• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Red Sox 2012

kickstand

Hopefully he won't pull the old fake mustache trick like he did with the Mets.

Are you kidding me? I am hoping, praying, doing a dance that he does this. The media in Boston is already having a field day with him and this team. Could you imagine what would happen if he did this again? The inter-web/twittis-blog-osphere would go into hyper-drive and spin off its axis. I hope random people from the team are anonymously leaving fake mustaches on his desk every couple of days.

The only thing I could think of that would top this is if, after getting ejected, he came down thru the stands and asked to sit in the owner's seats that are right next to the dugout. Bud Selig's head would explode.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Bobby V mustache show is one of the great LOL moments in Baseball history. I too hope to see it again.

Geoff

My 2012 Red Sox boycott continues. I have not watched 1 nanosecond of the NESN feed. The way to fix this problem is to hit them where it counts.... their bottom line. Declining advertising revenue. Abandonment of the team by the suits and pink hats that make it impossible to see a live game at a reasonable price. I predict the home sellout streak will end in early May against Oakland or Seattle.

Beckett and Lackey are signed through 2014. Crawford is signed through 2017. It's not going to get any better. Larry Lucchino's players are going to be a sub-.500 team for several years. Until the owners wake up and realize that Lucchino is the problem, it's going to be a toxic clubhouse with 25 players and 25 limos. The way Lucchino threw everybody under the bus last September isn't something this team is going to recover from. They can't sign free agent talent because nobody wants to play for them. Thus the worst-in-the-majors bullpen.

It will be really nice to be able to show up at Fenway and buy tickets from a panicked scalper for 50 cents on the dollar. I think that is where this team is headed. When the Bruins and Celtics sucked, you could walk up and get a ticket to just about any game. Ditto the pre-Tom Brady Patriots. I predict the same is about to happen in Fenway Park.

I'm watching my baseball in Pawtucket this year.

kickstand

My 2012 Red Sox boycott continues. I have not watched 1 nanosecond of the NESN feed. The way to fix this problem is to hit them where it counts.... their bottom line. Declining advertising revenue. Abandonment of the team by the suits and pink hats that make it impossible to see a live game at a reasonable price. I predict the home sellout streak will end in early May against Oakland or Seattle.

Beckett and Lackey are signed through 2014. Crawford is signed through 2017. It's not going to get any better. Larry Lucchino's players are going to be a sub-.500 team for several years. Until the owners wake up and realize that Lucchino is the problem, it's going to be a toxic clubhouse with 25 players and 25 limos. The way Lucchino threw everybody under the bus last September isn't something this team is going to recover from. They can't sign free agent talent because nobody wants to play for them. Thus the worst-in-the-majors bullpen.

It will be really nice to be able to show up at Fenway and buy tickets from a panicked scalper for 50 cents on the dollar. I think that is where this team is headed. When the Bruins and Celtics sucked, you could walk up and get a ticket to just about any game. Ditto the pre-Tom Brady Patriots. I predict the same is about to happen in Fenway Park.

I'm watching my baseball in Pawtucket this year.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have not watched a single out this season (outside of being at a bar and having it on in the background). Last season, I didn't watch any baseball until September, although that was more about watching the B's until late June and then not being able to adjust to the slow pace of baseball after watching playoff hockey for 2 months.

2 falls ago, I got a marketing phone call in October or so, and it was clearly from a firm the Sox hired. They were asking all sorts of questions about why I wasn't watching, if I had heard of the players, how I felt about them, etc. etc. I basically told them I followed the Sox, but didn't watch much because of having young children and responsibilities around the house. I can't remember all the details of the call, but the guts of it was "what can they do to get us to watch?". That season, the Sox were ravaged by injuries late in the season, so not many on the September roster were household names. Lo and behold, that off-season they signed Carl Crawford to the most ridiculous contract this side of John Lackey's. After that call, I'm 100% they signed him only because he was a big name and it would get people to watch.

I don't agree with the 25 players/25 limos thing, though. I have a feeling a lot of them are good buddies, which sort of becomes the problem. The inmates are running the asylum. Love Pedroia, but mouthing off like he did to Bobby V ("That's not how we do things around here") was crap. Beckett needed to go. It's good Lackey won't be around this season, because he's an issue, too. I think those guys have ruled the roost for too long and aren't willing to change.

Hopefully this losing will drive the pink hats away. None of them knew what it was really like to be a Sox fan. They're getting their taste now. And if this drives ticket prices down so that I can actually afford to take my kids in 2 years, then I'm all for it.

And they really need to can "Sweet Caroline", unless they're up in the 8th. That should also get rid of some of the dead weight.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Agree that Pedrioa was in the wrong saying what he did about Bobby V. The manager should run the team and get the last say, not the players. Everyone on this Red Sox team has forgotten that. Pedrioa is the most likeable guy on the team, but he needs to STFU in those situations.

Then there's Gonzalez with his "People Gotta Eat" comment in regards to the Fried Chicken controversy last year. Through in his "It wasn't God's plan" for why they didn't make the playoffs and I think he's a complete loser. Amazing talent, but not a winning mindset.

From top to bottom the team is all excuses and no personal accountability. Makes them really difficult to watch.

soposkier

Tickets on stub hub can be had for under $10..http://www.stubhub.com/boston-red-sox-tickets/

Havent done it this season yet, but Ive got to imagine a $10 ticket would be pretty easy to find on the street, especially if you wait till after the first pitch to buy.

The sellouts are for all tickets sold, not actual gate attendance, so I could see that streak continuing.

Geoff

The sellouts are for all tickets sold, not actual gate attendance, so I could see that streak continuing.

Scalpers aren't going to buy up Tuesday Seattle 4pm game start tickets in early May. Unless the Sox start giving away thousands of tickets to games like those, the sellout streak ends.

JimG.

Staff member
The only thing I could think of that would top this is if, after getting ejected, he came down thru the stands and asked to sit in the owner's seats that are right next to the dugout. Bud Selig's head would explode.

I missed this part first read.

I would gladly come to Fenway in a Babe Ruth Yankees jersey and sit through endless abuse and beer showers, and pay for it, to see Bud's head explode.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Guess I need to keep the trash talking of the Sox at a high level. Played pretty well last night.

soposkier

Scalpers aren't going to buy up Tuesday Seattle 4pm game start tickets in early May. Unless the Sox start giving away thousands of tickets to games like those, the sellout streak ends.

What about the official ticket scalper of the red sox, Acetickets?

deadheadskier

Staff member
It will be really nice to be able to show up at Fenway and buy tickets from a panicked scalper for 50 cents on the dollar. I think that is where this team is headed.

They've arrived there. Apparently there were several hundred tickets on Stubhub yesterday for $3.75

.......yet Henry and Co still called the game a sell out. :rolleyes:

soposkier

They've arrived there. Apparently there were several hundred tickets on Stubhub yesterday for $3.75

.......yet Henry and Co still called the game a sell out. :rolleyes:

10 seats together in the grandstand on redsox.com a few hours before game time as well....I would really like to hear the justification for these sellouts now. Does Jon Henry just "buy" up the remaining tickets to qualify it as a sellout?

deadheadskier

Staff member
They "sell" a large percentage of their tickets to Stubhub, who has taken over as the in house scalping agent from Ace tickets.

So, to the Red Sox, the tickets are "sold" even though actual people don't buy them. It's pretty comical honestly.

Despite delivering the first title in 86 years and a 2nd title in 2007, I see Henry becoming the most hated franchise owner in Boston very quickly. That's no small feat considering Jeremy Jacobs has enjoyed that title for 36 years.

thetrailboss

Staff member

thetrailboss

Staff member
Quite a shocka' TB, Red Sox actually making a logically smart deal.....

It will be logical if the Sox do better in the pitching department, win more games as a result of Peavy, and if Iglesias is not so great at his new team (and the Sox have no problems with SS).

I'm so glad that we are (slowly) forgetting about the trainwreck that was last season. I like John Farrell and what he is doing but I miss Tito.

ScottySkis

It will be logical if the Sox do better in the pitching department, win more games as a result of Peavy, and if Iglesias is not so great at his new team (and the Sox have no problems with SS).

I'm so glad that we are (slowly) forgetting about the trainwreck that was last season. I like John Farrell and what he is doing but I miss Tito.

I like Boston, sorry for thread hijack but since your in Utah is their good minor league team their?