• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

legalize it already

snoseek

It may be concerning, and there is always a part of the media that wants to incite "the sky is falling". If they can do that and sell papers, they have done their job.

The reality, I suspect is a little closer to this. The feds won't get involved until it comes to crossing state lines, same as it always has been. In the whole scheme of things, this is truly small potatoes to them. Move a couple million in weed from Maine to New Jersey, you're gonna catch their eye, of course. Johnny growing a couple plants in his back yard and sharing a joint with his buddy..... does anyone really think the feds are going raid his back yard?

Where this could get interesting is much like the NFL has handled it. They are very clear that they don't care if certain states allow, the NFL does not, part of the deal. If you want a federal job, it might behoove you to play by their rules and make sure you don't fail one of their tests. The federal jobs do a whole lot more testing than a mom and pop sandwich shop.

While I agree with you on the media I listened to the press conference last night and can only say I walked away from it feeling concerned. There's a lot of money between Pharma, private prison lobby, police unions and alcohol/tobacco. Mr Sessions isn't exactly pot friendly either.

Why would they link use of cannabis to an increase in opioid use...there's been studies that suggest the opposite. To me this sounds like a reboot of the war on drugs and I'm thinking the checked just cleared from one of these lobbies(private prisons???).

If it all goes as you stated then ok, fine but its pretty early in this administrations tour to be bringing up stances on this considering other things going on around the world. I guess we wait and see

Edit-I just realized I got going on politics which I generally dislike online, especially here in particular. To anyone reading this I apologize but its sorta in context for this topic.

JimG.

Staff member
It's about time there was some good news in politics lmao. I bet the aging population that thought it was evil is dying off and youngstahs are taking their place in voting booths. Thank goodness.

I have heard this argument about aging people dying off applied to racism too.

You are being very naïve if you think such deep seated issues will be solved by blaming older people and wishing for them to die off.

snoseek

You are being very naïve if you think such deep seated issues will be solved by blaming older people and wishing for them to die off.

According to my facebook feed there's a fresh new batch of racist, sexist, homophobe feed ready to fill that position as soon as this batch dies off. I really need to thin out my friends list.....

People that I knew in my 20's really have made a big change over the years. I've deleted some for downright racism and crude stuff. Its so disappointing and sad

JimG.

Staff member
According to my facebook feed there's a fresh new batch of racist, sexist, homophobe feed ready to fill that position as soon as this batch dies off. I really need to thin out my friends list.....

People that I knew in my 20's really have made a big change over the years. I've deleted some for downright racism and crude stuff. Its so disappointing and sad

I would say the younger generation has "new and improved" crude.

Edd

While I agree with you on the media I listened to the press conference last night and can only say I walked away from it feeling concerned. There's a lot of money between Pharma, private prison lobby, police unions and alcohol/tobacco. Mr Sessions isn't exactly pot friendly either.

Why would they link use of cannabis to an increase in opioid use...there's been studies that suggest the opposite. To me this sounds like a reboot of the war on drugs and I'm thinking the checked just cleared from one of these lobbies(private prisons???)

Bingo x10. Private prisons, in particular, are a sick concept. The only thing that comforts me is that California, with its massive population, recently approved recreational. With them on board it'll be tougher to put a stop to it.

snoseek

This is exactly what I assumed would happen. Big business has not figured out how to maximally profit screw the MJ consumer so legalization will wait.

I hope it never happens.

I'm ok with leaving up to the states and working towards reclassifying it federally.

snoseek

Bingo x10. Private prisons, in particular, are a sick concept. The only thing that comforts me is that California, with its massive population, recently approved recreational. With them on board it'll be tougher to put a stop to it.

The private prison thing is just totally fucked for sooo many reasons.

ScottySkis

Skiing under the influence...... Not a big fan of it. I've been personally impacted by blitzed skiers in the past (Not sure what they were blitzed by...) I have nothing against anyone having a beer or three or a joint or three, but if you are inhibited, please, don't endanger others.
You know how many if my snowboarding and ski friends who use Mary Jane while participate Ing in this amazing fin hobby's Here you be very surprised it just makes skiing snowboarding experience even better
If you combine that statement with drinking alcohol while skiing or snowboarding than I agree with your statement.
Stoners and mountain fun times goes together.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

SkiFanE

Sure with racism. But with MJ - I'm pretty sure it's a generational thing. Obama v Trump - nearly 30 years apart and much different attitudes - which I think reflects their respective generations. But Trumps linking of pot to the Opiod problem is laughable and sounds like a typical 77yo mans argument (except Willie Nelson of course )

Jully

Sure with racism. But with MJ - I'm pretty sure it's a generational thing. Obama v Trump - nearly 30 years apart and much different attitudes - which I think reflects their respective generations. But Trumps linking of pot to the Opiod problem is laughable and sounds like a typical 77yo mans argument (except Willie Nelson of course )

Be careful of the GATEWAY DRUG!!!

JimG.

Staff member

You are naïve and I totally disagree. This has nothing to do with the preferences or biases of older people! This is all about big business plotting to corner and dominate the future MJ market. Create fear in the populace, then swoop in with government regulation that favors already rich businesses. FDA anyone?

Obama did nothing to promote the legalization process either. What different attitudes are you talking about? Obama was the champion of government regulation. If anything the current administration is less so in that regard for many issues. But a trillion dollar windfall like MJ legalization is too tempting for any political/business partnership to ignore regardless of generational differences.

These people want you to think it is a generational issue. Divide and conquer; get the masses riled up against each other so they are too distracted to see the money grab. Wake up!!

Edd

You are naïve and I totally disagree. This has nothing to do with the preferences or biases of older people! This is all about big business plotting to corner and dominate the future MJ market. Create fear in the populace, then swoop in with government regulation that favors already rich businesses. FDA anyone?

Are you suggesting that MJ tolerance is equivalent between the older and younger generations? That seems naive to me.

The previous administration was generally hands off with state legalization. That's a relatively new thing.

The current administration has hired an AG with a well established history of being anti-MJ.

I completely agree that big business wants its seat at the table, but that's like saying water is wet. With booze and all of the legal prescription drugs that are far more harmful being available, I see little problem with complete recreational legalization. Let the cash flow. I just don't want people to be criminals for doing something that is so not a big deal.

JimG.

Staff member
Are you suggesting that MJ tolerance is equivalent between the older and younger generations? That seems naive to me.

I was not suggesting anything of the sort.

That would depend on your definition of "younger" and "older" generations anyway. Sort of like defining "tight trees" or "expert skier". There are plenty of older folks who support MJ legalization and there are plenty of younger folks who vehemently oppose it.

You have fallen into the exact trap set for you that I described above...let's disagree about the values of different generations rather than the real issue at hand, legalization. Let's fight with each other instead of joining together to fight the good fight.

Edd

I was not suggesting anything of the sort.

That would depend on your definition of "younger" and "older" generations anyway. Sort of like defining "tight trees" or "expert skier". There are plenty of older folks who support MJ legalization and there are plenty of younger folks who vehemently oppose it.

You have fallen into the exact trap set for you that I described above...let's disagree about the values of different generations rather than the real issue at hand, legalization. Let's fight with each other instead of joining together to fight the good fight.

SkiFanE was suggesting that the ages of the most recent 2 presidents influences their attitudes regarding MJ. I'll point out here that Trump is 70, not 77. But, they are clearly from different generations.

I agree that that's not the most important thing, but the ages of the elected officials and the voters are certainly a factor in how this plays out. I find that to be an obvious truth.

JimG.

Staff member
SkiFanE was suggesting that the ages of the most recent 2 presidents influences their attitudes regarding MJ. I'll point out here that Trump is 70, not 77. But, they are clearly from different generations.

I agree that that's not the most important thing, but the ages of the elected officials and the voters are certainly a factor in how this plays out. I find that to be an obvious truth.

Then we disagree. Baby Boomers are the older generation we are talking about here. Summer of Love? Hippies? Woodstock?

Yeah, Baby Boomers hate MJ.

Americans prefer conflict amongst themselves to constructive cooperation. Politicians of EVERY persuasion use this to divide us and put us into boxes to pit one against the other. And we happily swallow that poison.

Pathetic!

chuckstah

New sign in the Loon gondys. It doesn't smell like people are paying any attention lol.
efbce2aa1283a7b9ac2191cf28b9778e.jpg

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

NYDB

I don't like the rumblings coming out from sessions and bannon.

They are all about states rights when it comes to voting and education, hopefully they won't drive a hard line on recreational MJ

benski

I don't like the rumblings coming out from sessions and bannon.

They are all about states rights when it comes to voting and education, hopefully they won't drive a hard line on recreational MJ

Its about states rights till they can impose there policies onto states that don't want it.