• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Road Bike Buying Advice

BackLoafRiver

Hey all,

So, to supplement my MTB I decided I'd like to get into road riding. Not at any competitive level but enough so I could do something like the Trek Across Maine or the Dempsy Challenge. It would be great to ride to work. Also, everyone says that the weight comes off like nothing when you ride road.

I know that demoing is key and here is what I have found so far:

2011 Specialized Allez Comp (left over from last season) - has Sram Apex stuff
2012 Trek 1.2
2012 Trek 1.5
2012 Trek 2.1 - Priciest option so far.

I'd love to keep it around $1k or slightly under if possible.

Any thoughts are appreciated. There are 4 good shops in a 20 mile radius that I would check out.

MR. evil

I would also look around for used options. Road bikes don't really get beat on like MTB and you can get a pretty nice used road bike for under a grand. I purchased a used Spesh Rouxbai (full carbon frame / fork) with a mix of Shimmano 105 and Ultegra for $800 last spring.

Something I can't stress enough is make sure you get a proper fitting bike and then pay extra to have it professionally setup for you. This is much more important on a road bike vs MTB because on the road bike you spend almost all of your time in the saddle. If its not setup right or too big / too small you will possibly get repetitive stress injuries.

BackLoafRiver

I would also look around for used options. Road bikes don't really get beat on like MTB and you can get a pretty nice used road bike for under a grand. I purchased a used Spesh Rouxbai (full carbon frame / fork) with a mix of Shimmano 105 and Ultegra for $800 last spring.

Something I can't stress enough is make sure you get a proper fitting bike and then pay extra to have it professionally setup for you. This is much more important on a road bike vs MTB because on the road bike you spend almost all of your time in the saddle. If its not setup right or too big / too small you will possibly get repetitive stress injuries.

Did you go through your shop or private sale?

My former boss is a pretty competitive road rider. He swears by Back Bay Cycles in Portland to set up the bike. Fairly certain I will head there once I have the bike picked out. (I need to call them to see if they have a selection of used stuff as well)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Wow, I can't believe what Trek charges. Just looked up the price and Trek 1.2 is MSRP at almost a thousand dollars for Sora 9 speed. W-T-F.

First thing I would do to narrow it down is decide on your crank: triple, compact, or standard. That will rule out some of your considerations right there. Everyone has different preferences and it is hard to know which you'd prefer without having tried them. Definitely no shame in riding a triple. Compact is a good compromise but has a major PITA in the shifting since you're dealing with a large to small jump of 16 teeth instead of the standard 14.

I'd strongly recommend Tiagra/105 shifters or better if you get Shimano components. My partner has Sora on her road bike, ick. Not recommended. SRAM is pretty much all the same on the front shifting, so anything there is fine. If you can try both systems before buying, that will be good so you can pick which one you prefer.

If you want to ride to work or are doing any rides that require you to pack something, you might want to consider a bike that you can add panniers or whatnot to.

Not sure how MTB sizing works but with road bikes it is all about the top tube (and I'd argue head tube length). Some bikes have "compact geometry" with sloping top tubes. So two bikes with the same seat post length might fit radically different. So go by fit, not the size number.

If you are really confident in sizing and don't care about supporting the LBS, there are a lot of alternatives available online with better components at cheaper prices. But if you are at all unsure on sizing, better to try them out at the LBS and get the right fit.

If you can find used bikes in your area, try to go that route. The major bike companies all have crap at $1k or below and not much better just over $1k. But you might be able to find a nice 3 year old $2k bike used for half its original price.

Don't forget all the extras in factoring in your cost. Pedals, shoes, etc.

The weight definitely comes off big time! Just takes a few rides a week with progressively longer distances. Can't wait to get back into shape this summer.

BackLoafRiver

First thing I would do to narrow it down is decide on your crank: triple, compact, or standard.

Ok...so, there's a great point/ question there. Never having done ANY road riding, I don't know the differences between them.

I'd strongly recommend Tiagra/105 shifters or better if you get Shimano components.

I was hoping to get at least Tiagra on the bike. I guess i hadn't noticed the sora components on the 1.2 Kinda rules that out. Thoughts on the Sram Apex stuff? (on my MTB I run XT so I am unfamiliar with their stuff)

If you want to ride to work or are doing any rides that require you to pack something, you might want to consider a bike that you can add panniers or whatnot to.

I can leave work stuff there...I dont carry a laptop or anything to and from. Just the essentials.

Its funny...in trek sizing, I am a 52, tops. I am going to check the sizing on the Specialized.

This is the leftover I am looking at:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=11Allez

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Regarding the crank, part of it can be determined by the amount of hills you plan on riding and your fitness level. Lots of hill, you might want to consider a triple or compact. Not many hills, a standard 53/39 works fine with the right cassette. Triple gives you more one tooth jump gearing options whereas a compact spreads you out a little more.

That Allez looks nice especially if you can get a deal on last year's model. I don't particularly care for the gearing with 52/36 chainrings and an 11-28t cassette. It has good low end but that is really spread out. But if its your first road bike, you won't know the difference. ;)

If you can try both the SRAM and Shimano, that would be worth your effort. Both systems are fine, it is individual preference. From what I understand, the Apex shifting is practically similar to the higher end options, just not as light weight or refined or whatever. So Apex is fine. SRAM doesn't have junky lower end road groups to avoid like Shimano does.

BackLoafRiver

Follow Up #1

Went to 4 shops today to get on some bikes.

3 out of 4 had nothing in my size and could only special order.

Shop 4 had the Allez Comp that I was looking at. As it turns out, it wasn't my size either. :uzi: But he still set it up so I could get a feel for the bike.

A 54 wasn't grossly large, just big enough so I felt awkward in the cockpit.

Luckily, he had a 52 Tarmac leftover in the basement. Same basic bike as the Allez comp, SRAM Apex drivetrain, same gear ratio...just a carbon frame. What a ride! Fast, nimble and fun. Also....about $500 out of my price range. :angry:

The search continues.

One other note, the SRAM shifters are the double click setup which I thought would bung me all up but are much more intuitive than I thought. I didn't hate it and, truth be told, kinda liked it.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Went to 4 shops today to get on some bikes.

3 out of 4 had nothing in my size and could only special order.

Shop 4 had the Allez Comp that I was looking at. As it turns out, it wasn't my size either. :uzi: But he still set it up so I could get a feel for the bike.

A 54 wasn't grossly large, just big enough so I felt awkward in the cockpit.

Luckily, he had a 52 Tarmac leftover in the basement. Same basic bike as the Allez comp, SRAM Apex drivetrain, same gear ratio...just a carbon frame. What a ride! Fast, nimble and fun. Also....about $500 out of my price range. :angry:

The search continues.

One other note, the SRAM shifters are the double click setup which I thought would bung me all up but are much more intuitive than I thought. I didn't hate it and, truth be told, kinda liked it.

IMHO, wait, save and spend the $500 and get that full carbon frame.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If the 52 Tarmac fit you well, then a 52 Allez Comp should be just as good. The geo looks almost the same. The Allez Comp has an extra cm of head tube which if anything is a little more relaxed but nothing to drastic. That is bizarre that three shops didn't have anything in your size during prime buying season.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
IMHO, wait, save and spend the $500 and get that full carbon frame.
Or he could put that money towards nice wheels. :beer:

I don't see any reason for someone buying their first road bike to need to splurge on carbon. Ride quality can be improved often times by getting wider tires and lowering tire pressure accordingly.

I make this point despite currently having an AL frame and already knowing I am going to upgrade to carbon in the next year or two. 8) But when I first bought the bike, I had no idea I was going to take to it quite the way I did.

BackLoafRiver

If the 52 Tarmac fit you well, then a 52 Allez Comp should be just as good. The geo looks almost the same. The Allez Comp has an extra cm of head tube which if anything is a little more relaxed but nothing to drastic. That is bizarre that three shops didn't have anything in your size during prime buying season.

Yeah, thought so too. 54 a plenty but nothing in 52.

The price difference between a new Allez and the Tarmac was only $350.

marcski

Or he could put that money towards nice wheels. :beer:

I don't see any reason for someone buying their first road bike to need to splurge on carbon. Ride quality can be improved often times by getting wider tires and lowering tire pressure accordingly.

I make this point despite currently having an AL frame and already knowing I am going to upgrade to carbon in the next year or two. 8) But when I first bought the bike, I had no idea I was going to take to it quite the way I did.

Go back to your bike buying thread, Riv....I said the same thing to you then too! :beer:.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Go back to your bike buying thread, Riv....I said the same thing to you then too! :beer:.
:D

I stand behind the idea that for a first bike, you don't need to go crazy. Besides, now I can have TWO bikes! N+1 style. I can retain the AL for a bad weather, winter trainer, high gearing for massive hills (think Kanc Pass with a 30/28 bail option), etc. and have the nice carbon for everyday riding.

:beer:

But for $350, why not, lol.

I was pretty restricted on funds but then and my budget was much lower. I ended up with an $800 AL 105 bike. I didn't know enough to run the used market so the jump to carbon was too much for my budget. My budget is a little bigger now. :D

MR. evil

Keep in mind that when buying a Spesh, Trek, Cannondale, etc you are not only paying for a bike but also the name on the down tube. You will be able to stretch your money further if you look at some of the bike company's that are not house hold names such as Jamis and Giant to name a couple.

BackLoafRiver

Keep in mind that when buying a Spesh, Trek, Cannondale, etc you are not only paying for a bike but also the name on the down tube. You will be able to stretch your money further if you look at some of the bike company's that are not house hold names such as Jamis and Giant to name a couple.

Good points. I did a little research and came up with another option or two:

1) Giant Defy 1 - approx $1350 retail and a local shop has one in my size.(M)

2) Jamis Ventura Race - same price point but it only comes in a 51 or 54.

marcski

I love my Giant TCR. It is about 6 yrs old 10K+ miles going strong. Upgraded my wheels 2 summers ago. Other than that, I've only needed to replace parts as they've worn. (Brake calipers, btm bracket, crank, of course a bunch of cassettes and chains).

I think the Defy is the "relaxed" geometry version. Find a bike that is comfortable size wise. Each Co. sizes differently so you really have to sit/ride on each bicycle. IMHO, if it is similarly spec'd as far as components and price, the name on the tubes makes little difference these days. Almost every company sponsers a pro race team. It's all trickle down technology from that.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think the Defy is the "relaxed" geometry version. Find a bike that is comfortable size wise. Each Co. sizes differently so you really have to sit/ride on each bicycle.
The fit can even be different within each brand. The fit between race oriented, race influenced, and relaxed/compact bikes is going to be noticeable even within the same "size".

BLR -- If you find you like the fit of certain bikes more than other bikes, note the effective top tube length and head tube length and use the manufacturer's web sites to spec out the geometry for sizing. Seat tube length is meaningless when sizing out bikes even those most bike manufacturers still use it to label bike sizes.

Last edited:

MR. evil

The fit can even be different within each brand. The fit between race oriented, race influenced, and relaxed/compact bikes is going to be noticeable even within the same "size".

BLR -- If you find you like the fit of certain bikes more than other bikes, note the effective top tube length and head tube length and use the manufacturer's web sites to spec out the geometry for sizing. Seat tube length is meaningless when sizing out bikes even those most bike manufacturers still use it to label bike sizes.

Many of the upper end MTB makers are stating to use Reach and Stack for sizing bikes as its a more meaning full way to size a bike vs TT and ST lengths. I wonder if road bikes will soon follow