seizures, people in constant pain due to other treatments or their disease, or like you guys mentioned, how about something as "simple" as allowing someone on chemotherapy to have an appetite so they can eat?

I personally know someone who deals with constant migraine issues due to a chronic kidney disease... they were prescribed pills for years, but a few years back she became concerned and wanted to stop because she noticed she was slurring her words, forgetting things, etc. It turns out these were side effects of prolonged use. Another side effect of most migraine medication? Most wouldn't guess... but a common side effect is migraines. Vicodin will take the pain away from the migraine, but what about the migraine from after taking a Vicodin? Opioids are terrible and should not be prescribed to most people.

People need to know whether there are medical uses and whether it is truly good or possibly just a great placebo. I'll tell you right now that it helps this person greatly I referenced above from a migraine standpoint. She very rarely has migraines and if she does, she can take care of it without fearing her words being slurred, forgetting things or fear of a migraine the next day.

I have another example also - blood pressure. Most people know using marijuana will speed up the heart, but that is not the issue here. I have seen this same person's blood pressure go from dangerously high to normal within 5 minutes after imbibing.

What really should be happening is testing and then when they're done with that, more testing. A major problem with MMJ right now is that we just don't know.

SkiFanE

I heard something last week that kinda astounded me. With all the worry about opioid addiction (33k deaths or something/year) - alcohol kills something like 50k/year. Where is the outrage? No script needed. Just gives you pause as to how our culture views different vices. I am not sure how many people die of marijuana complications.