• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A New Kind of Snowcat: Avalanche Rescue Cats

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was in my supermarket last night and saw on the front page of Backcountry Skiing Magazine a headline that said: Avalanche Rescue Cats. The article chronicles a new organization in Canada known as The Canadian Avalanche Rescue Cat Association or better known as CARCA.

CARCA_1-1024x580.png

Training.jpg

Turns out that a Canadian documentary film maker just did a film on this new movement that is featured in the Banff Mountain Film Festival.

The guy says that cats are better because they eat less, weigh less, can be carried to the avalanche site, and are cheaper to maintain. So far it looks like Fernie is the only place with them.

Last edited:

wa-loaf

I'm sorry but the videos and writing all say farce to me. I think you've been had TB.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm sorry but the videos and writing all say farce to me. I think you've been had TB.

These guys reported on it. I think it is funny, but I don't think it is a farce.

EDIT: I guess it is a big spoof! Too funny! :lol:

The short film follows his fictional struggle for feline recruits to be accepted by the canine-biased avalanche industry, and comes with a snappy tag line: they have nine lives, because you only have one.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I re-read the Backcountry article and if it is indeed a farce they seem to have taken it as well, hook, line and sinker! :lol:

jaja111

I saw this thread title on another forum and thought of snow cats, like bombardiers... with tracks, used for high speed response to avalanche scenes. I didn't have time to click on the thread but thought, yeah.... that's a good idea. I had NO idea.

Cornhead

I have heard some women have trained cats to do things with peanut butter. :puke:

Make sandwiches? :dontknow: I don't think cats eat peanut butter, do they? We had a cat who would eat a full breakfast, bacon, eggs, and toast. Everything but coffee. Gotta be better than cat food, yuck. The only drawback I can see to being a house cat.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
wow i knew the second i saw that it was a joke. I mean the guy skiing down the mountain with the cat i the box? :lol:

That would be hilarious though.

abc

Perhaps if the back country skiers all carry some fish in their backpack, rescue cats might start scratching? ;)

Cornhead

With such an important role in rescues, they'd have to be tested for cat nip.:wink: