• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2012, did you go pro?

rocojerry

I don't think you got sponsored, if you did, congrats!

but really, did you get yourself a POV cam?

what was your best 15-30 second clip of the year?

2012 seemed to be the year of the Go Pro, unless its still just the begining..... if you took some vid good footage of someone else -- i'd like to see those clips for comparison and off-season-drooling too!

SkiDork

hows the image stabilization on these? Some vids I see are pretty shaky while other look very stable. Whats the diff

HowieT2

this is from my Drift HD (not Go pro). I took the video and my buddy did the editing for a school ski trip promo. fwiw-very happy with the video quality of the camera.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pThBb5vjwsA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/pThBb5vjwsA

Last edited:

Cannonball

hows the image stabilization on these? Some vids I see are pretty shaky while other look very stable. Whats the diff

There is no image stabilization. Shaky vs not with a GoPro depends on how it's held or mounted. In general mounted to head vs body makes for more stable shots...it's amazing how much head stabilization you naturally do.

drjeff

My kids got me one for my birthday. My kids took a bunch of footage of their runs with it. I spent a bunch of time filling my hard drive with gig's of video, and I occasionally made a quick cameo in some of my kids videos ;)

SkiDork

it looks very stable to me whenever I see a ski pole mount looking back at the subject. Wonder why...

SkiDork

i like the side mount videos too. i think having the helmet in the shot provides a more stable picture experience. keeps my eye focused or something like that (not sure how to explain it).

I wonder if its possible to side mount the gopro

Mpdsnowman

I love my gopros. they work great.

Here is a short clip from the 2012 east coast meet at Jay Peak I put on every year.

I love gettn jiggy with it lol

I also use them for my fishing charters. I wont bore any skiers and riders with that lol....

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Check out the official AlpineZone Youtube Channel --> http://youtube.com/alpinezone

I'm trying to revive it a bit. I picked up a gopro this year, I put up two vids, one at Wachusett and one at MRG

I am working on one from the AZ summit still but it's kinda dull TBH, mostly groomers. Still some good shots of all the AZ'ers that showed up. I hope to have that done in the next week or two.

MadMadWorld

There is no image stabilization. Shaky vs not with a GoPro depends on how it's held or mounted. In general mounted to head vs body makes for more stable shots...it's amazing how much head stabilization you naturally do.

It also helps if your a decent skier. Some people forget the whole rule of look in the direction of where you are travelling....i.e. don't keep looking across the hill every time you make a turn!!!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
nice! I'm looking forward to the Wifi Bacpac. Supposed to be out this month. Means i can control from my arm and also use my phone to make sure the perspective is OK.