• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Road pedals

MR. evil

Just make sure the hole pattern matches the cleat pattern.

I got some Specialized Comps that accept 2 bolt, 3 bolt & 4 bolt pattern cleats. I know for a fact that both Shimano and Speedplay will work with them.

MR. evil

That is a great price and they seem to get very good reviews. Will also be easier to walk with compared to the Speedplay cleats. But then again I don't walk very much on road rides.

I really like that the speedplays have dual side entry and all the float and adjustments should be nicer on my knees. But they are twice as much as the 105s and the cleats look awkward. I really wish I could demo a pair of each.

MR. evil

Planning on heading to Suburban Sports at lunch today to pick up some pedals.

It dawned on my last night that when I used to use Shimano SPDs on my mountain bike I had some knee issues, but after switching to crankbrothers pedals that have a ton of float my knee issues went away. This has me wondering is the same will happen with Shimano road pedals. I think I may be swaying towards the SpeedPlays

o3jeff

Planning on heading to Suburban Sports at lunch today to pick up some pedals.

It dawned on my last night that when I used to use Shimano SPDs on my mountain bike I had some knee issues, but after switching to crankbrothers pedals that have a ton of float my knee issues went away. This has me wondering is the same will happen with Shimano road pedals. I think I may be swaying towards the SpeedPlays

They have a bunch of Look pedals there, I didn't read much about that brand but you might want to read up on it before you go.

MR. evil

Speedplays rock. I think the X2's that I have have the most free float. The zeros top out at I think 15 degrees or so.

the shop was out of the Zero's even though the web site said they had them in stock. I left with a pair of the Shimano 105's. I found another shop that has the Zero's in stock. May end up picking up the Zero's and returning the 105's

MR. evil

I also just picked up a pair of Speedplay zeros at my lbs, they gave me a killer deal. So for those keeping score that one pair of Shimano 105s and one pair of Speedplay Zeros both in the same day. Unless I am completely blown away by the Zeros and decide to return the 105s immediately, then I am going to try both pairs out for a while and do my own little test / review before selling the loosing pair for a small loss. I intentionally bought the slightly more expensive limited edition team Zeros (green pedal and clip) so if I don't like them they will be easier to unload.

Planning on a 40 plus miler in the morning to give the Speedplays a try.

o3jeff

I also just picked up a pair of Speedplay zeros at my lbs, they gave me a killer deal. So for those keeping score that one pair of Shimano 105s and one pair of Speedplay Zeros both in the same day. Unless I am completely blown away by the Zeros and decide to return the 105s immediately, then I am going to try both pairs out for a while and do my own little test / review before selling the loosing pair for a small loss. I intentionally bought the slightly more expensive limited edition team Zeros (green pedal and clip) so if I don't like them they will be easier to unload.

Planning on a 40 plus miler in the morning to give the Speedplays a try.

Why don't you use a different pedal for each foot for the test?

MR. evil

REALLY like the Speedplays, doubt I am even going to try the Shimano 105s. They are going back or getting sold. Love the free float on the Speedplays, they feel a lot like my CrankBrothers MTB pedals oonly better. I really wish i did the road shoes and pedals sooner. It could be a placebo effect from new gear, but it just ft like it took less effort to maintain the same speeds as on the MTB setup I was using.

In addition to today being my first ride on road pedals it was also my first half century. Rolled jut over 50 miles on a very hill route in just over 3 hours. Time to sit on the couch and veg.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
REALLY like the Speedplays, doubt I am even going to try the Shimano 105s. They are going back or getting sold. Love the free float on the Speedplays, they feel a lot like my CrankBrothers MTB pedals oonly better. I really wish i did the road shoes and pedals sooner. It could be a placebo effect from new gear, but it just ft like it took less effort to maintain the same speeds as on the MTB setup I was using.

In addition to today being my first ride on road pedals it was also my first half century. Rolled jut over 50 miles on a very hill route in just over 3 hours. Time to sit on the couch and veg.

Nice time, for a hilly 50. I've been espousing the speedplays for years.

I was at windham last weekend for the world-cup. Those guys are cool!

7483265856_5b12999409_z.jpg

BackLoafRiver

Took the plunge today and went with Sidi Genius 5's (which fit just like my dominators) and Speedplay Zero's. Since last year I have been battling patellar tendinitis and my therapist thought using mountain spd's on the road might be more harm than anything. It was a hefty chunk of change but after 22 miles, I am damned glad I did it. I need to give a little more float in the pedal but overall, I like them a lot. I have some issue getting clipped in as it usually takes a few tries.

marcski

Took the plunge today and went with Sidi Genius 5's (which fit just like my dominators) and Speedplay Zero's. Since last year I have been battling patellar tendinitis and my therapist thought using mountain spd's on the road might be more harm than anything. It was a hefty chunk of change but after 22 miles, I am damned glad I did it. I need to give a little more float in the pedal but overall, I like them a lot. I have some issue getting clipped in as it usually takes a few tries.

You will love both. I've had the Speedplay X-2's (free-float) in SS for about 6+ years and the same shoes for the past 3+. A cool, old-timer once told me, "You never want to cheap out on shorts or bike shoes." I've taken that advice to heart. IMHO, the extra money up front will go a long way. Enjoy.

BackLoafRiver

You will love both. I've had the Speedplay X-2's (free-float) in SS for about 6+ years and the same shoes for the past 3+. A cool, old-timer once told me, "You never want to cheap out on shorts or bike shoes." I've taken that advice to heart. IMHO, the extra money up front will go a long way. Enjoy.

Someone gave me the same advice once. Spent a bit on a pair of RBX shorts that my repair guy swears by. I absolutely love them. So much so that I want a second pair.

Is it strange that I went a half size smaller on my road shoe? They are slightly more snug than my MTB shoe but I was told that, since they stretch, it will be better in the long run. The big toe isn't cramped and there is enough room in the lower few toes to wiggle.

marcski

Someone gave me the same advice once. Spent a bit on a pair of RBX shorts that my repair guy swears by. I absolutely love them. So much so that I want a second pair.

Is it strange that I went a half size smaller on my road shoe? They are slightly more snug than my MTB shoe but I was told that, since they stretch, it will be better in the long run. The big toe isn't cramped and there is enough room in the lower few toes to wiggle.

Those Sidi's do stretch a bit. It's their synthetic leather, Lorica. I got mine in the Mega width...and they still fit great. You do want them snug, as long as they are comfy and not pinching anywhere. You'll be in them for a few good hours.

mlctvt

Good choice, you should be happy with them.

I've also Sidi Genius 5 Megas for road. These are the best road shoe I've ever used. I've got just over 21,000 miles on mine and they're still just as good as new. I did have to replace the heal pad a few times but that's undrestandable. You can also get replacement buckles at most good bike shops but I haven't had the need to so far. When the shoes get wet they dry out quickly and don't bleed color or change size/shrink after drying like some other shoes I've had.

I also have the Dominator Megas that I use on my cross bike, it's basically the same show except with a MTB sole. These have been great too.

BackLoafRiver

Logged about 150 or so miles on them so far. I have been VERY happy. Every once in a while my toes get numb but I notice that I am not really paying attention to my stroke. The Speedplay's feel awesome...definitely a different feel from my spd's. (as they should be)

My MTB shoes are amazing. I haven't had one issue with them yet. (knock on wood) Makes me wonder what the top of the line stuff feels like.

mlctvt

I had the same problem with my big toe going numb but only on very long rides. I replaced the stock insoles with Superfeet Yellow insoles which are recommended for cycling and I also went to a thinner sock (smartwool ultralights). No more numb toes now.

The thinner sock seems to be counter intuitive but I think my thicker socks were cutting off circulation.