• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Closing Day 4/29/12

Zand

Date(s) Skied: Sunday 4/29/12

Resort or Ski Area: Jay Peak, VT

Conditions: "November", with spring conditions lower 200 feet. 30s, sunny, windy.

Trip Report:

Felt like an early season day at Jay, with just Jet and Haines, and both becoming extremely slick in the afternoon. Snow was nice PP before 1:30 or so, then really started going downhill after that. The bottom of both trails was potatoes, with lots of dirt and rocks mixed in. Probably about literally an inch of snow to get to the lift on top of packed ice and dirt.

None the less, a fun last day (doesn't even feel like a last day with those temps) with a good turnout. A month ago, getting the season to last to this point seemed impossible. Thanks to the snowmaking in late March and the 18" of cement in mid-April, it turned out to be a good finish. Almost feels good to finally put this season to bed. Although the finish was pretty nice, ready for summer and hopefully a much better winter next year.

snowmonster

Glad that you got to ski the final day. Was hoping too but needed to be back home on Saturday night. I wouldn't be surprised though if Jay decides to spin the lifts one more time. You never know.

Zand

The bottom of Jet and Haines were pretty thin by the end of the day yesterday. Temps in the 60s all week with a couple rainstorms and a couple sunny days pretty much spell the end unfortunately. 90% of both trails would be skiable next weekend I'm sure but the bottom will be too ugly.