• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Training to Hike Mount Washington

skiersleft

For something nice and close to home try Breakneck Ridge just north of Cold Spring, NY. Great hike.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Thanks so much, AZ. This looks awesome for my first hike this season and relatively close to home!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Other options:

Mohonk just past New Paltz, NY

main.php

main.php

main.php

Delaware Water Gap:

main.php

main.php

A lot of great hikes within 50-60 miles of NYC, any questions or want someone to hike with, let me know.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
nice shots.

Re; MT Washington, yeah that was the trail, I nearly forgot the name, Six Husbands. We hiked down there (We were originally planning on going further) but were so exhausted we descended it instead. I remember it being pretty gnarly. Camped at the base of it, and the next day we made it the rest of the way out.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Six Husbands climbs from the Great Gulf up to Jefferson, it's not really on Mt Washington. All the Great Gulf trails are steep and rugged; they were laid out and built by a trail builder with a different philosophy than most of the other major trails in the Presidential range.

Most people choose to hike Mt Washington because it's the tallest peak, and that's fine. But once you get that out of the way there are IMO much better hikes to be had in the area. An alternative is to start your hike at 5:00 AM and/or on one of the less popular routes and you'll be alone for most of your hike, except at the summit.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah, that's what we did.

Day #1 - Pinkham Notch, up to Hermit Lake, overnight.
Day #2 - Up Tuckerman / Mt Washington / Mt Jefferson / down Six Husbands. We camped at the bottom of the steep part of six husbands somewhere. For some reason I can't seem to find a trail map anywhere to pinpoint the location. Day was brutally exhausting.
Day #3 - flatland slog back the Pinkham in the valley. Thank god the conditions were easier. We were wondering at some point if we'd have to spend another night.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Depending on where you camped you might have been in a place you weren't allowed to camp. There's no camping allowed in the Great Gulf above the junction of the Sphinx trail with the Great Gulf trail. The regulations there are sometimes hard to navigate.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whitemountain/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5186045

Depending on how you travel, a lot of these trails are much easier with a small day pack. Don't forget, the record for a full Presie Traverse is 4:46, but those guys ran a bit of it.

-dave-

RENO

Six Husbands climbs from the Great Gulf up to Jefferson, it's not really on Mt Washington. All the Great Gulf trails are steep and rugged; they were laid out and built by a trail builder with a different philosophy than most of the other major trails in the Presidential range.

Most people choose to hike Mt Washington because it's the tallest peak, and that's fine. But once you get that out of the way there are IMO much better hikes to be had in the area. An alternative is to start your hike at 5:00 AM and/or on one of the less popular routes and you'll be alone for most of your hike, except at the summit.

I like dave's website! I've looked at it for many years. I notice you haven't updated it in a while, but there's a lot of great info in there and awesome pics. http://hikethewhites.com//

I've hike several areas in the whites, but never did a hike from the base to the summit of Mt. Washington. We've taken the cog railway up and hiked around. Hiked up to the base of Tuckermans. Hiked several other areas partway up mt. Washington. A few others I don't remember. Hiked in Franconia Notch and Loon. Parked at the Lafayette campground a few times and hiked from there. Did a few hikes in Crawford Notch. Mount Willard is an easy hike with an awesome view down the notch. Love the white mountains! Definitely more difficult than Vermont. Mount Mansfield has some pretty tough hikes.

6528617347_e545597020_z.jpg

RENO

Cracks me up on those days when the Presidentials are in the fog with 30' visibility, and one range away, LaFayette is offering 100 mile views :roll:

I'd like to do the Franconia Ridge Trail. Never did it. Maybe this will be the year! The White mountains are my favorite area to hike in the northeast!

skiersleft

I'd like to do the Franconia Ridge Trail. Never did it. Maybe this will be the year! The White mountains are my favorite area to hike in the northeast!

Hey, Reno! Let me know if you're interested in hiking the local hills AZ mentioned - Breakneck Ridge, for example. Need a partner. Might hook up with AZ sometime as well, if he's available.

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
some pix

some pix of last summers whites trip. Franconia ridge was sweet, and we took the train up washington, which was a hoot. Franconia was in the sun, presidentials in the fog... Also climbed the shortest 4,000 footer, Mt. Tecumseh, which was down the road from our site. Climbed Cannon and Mooselauke the year before, in addition to LaFayette. Good weather on the tops of all those, while Washington never attracted me weatherwise, seeing as I was homeless for awhile in my younger years, and no longer feel the need to suffer ;-)

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/580639333PgtlZb

Last edited:

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
Like said weather is probably the biggest shock in the Presis. Be prepared for any weather period. It will be 90 in the Notches and the summit will be 50 with 50+ MPH winds...on a good day. My first time there it was in 40s, 20 foot of visiblitiy maybe, and sleet on the way up. Then I was trapped in the summit building waiting a TStorm passing...This was in mid july. I've been on Washington several times and am disappointed with it. Too much going on. I even had the summit to myself one time and it's disappointing sitting among all the structures despite the view. In summer the summit is a madhouse with cars, train smoke, SOOOO many people. Pretty much any route will have some people on it.
Adams is my favorite peak in the range and it has many great trail options. You could combine Adams with Madison or Jefferson to make a loop and get quite a bit of time above treeline and would still see less people than Washington and there are a couple of shelters and a hut to escape weather if need be. Another great summit in the Whites with an easier approach but great alpine zone is Mt. Moosilauke, the approach up the AT (carriage road) is fairly tame despite elaevation gain and you get a nice alpine walk.
I've never been there but I hear both the Precipice and Devil's Path in the Catskills are tough trails that might be training options. More up and down but good endurance builders. Just get out and hike as much as you can to train.

skiersleft

Like said weather is probably the biggest shock in the Presis. Be prepared for any weather period. It will be 90 in the Notches and the summit will be 50 with 50+ MPH winds...on a good day. My first time there it was in 40s, 20 foot of visiblitiy maybe, and sleet on the way up. Then I was trapped in the summit building waiting a TStorm passing...This was in mid july. I've been on Washington several times and am disappointed with it. Too much going on. I even had the summit to myself one time and it's disappointing sitting among all the structures despite the view. In summer the summit is a madhouse with cars, train smoke, SOOOO many people. Pretty much any route will have some people on it.
Adams is my favorite peak in the range and it has many great trail options. You could combine Adams with Madison or Jefferson to make a loop and get quite a bit of time above treeline and would still see less people than Washington and there are a couple of shelters and a hut to escape weather if need be. Another great summit in the Whites with an easier approach but great alpine zone is Mt. Moosilauke, the approach up the AT (carriage road) is fairly tame despite elaevation gain and you get a nice alpine walk.
I've never been there but I hear both the Precipice and Devil's Path in the Catskills are tough trails that might be training options. More up and down but good endurance builders. Just get out and hike as much as you can to train.

Very helpful, Tomcat! Appreciate it. Going to look up those peaks in the Catskills!

Cannonball

All of the advice given here is great and should be heeded. There is certainly the potential for issues (especially weather). But at the same time don't let all of the talk intimidate you. On a nice day, on a good route, it's really not that hard a hike for a reasonably fit person. You'll see young kids, elderly people, and everyone in between on the trail and on the summit.

Common sense is your best tool. Be prepared for the weather and be willing to turn back if needed. Follow the advice for gear, water, routes, and weather forecasts. Then find a comfortable pace for yourself, relax, and enjoy! And then post pics......

Last edited: