Colo. sets fatality record

AlpineZone

Colo. sets fatality record

...at 20. Another dubious distinction for a disappointing season.

http://www.skisafety-blog.com/2012/0..._wit.html#more
    If it's snowin' I'm goin'

seems like a lot of death this season..
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

2011/12 Days:
    12/20, 12/29, 1/11, 1/22, 1/25, 2/5,2/19, 3/30, 3/31, 4/1
    2012/13 Days: 12/27, 12/28, 1/5, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 3/21, 3/23, 3/24

Statistically speaking, you're more likely to die driving to/from the mountain.
    Days on snow: 35

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to die driving to/from the mountain.
    Risk can be cumulative. If you are driving AND skiing in a day you've increased your overall risk for that day as compared to only driving.

Is that Colorado?

Yeah I mean it is somewhat sensationalized (not to those who know someone who died) but millions and millions of skier visits each year and the death rate is incredibly low. I don't really consider skiing an "extreme" sport unless you are really hucking huge cliffs and engaging in risky behavior. Your are way more likely to damage your knee or break a bone than anything else.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

2011/12 Days:
    12/20, 12/29, 1/11, 1/22, 1/25, 2/5,2/19, 3/30, 3/31, 4/1
    2012/13 Days: 12/27, 12/28, 1/5, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 3/21, 3/23, 3/24

Silver Couloir is a pretty tame line compared to other ones in that area. I imagine the snow pack was the culprit. It probably wasn't what he thought it was and ran over something that caused him to fall. Of course, this is just speculation based on my own experience there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    Risk can be cumulative. If you are driving AND skiing in a day you've increased your overall risk for that day as compared to only driving.
    You forgot to factor in the health risks for the on mountain cheeseburger...or worse...fries n' chicken tender combo.
    Days on snow: 35

^ Or the consequent heart-attack induced by the prices for said burger and chicken tenders.

Is 20 the record for fatalities in CO in a season? Other than the headline, the article doesn't say anything about that stat. I would suspect that the record would be more than that.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

I wonder if Colorado results will end up breaking a new high for skier deaths in the USA.

On the east coast I think the number of skier and rider deaths is low compared to other years. Here is what I know of so far on the east coast:

Jay Peak Feb 2012

Surgarbush Feb 2012

7 Springs Jan 2012

Sugarloaf Jan 2012

Thread Information