Training to Hike Mount Washington - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by andyzee View Post
    For something nice and close to home try Breakneck Ridge just north of Cold Spring, NY. Great hike.

Thanks so much, AZ. This looks awesome for my first hike this season and relatively close to home!

Other options:

Mohonk just past New Paltz, NY

Delaware Water Gap:

A lot of great hikes within 50-60 miles of NYC, any questions or want someone to hike with, let me know.

nice shots.

Re; MT Washington, yeah that was the trail, I nearly forgot the name, Six Husbands. We hiked down there (We were originally planning on going further) but were so exhausted we descended it instead. I remember it being pretty gnarly. Camped at the base of it, and the next day we made it the rest of the way out.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

2011/12 Days:
    12/20, 12/29, 1/11, 1/22, 1/25, 2/5,2/19, 3/30, 3/31, 4/1
    2012/13 Days: 12/27, 12/28, 1/5, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 3/21, 3/23, 3/24

Six Husbands climbs from the Great Gulf up to Jefferson, it's not really on Mt Washington. All the Great Gulf trails are steep and rugged; they were laid out and built by a trail builder with a different philosophy than most of the other major trails in the Presidential range.

Most people choose to hike Mt Washington because it's the tallest peak, and that's fine. But once you get that out of the way there are IMO much better hikes to be had in the area. An alternative is to start your hike at 5:00 AM and/or on one of the less popular routes and you'll be alone for most of your hike, except at the summit.

Yeah, that's what we did.

Day #1 - Pinkham Notch, up to Hermit Lake, overnight.
    Day #2 - Up Tuckerman / Mt Washington / Mt Jefferson / down Six Husbands. We camped at the bottom of the steep part of six husbands somewhere. For some reason I can't seem to find a trail map anywhere to pinpoint the location. Day was brutally exhausting.
    Day #3 - flatland slog back the Pinkham in the valley. Thank god the conditions were easier. We were wondering at some point if we'd have to spend another night.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

2011/12 Days:
    12/20, 12/29, 1/11, 1/22, 1/25, 2/5,2/19, 3/30, 3/31, 4/1
    2012/13 Days: 12/27, 12/28, 1/5, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 3/21, 3/23, 3/24

Other options:

Mohonk just past New Paltz, NY

Delaware Water Gap:

A lot of great hikes within 50-60 miles of NYC, any questions or want someone to hike with, let me know.
    I second Mohonk and Delaware Water Gap close to home.

Depending on where you camped you might have been in a place you weren't allowed to camp. There's no camping allowed in the Great Gulf above the junction of the Sphinx trail with the Great Gulf trail. The regulations there are sometimes hard to navigate.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whitem...telprdb5186045

Depending on how you travel, a lot of these trails are much easier with a small day pack. Don't forget, the record for a full Presie Traverse is 4:46, but those guys ran a bit of it.

-dave-

Quote Originally Posted by RENO View Post
    I second Mohonk and Delaware Water Gap close to home.
    If you're in the area, like hiking, IMHO, Breakneck is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    Six Husbands climbs from the Great Gulf up to Jefferson, it's not really on Mt Washington. All the Great Gulf trails are steep and rugged; they were laid out and built by a trail builder with a different philosophy than most of the other major trails in the Presidential range.

Most people choose to hike Mt Washington because it's the tallest peak, and that's fine. But once you get that out of the way there are IMO much better hikes to be had in the area. An alternative is to start your hike at 5:00 AM and/or on one of the less popular routes and you'll be alone for most of your hike, except at the summit.
    I like dave's website! I've looked at it for many years. I notice you haven't updated it in a while, but there's a lot of great info in there and awesome pics. http://hikethewhites.com//

I've hike several areas in the whites, but never did a hike from the base to the summit of Mt. Washington. We've taken the cog railway up and hiked around. Hiked up to the base of Tuckermans. Hiked several other areas partway up mt. Washington. A few others I don't remember. Hiked in Franconia Notch and Loon. Parked at the Lafayette campground a few times and hiked from there. Did a few hikes in Crawford Notch. Mount Willard is an easy hike with an awesome view down the notch. Love the white mountains! Definitely more difficult than Vermont. Mount Mansfield has some pretty tough hikes.

If you're in the area, like hiking, IMHO, Breakneck is a must.
    Never been there. I'll have to check it out...

Thread Information