• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waterville expansion

deadheadskier

Staff member
I believe he's referring to the continued expansion down the ridge of Green Peak. The South Green Peak area. Not sure I've seen that before.

gregnye

Woah! That would be totally sick if they actually carried through with all that! It would rival Loon!! Perhaps it would even drop the ticket prices at Loon which are getting up there...

Waterville valley shall always be my "home mountain". I also like the two trails that come off the new ridge--they are two distinct "trail" trails, not a huge junction-mess like other parts of the mountain. Now, we just have to hope that they are some black-diamonds like jobber and twitcher at Loon--those are solid cruising runs!

AdironRider

If I was to pick one place to rock high speed groomers, I think I would choose Waterville. Few crowds, they seem cool on high speed cruising given their WC heritage, decent lifts.

I know the terrain isnt amazing, and the top lift is pointless, but something about that place I just love. I also like the access road on a snowy day, not sure why as its nothing amazing.

skifree

doing laps on true grit/gemma/and ciao with a brew stop at schwendi hut
is a good day

just don't speed on access road/route 49.. been pulled over more then a few times

skiNEwhere

Not a big fan of Waterviile, I haven't been there since they shortened the HSQ that went to the summit

cannonist

doing laps on true grit/gemma/and ciao with a brew stop at schwendi hut
is a good day

just don't speed on access road/route 49.. been pulled over more then a few times

The number of cops on 49 on any given day is simply ridiculous, it's even hurting the restaurant buisness in Campton because people staying in the valley don't want to drive down for a couple beers and then on the drive back up get pulled over.

Not a big fan of Waterviile, I haven't been there since they shortened the HSQ that went to the summit

Waterville may not be many things, but it is my home mountain and I will always have a soft spot for it. You do have to recall that in the 70's and the 80's Waterville was the place to be. Sure over the last decade and a half the area has been in a decline, and excessive trail widening..., but the Sununus are picking up the pace. There are going to be some exciting changes over the next few years... and some nice new glades for next year...

On another note, as ski free noted lunch at the schwendi hut is hard to beat. It has got to be my favorite lodge in the northeast. Ducking into the burial grounds, psycho glades, or toboggan chute on a powder day isn't all that bad either.

4aprice

I certainly hope this comes about. Need to get to Cannon for Mittersill, Loon for the new South area and now Waterville for this expansion. Sounds like an interesting trip in a couple of years.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ