Forsake on Kickstarter - support a shoe company by skiers for skiers - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    These shoes are "meh" to me, but it's interesting to check out the funding model and sales pitch and see their tiny operation trying to produce. Been hearing so much about kickstarter projects lately, seems like it's going to become big bubble/success.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    Not really trying to target you or dog on you. But you did make your first post a sales pitch (which I think is generally not allowed on this forum, but the owner seems into it so that's his call) and your making some claims. So a response seems fair.

    First, I'm not sure I get the originality of your design. Your shoes look almost exactly like all of the other waterproof hiking boot/sneakers on the market, with all of the same features, at the same price. Why again wouldn't I just buy a pair of Merril/Vasque/Salomon/Bean/etc shoes that are already available as opposed to paying to help your start up?

    Second, I can live with outsourced production. I'm pretty sure the Gore-tex Salomon light hikers that I'm currently wearing and that I bought for the same price as your "innovation" were made abroad. But if you're going to make claims you need to back them up. There are several/many made in USA brands at the same price point as yours (not $200+).
    I realize this isn't a very endearing first post, but I though it was worth being called a noob. I'm glad you chose respond, I'm happy to respond to any feedback.

    The premise of this company is to combine the performance of a hiking boot like this with the style of a casual shoe like this. I believe the influence of these two styles of shoes is evident in our designs and performance. Our shoes are also targeted towards young skiers, snowboarders and action sports enthusiasts that don't identify with brands like Merrell/Vasque/Salomon/Bean/etc. They prefer to wear Nike 6.0/Lakai/Supra, because they represent their lifestyle. We are attempting to create a brand that they identify with that also offers the performance they need.

    As far as your second comment, your Salomons are made by the same corporation as ours (http://www.pouchen.com). New Balance is the only major athletic brand that still manufactures in the US, and only 25% of the shoes they sell are from American factories (http://www.newbalance.com/usa/). I can guarantee you that there are no shoes made of genuine full grain, suede, and nubuck leathers with a waterproof membrane made in the US for a price less than our full retail price of $130. Through this kickstarter campaign we are offering them for $75 and I can guarantee you that there is no fully waterproof shoe with these materials made anywhere for less than that.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    Not really trying to target you or dog on you. But you did make your first post a sales pitch (which I think is generally not allowed on this forum, but the owner seems into it so that's his call) and your making some claims. So a response seems fair.
    It actually showed up in my mod list but i let it fly because i was curious about his Kickstarter experience.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

    Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

    Get AZ on your mobile phone!


    2011/12 Days:
    12/20, 12/29, 1/11, 1/22, 1/25, 2/5,2/19, 3/30, 3/31, 4/1
    2012/13 Days: 12/27, 12/28, 1/5, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 3/21, 3/23, 3/24

  4. #14
    Cannonball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    South Shore, MA/ Lincoln, NH
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfinder View Post
    I realize this isn't a very endearing first post, but I though it was worth being called a noob. I'm glad you chose respond, I'm happy to respond to any feedback.

    The premise of this company is to combine the performance of a hiking boot like this with the style of a casual shoe like this. I believe the influence of these two styles of shoes is evident in our designs and performance. Our shoes are also targeted towards young skiers, snowboarders and action sports enthusiasts that don't identify with brands like Merrell/Vasque/Salomon/Bean/etc. They prefer to wear Nike 6.0/Lakai/Supra, because they represent their lifestyle. We are attempting to create a brand that they identify with that also offers the performance they need.

    As far as your second comment, your Salomons are made by the same corporation as ours (http://www.pouchen.com). New Balance is the only major athletic brand that still manufactures in the US, and only 25% of the shoes they sell are from American factories (http://www.newbalance.com/usa/). I can guarantee you that there are no shoes made of genuine full grain, suede, and nubuck leathers with a waterproof membrane made in the US for a price less than our full retail price of $130. Through this kickstarter campaign we are offering them for $75 and I can guarantee you that there is no fully waterproof shoe with these materials made anywhere for less than that.
    I guess I just don't have a very discerning eye for fashion. I don't see much difference between yours and ones that already exist with the same features at the same price point. But that probably just means I'm not your target market. I'm sure there are people who can see the subtle fashion differences, and care about them. I've always tended towards function over form so I don't always pick up on fashion trends or details.

    I've always thought of Kickstarter as a way to launch new, innovative ideas. But more recently it definitely has become a way launch any new business, even for existing markets. It looks like you guys are getting some good pledges. So good luck, I hope it works out!

  5. #15
    Tfinder - best of luck to you. I sort of agree with you that skiers options of footwear are the extremes, either massive boots or dinky sneakers.

    Your product does remind me of the LL Bean waterproof sneakers, which I just bought last year and is my choice when I'm in and around the mountains.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post

    I've always thought of Kickstarter as a way to launch new, innovative ideas. But more recently it definitely has become a way launch any new business, even for existing markets. It looks like you guys are getting some good pledges. So good luck, I hope it works out!
    Unless I'm mistaken the JOBS act that just passed allowed for crowdsourced funding of small businesses. I'd have to research it a bit more but allowing investment in small biz is always good stuff. Assuming you don't have idiots who "invest" more than they can afford to lose. High risk with small biz, always.

    At least with the Kickstarter model you usually "get" something in return for what you pay, although no equity if a company does blow it out.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

    Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

    Get AZ on your mobile phone!


    2011/12 Days:
    12/20, 12/29, 1/11, 1/22, 1/25, 2/5,2/19, 3/30, 3/31, 4/1
    2012/13 Days: 12/27, 12/28, 1/5, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 3/21, 3/23, 3/24

  7. #17
    We met met up with some friends last weekend and shot a few promo videos. Check out the Thurston enjoying a rainy day Forsake style!


  8. #18
    maybe the youtube version will work...


  9. #19
    do you have the direct link?

    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

    Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

    Get AZ on your mobile phone!


    2011/12 Days:
    12/20, 12/29, 1/11, 1/22, 1/25, 2/5,2/19, 3/30, 3/31, 4/1
    2012/13 Days: 12/27, 12/28, 1/5, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 3/21, 3/23, 3/24

  10. #20
    Welp, I guess that didn't work either. Here is the direct link:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.