• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Forsake on Kickstarter - support a shoe company by skiers for skiers

Tfinder

A few years ago my friend and I noticed our friends and ourselves sliding around and soaking through our shoes because none of us wanted to wear winter or hiking boots around campus and at ski areas. This inspired us to start a company that makes versatile shoes with the performance features of a purpose built hiking boot (waterproof/breathable membrane, lugged sole, etc.) and the style of a casual shoe. We put in 2 years of work developing the company and our designs and now we're ready for mass production.

Our project is now on the crowd-funding site Kickstarter.com to generate the money for mass production. We are offering a bunch of rewards for pledges including pre-ordering the shoes at the wholesale price of $75. They will retail for $120-$140 so this is a really good deal for fully waterproof shoes.

We started Forsake for our fellow skiers and snowboarders so check out our video and get yourself some shoes!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forsake/forsake-waterproof-outdoor-sneakers

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Where are you guys located? I've been fascinated with the Kickstarter model, good luck. You guys are already at $50k.

Tfinder

Thanks for checking out the project Nick! I'm located outside of Boston now but will hopefully be expanding and moving soon.

my poor knees

Probably because they want to sell them and if they made them in the us it would cost $200 a pair

and in a nutshell, that's why our country is going downhill, we are not industrial manufacturers anymore, we are consumers of throwaway garbage.

Tfinder

We recently did a blog post titled Thoughts on Outsourcing that hopefully helps to answer your question. You can read it at http://blog.forsake.co/.

Our products will retail for about $120. The short answer is that, if they were Made in U.S.A. (and only 70% of the shoe actually has to be made in USA to be given that title), the price would likely be $200+. But that doesn't tell the whole story. The real benefit to manufacturing abroad is being close to all the footwear material and component suppliers, rubber manufacturers, and mold-cutters that we depend on. It shortens the development timeline and makes for a more flexible prototyping process. From a logistical standpoint, making shoes abroad is much much easier and more efficient.

Cannonball

Not really trying to target you or dog on you. But you did make your first post a sales pitch (which I think is generally not allowed on this forum, but the owner seems into it so that's his call) and your making some claims. So a response seems fair.

First, I'm not sure I get the originality of your design. Your shoes look almost exactly like all of the other waterproof hiking boot/sneakers on the market, with all of the same features, at the same price. Why again wouldn't I just buy a pair of Merril/Vasque/Salomon/Bean/etc shoes that are already available as opposed to paying to help your start up?

Second, I can live with outsourced production. I'm pretty sure the Gore-tex Salomon light hikers that I'm currently wearing and that I bought for the same price as your "innovation" were made abroad. But if you're going to make claims you need to back them up. There are several/many made in USA brands at the same price point as yours (not $200+).

bobbutts

These shoes are "meh" to me, but it's interesting to check out the funding model and sales pitch and see their tiny operation trying to produce. Been hearing so much about kickstarter projects lately, seems like it's going to become big bubble/success.

Tfinder

Not really trying to target you or dog on you. But you did make your first post a sales pitch (which I think is generally not allowed on this forum, but the owner seems into it so that's his call) and your making some claims. So a response seems fair.

First, I'm not sure I get the originality of your design. Your shoes look almost exactly like all of the other waterproof hiking boot/sneakers on the market, with all of the same features, at the same price. Why again wouldn't I just buy a pair of Merril/Vasque/Salomon/Bean/etc shoes that are already available as opposed to paying to help your start up?

Second, I can live with outsourced production. I'm pretty sure the Gore-tex Salomon light hikers that I'm currently wearing and that I bought for the same price as your "innovation" were made abroad. But if you're going to make claims you need to back them up. There are several/many made in USA brands at the same price point as yours (not $200+).

I realize this isn't a very endearing first post, but I though it was worth being called a noob. I'm glad you chose respond, I'm happy to respond to any feedback.

The premise of this company is to combine the performance of a hiking boot like this with the style of a casual shoe like this. I believe the influence of these two styles of shoes is evident in our designs and performance. Our shoes are also targeted towards young skiers, snowboarders and action sports enthusiasts that don't identify with brands like Merrell/Vasque/Salomon/Bean/etc. They prefer to wear Nike 6.0/Lakai/Supra, because they represent their lifestyle. We are attempting to create a brand that they identify with that also offers the performance they need.

As far as your second comment, your Salomons are made by the same corporation as ours (http://www.pouchen.com). New Balance is the only major athletic brand that still manufactures in the US, and only 25% of the shoes they sell are from American factories (http://www.newbalance.com/usa/). I can guarantee you that there are no shoes made of genuine full grain, suede, and nubuck leathers with a waterproof membrane made in the US for a price less than our full retail price of $130. Through this kickstarter campaign we are offering them for $75 and I can guarantee you that there is no fully waterproof shoe with these materials made anywhere for less than that.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

It actually showed up in my mod list but i let it fly because i was curious about his Kickstarter experience. :lol:

Cannonball

I realize this isn't a very endearing first post, but I though it was worth being called a noob. I'm glad you chose respond, I'm happy to respond to any feedback.

The premise of this company is to combine the performance of a hiking boot like this with the style of a casual shoe like this. I believe the influence of these two styles of shoes is evident in our designs and performance. Our shoes are also targeted towards young skiers, snowboarders and action sports enthusiasts that don't identify with brands like Merrell/Vasque/Salomon/Bean/etc. They prefer to wear Nike 6.0/Lakai/Supra, because they represent their lifestyle. We are attempting to create a brand that they identify with that also offers the performance they need.

As far as your second comment, your Salomons are made by the same corporation as ours (http://www.pouchen.com). New Balance is the only major athletic brand that still manufactures in the US, and only 25% of the shoes they sell are from American factories (http://www.newbalance.com/usa/). I can guarantee you that there are no shoes made of genuine full grain, suede, and nubuck leathers with a waterproof membrane made in the US for a price less than our full retail price of $130. Through this kickstarter campaign we are offering them for $75 and I can guarantee you that there is no fully waterproof shoe with these materials made anywhere for less than that.

I guess I just don't have a very discerning eye for fashion. I don't see much difference between yours and ones that already exist with the same features at the same price point. But that probably just means I'm not your target market. I'm sure there are people who can see the subtle fashion differences, and care about them. I've always tended towards function over form so I don't always pick up on fashion trends or details.

I've always thought of Kickstarter as a way to launch new, innovative ideas. But more recently it definitely has become a way launch any new business, even for existing markets. It looks like you guys are getting some good pledges. So good luck, I hope it works out!

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Tfinder - best of luck to you. I sort of agree with you that skiers options of footwear are the extremes, either massive boots or dinky sneakers.

Your product does remind me of the LL Bean waterproof sneakers, which I just bought last year and is my choice when I'm in and around the mountains.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've always thought of Kickstarter as a way to launch new, innovative ideas. But more recently it definitely has become a way launch any new business, even for existing markets. It looks like you guys are getting some good pledges. So good luck, I hope it works out!

Unless I'm mistaken the JOBS act that just passed allowed for crowdsourced funding of small businesses. I'd have to research it a bit more but allowing investment in small biz is always good stuff. Assuming you don't have idiots who "invest" more than they can afford to lose. High risk with small biz, always.

At least with the Kickstarter model you usually "get" something in return for what you pay, although no equity if a company does blow it out.

Tfinder

We met met up with some friends last weekend and shot a few promo videos. Check out the Thurston enjoying a rainy day Forsake style!