• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Summit 2013

wa-loaf

:idea:

What should be the criteria for having to wear this all weekend?

AZhelmet.jpg

(Wa-Loaf, saw this in your image gallery. Pretty sweet :lol: )

Saw you today btw. You were on Bartlet and turned onto Lyman.

skiadikt

Nothing against Sugarloaf, but I'd like to see the summit at another location this coming season too. I went to the first summit at Sugarloaf and the drive was almost too much to deal with. Over 8 hours each way. And I was fully aware of the thaw/freeze cycle that hit that weekend. We were pretty much stuck on frozen groomers all weekend. I had taken the whole week off in hopes of spending time at both Sugarloaf and Saddleback, but the big freeze was followed by downpours; I wound up leaving at noon on Monday after the summit ended because the weather was awful. I left feeling I never got a chance to really ski the mountain. Big disappointment.

The last 2 summits, especially this year's, were just too easy to blow off because of the drive. Sure, the weather can suck no matter where we plan a summit, but at least I will be psyched to show up anyway because the drive is more reasonable.

How about Sugarbush, MRG, or even Whiteface?

also haven't the last couple been end of march? weather can be a crap shoot at that time of the year. guess that's why the rates are so inexpensive.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I'm going to throw this out there. Would anyone be interested in planning an AZ Utah Weekend/Trip for Alta and Snowbird? I might be able to help organize things.

I would be very into this. Was thinking about hitting you up this upcoming winter regardless :lol: To have AZ gathering I think would be a lot of fun!

:-D This makes me so happy! an AZ Breck/Vail Weekend/Trip would be something I could definitely help organize as well. VDK03 and I are finally getting involved and connected in this town.
Keep me in the loop on this....I could very well make this.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
also haven't the last couple been end of march? weather can be a crap shoot at that time of the year. guess that's why the rates are so inexpensive.

I talked about doing it earlier next year (maybe late Feb?). I think rates would be similar, although not if we did like February break or something.

Sugarloaf does do an awesome job. It is a hike, but that's why it's a three day event. I didn't go to the first year's but I went last year and this year and it's been awesome both times. Not that I"m against switching it up but the deal is normally so good. I mean, come on, free booze? :spin:

ScottySkis

I talked about doing it earlier next year (maybe late Feb?). I think rates would be similar, although not if we did like February break or something.

Sugarloaf does do an awesome job. It is a hike, but that's why it's a three day event. I didn't go to the first year's but I went last year and this year and it's been awesome both times. Not that I"m against switching it up but the deal is normally so good. I mean, come on, free booze? :spin:

Free liquors is great, but gas cost takes away from that, i love to try the loaf one day if i was closer or had a different job with more personal time.

ScottySkis

You should carpool with Cornhead. He drives from upstate NY. He's a maniac!
He drive s a lot but that is awesome amount fun times, i drove like that many years ago, just saying the bush or most of north Vt is doable for majority of people on here, and for slc short stay long stay i stay their lol. Ya. Its snowing now at alta and snowbird i heart.

vdk03

I have fired up the Scotty Translator 200SVW in order to help you, Waloaf. He really is saying:

:lol:

hahaha, I need to get one of those....

Utah Summit would be a blast, for those traveling from the east what dates would be best?The earlier some dates get thrown out there the better the chances of getting a group together.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I might start a separate thread to discuss a Utah summit.

And in the interest of full disclosure, which Nick can delete if I am saying something I shouldn't, there's been some comments about Sugarloaf as the site and why that is. Folks should know that Sugarloaf actually approached Greg and AZ now almost three years ago with the idea. We were blown away by their offer and their genorosity for sponsoring, planning, and hosting us. Those who have been have met the two gentlemen from Sugarloaf marketing that make this happen. Every year it has grown and hopefully they will have us back. So, in sum, Sugarloaf is the big reason why it is there and IMHO we're pretty damn lucky to have them as our gracious hosts. I had a great time in 2010.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ethan and Brad have been great each year for certain. In addition to the terrain at Sugarloaf, it sure is nice to park your car for the weekend and forget about it until you leave. There's not a lot of areas in the east that offer that experience with such convenient slopeside lodging.

As for the dates, it's a crap shoot whenever they are. Even though we've struck out three years in a row, I think the chances are greater to experience a corn harvest going late March / early April than it is scoring a powder weekend late February. It seems like each season we've missed epic spring conditions by a week.

Only thing I wouldn't mind seeing regarding the dates is if the Summit was scheduled on a Bud Light Concert series weekend again. I love catching a good band in the King Pine room.

bigbog

Oootah would be great for late March/early April.....but after having gotten tied up the last 3 consecutive times...if there's good snow anywhere...I'll be more ready this next season.

Last edited:

reefer

Leave it alone. that's the perfect weekend. The odds will catch up with us..................................................