• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best seat on the plane?

legalskier

Supposedly it's 6A....and the worst is 31E.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/26/best-seat-on-plane_n_1456671.html

What are your fave & least fave? Why?

images

SkiDork

silly poll. Each model is different.

That being said, I always love a window seat midships.

Gonna get the privilege of flying an A380 for the very 1st time in August, Lufthansa 401 JFK -> Frankfurt. Can't wait.

ctenidae

Any window seat in rows 1-6 is generally fine with me. Mostly because it's usually 1st or business class. I love traveling on our corporate travel policy...

My wife and I flew First on British to Spain last year, and are now well and truly spoiled. For the overnight flight, it just about is totally worth the extra money. On domestic flights, maybe not so much, but I won't complain about the extra elbow room.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Aisle seat closest to the exit. I can't stand being at the back of the plane and waiting to get off. It never ceases to amaze me how long it takes people to get their shit together and deplane. This is especially true if I have a short amount of time to make it to a connecting flight.

kickstand

We flew first class to Alaska for our honeymoon. Figured we'd splurge for the once-in-a-lifetime trip. That was pretty sweet.

But the best seat I ever got...was flying solo BOS-DEN to meet up with my GF (now wife). For whatever reason, the guy at the ticket desk upgraded me to business class and I ended up with a single seat on the right side of the plane at the back of business class. I don't know the model of the plane, but it was freakin' sweet. Tons of leg room, no one to either side, lots of space to spread out and free drinks. It was heaven.

bvibert

Staff member
Aisle seat in an emergency exit or bulkhead row. I prefer to be next to the window, but my shoulders get too cramped if there's someone next to me. At least with the aisle seat I can stretch into the aisle when there's no one in it. I just need to watch out for that damn drink cart.

Of course every model is different. Some have enough leg room for me without needing the emergency row, while with others my knees are pressed into the seat back in front of me the entire flight.

bvibert

Staff member
Aisle seat closest to the exit. I can't stand being at the back of the plane and waiting to get off. It never ceases to amaze me how long it takes people to get their shit together and deplane. This is especially true if I have a short amount of time to make it to a connecting flight.

I don't mind the back of the plane, as long as I don't have a connector to make less than an hour after landing. Then I get antsy back there.

One flight I took a few months ago I purposely switched to the very back row to avoid the middle seat I was originally booked with. I ended up with the entire row to myself. :beer:

JimG.

Staff member
Any seat far away from the person who gets airsick.

Somehow, that person always winds up next to me. Blech!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I like window seats because I'm a kid at heart and I love staring out the window. Exit rows are usually best if you can snag em. Other than that, front is normally better as they are first off. but i'll take whatever's cheapest, spirit airlines now charges you $30 to pick a seat, I just go wherever they tell me for that coin. That's $120 round trip for my wife and I just to pick a stupid seat for an hour flight to south carolina. nooo thanks!

drjeff

Any seat that's on a plane that taking me to say some tropical beach location or some great ski resort is good in my book!

Any seat on a plane that's taking me to say Toledo, OH or maybe Iowa City, IA is ALWAYS going to suck in my book! :)

gmcunni

depends on why and where i'm flying.

always go for an aisle seat. if i'm with my family or in no general rush i'll opt for back of the plane. planes tend to fill up from front to back and i always have better luck scoring a vacant middle or even jumping rows when in back.

with family it tends to be toward back too just so we all have seats together.

if i'm taking an early morning biz flight and in a rush then it is as far forward as possible to get off quickly.

jrmagic

Really, though, the best seat on a plane is any seat on any plane without snakes on it.

6a00d8345275cf69e2010535e22bc5970b-250wi

lol That movie was so bad it was actually good as a comedy:-D The scene with the couple joining the mile high club in the bathroom only to have the guy get bit in the junk by a snake had me rolling on the floor.

I prefer exit rows if I can get them. Otherwise I prefer aisle so as I don't feel too cramped. I also hate waiting to deplane if I'm towards the back.

Geoff

This really depends on which airline, the fare basis of my ticket, and the type of equipment

Embraer ERJ-17x and 190 is my favorite equipment for short flights. It's a 2-2 configuration so there is no middle death seat. I prefer aisle seat towards the front but window seat is just fine as long as it's not in the last row where the seat doesn't recline.

On 3-3 equipment in coach like the 737, 757, A31x, and A32x, I loath middle seats. I loath the last row on the plane where the seats don't recline. Don't like the row in front of the emergency exit row where the seats don't recline. I prefer sitting aisle as far forward as I can get. I want to be able to get off the plane quickly.

On a Southwest 737 that I know is going out half-full or less, my favorite seat is the emergency exit row window seat where there is no seat in front of it. Infinite leg room. I want to have the seat next to me open, though. On a jammed flight, I take any aisle seat open in the front.

When I used to fly United a lot and was Premier Exec level, their economy plus section with the extra legroom was great. They'd block off the middle seats and only overflow "the dirty masses" into those middle seats after the back of the plane filled. 2nd row of economy plus on the aisle (row 9) on a United 757 was my typical seat.

On a transcontinental 747 flight where I'm business class, I like being on the upper deck. Otherwise, just keep me away from the toilets.

bvibert

Staff member
oh and not near any crying babies

My last flight was on a 757 with a toilet/exit row about 3/4 through economy. I took an aisle seat right there (40D, I believe) for the extra leg room. Apparently they also stuck just about every family traveling with children in the same section. I don't think there were any kids anywhere else on the plane. I was a little worried as the plane was boarding, because it felt like romper room back there. Luckily it was quiet throughout the flight. Turned out to be one of the best seats I've had. It took awhile to get off the plane though and I had a connecting flight that was supposed to start boarding 15 minutes after we landed, at an airport that I'd never been to before. Luckily the flight landed early and the connecting flight took off late, so I had plenty of time, but I was still nervous.

Delta_Airlines_Boeing_757-300.gif

bvibert

Staff member
Embraer ERJ-17x and 190 is my favorite equipment for short flights. It's a 2-2 configuration so there is no middle death seat. I prefer aisle seat towards the front but window seat is just fine as long as it's not in the last row where the seat doesn't recline.

I haven't flown a lot, but one of my favorite flights is the ERJ-145 from DFW to LRD, if I get an A seat, which is solo on the left side. It's a bit cramped in C with someone next to me. It's a short flight though, so it's all good.

I've also had some comfortable flights on MD-80s, which seem to have more leg room than other planes I've been on.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The plane model dorkery in this thread is amusing :lol:

Never once in my life have I paid attention to the plane model number

snowmonster

Any aisle seat, preferably a bulkhead or an emergency row.

That said, being far away from the lavatories is key. The sounds and smells can be annoying to say the least. I usually take trans-Pacific flights with a mandatory 14-hour leg built in and I like being able to get up and walk or use the bathroom without having to disturb anyone.

Delta has these Economy Select seats that, for a few hundred more, get you more legroom and unlimited drinks. When you're flying for 14+ hours, any bit of comfort counts. I usually get my money's worth in drinks. Last time I flew, we had a soiree going on in my row. A cocktail party in the air. Flight attendants just kept plying me with scotches. Double all the way. Best time I ever had on a plane.

SkiDork

The plane model dorkery in this thread is amusing :lol:

Never once in my life have I paid attention to the plane model number

thats cause you're not an aviation fan.

I've been one my whole life. I used to park next to 13L at JFK with my scanner and watch them come in for landing and take off. Pre 9/11 of course. Can't get enough. Thats why I'm so excited about flying the A380