Your 2011 / 2012 Ski Season Recap - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DJAK View Post
    Stats, thoughts and pics from 16 eastern ski areas on the topic in our SKI THE EAST year in review...

http://bit.ly/KvEYmN
    Mad River Mountain, Ohio?

Definately a sub par season for me. Got somewhere in the area of 45 days. Didn't get out west for the 1st time in about 20 years. Camelback was ok. They certainly made the most of what they were presented with weatherwise. They were able to get the entire mountain open by mid January and rode it out till mid March but with the exception of a few days it wasn't vintage Camelback skiing. Got to Vermont about 15 days with mixed results as well. Some good days, some not so good days. Had some injury problems as well with some back issues in January and a tweeked knee in February. I'm in the camp that this was the worst year weatherwise I have ever experienced in 45+ years of skiing so I shed no tears when it ended for me March 18th about a month earlier then normal. Glad its in the rearview mirror and really looking forward to next season already. Got the dry land training already in progress trying to be in top shape for November. Early prognostications from weather guru's I follow say that next year figures to be much different from this past season so the stoke factor will be rising daily during the summer months.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by DJAK View Post
    Stats, thoughts and pics from 16 eastern ski areas on the topic in our SKI THE EAST year in review...

http://bit.ly/KvEYmN
    Thanks for this. But, why no Sunday River?
    Quote Originally Posted by RENO View Post
    The only possible explanation is that the assignment was given to a non-skiing intern who could not tell the difference between this and MRG.
    Quote Originally Posted by aveski2000 View Post
    I had a pretty good season, in spite of the lack of snow. Started at the River in October and ended the season there in April. Probably got around 30 days or so. Two days at the Loaf and one at Saddleback late in the season. Had only one powder day in the East. The highlight of the year was going to Jackson Hole in late February into March and doing the Steep and Deep Camp. We had fresh snow three out of the four days of camp. A truly amazing mountain. I got my two seconds of fame in one of the Steep & Deep clips.
    I'm at 1:45 - 1:47.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRTw9...yer_detailpage
    Nice vid! Got me stoked on Jackson Hole. I have to hit that place someday. Madpadraic mentioned the Steep and Deep camp.This vid got me thinking about that.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by RENO View Post
    Yup, one of Peak Resorts properties outside of Columbus, OH. The GM there is a friend of mine and the former marketing director at Mount Snow before was promoted about a year ago.
    '13'-'14 season: November: 16,23,24,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,14,15,21,22,26,28,29,30,31 (Mount Snow)
    January: 1,4,5,6,11,12,13,18,19,20,25,27(Mount Snow),25(The Hermitage Club),26(Stratton)
    February: 2(Crotched), 8,10,15,16,17(Mount Snow), 9(Magic), 23(Brighton/Solitude), 24 (Snowbird), 25 (Snowbasin), 26(Deer Valley), 27 (The Canyons), 28(Park City Mountain Resort)
    March: 8,10,15,16,17,23,24,29,30,31(Mount Snow), 9(Willard), 22(Bromley)
    April: 5,6,7,12,13 (Mount Snow)

'07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 Days '07-'13 seasons: 293 Days

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    That is awesome that you can ski so many days and work all those hours.
    I manage the ski shop on property. My shop is 100 ft to the main lift. I am in 2 race leagues a week, plus ski any night I want till 10pm(I work till 4, or 8 depending on the night). Every day off I had but 1 was spent at a ski resort this winter.

What makes me ski the most is that I move up there for the winter, so I dont have many friends who are not at the mtn or crazy about skiing. So, when we hang out, it is usually on the ski slopes.
    Volkl Kendo(177)
    Rossi Soul 7(180)
    Fischer RC4(180)

/Shawangunk_Ridge NY 60 miles away from the Catskills
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
    I manage the ski shop on property. My shop is 100 ft to the main lift. I am in 2 race leagues a week, plus ski any night I want till 10pm(I work till 4, or 8 depending on the night). Every day off I had but 1 was spent at a ski resort this winter.

What makes me ski the most is that I move up there for the winter, so I dont have many friends who are not at the mtn or crazy about skiing. So, when we hang out, it is usually on the ski slopes.
    That pretty sweet deal you got.

Yeah I have to be honest I really missed woods skiing this year. There just wasn't much of it on the few times I got up north except for MRG which was actually pretty decent.

My late season was blown up by some family issues, so I missed the big storm in Feb, which was a huge bummer.

All in all, considering the conditions, I didn't get in half of what I was hoping to. Next year should be better!
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

2011/12 Days:
    12/20, 12/29, 1/11, 1/22, 1/25, 2/5,2/19, 3/30, 3/31, 4/1
    2012/13 Days: 12/27, 12/28, 1/5, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 3/21, 3/23, 3/24

Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    Thanks for this. But, why no Sunday River?

The only possible explanation is that the assignment was given to a non-skiing intern who could not tell the difference between this and MRG.

Regarding Sunday River - not every mtn responds to every request for info (esp late season).

Regarding MRM in Ohio, my goal was to get outside of New England, thus the info from NB, WV, Ohio, etc.. VT was already heavy.

Tried to include a cross section, not every mtn.

50+ days or so, all at Sunday River for me. Just no natural to entice me elsewhere weekdays. But each and every day I had a blast. We took every opty to ski woods or nat'l only trails when we could. They came and went so fast, it was so smart. One day 2 youngest (11 & 6) and I hit a few black glades inclu chutpzah, awesome day. My 6yo started ripping up sides of blue/green trails right behind me "I'm following your style mom". What a great winter...precious memories that will last a lifetime, long after I forget about lack of snow.

I wish i'd skied more and had better conditions but overall i had a fun season. I don't think i set specific goals this year but had I done so I probably would have come up short.

21 days on the snow - down from 39 previous season

4 new mountains skied

didn't catch any big storms / pow days.

did a bunch of demos

didn't buy new skis as i planned

skied Canada for first time

with son off to college next year this was our last year of family ski trips

don't think i broke even on my pass to local hill

with reduced days i really felt like it was a plateau year, didn't get any better

escaped season without injury

missed the AZ summit -

summary -

2011/12 Season - best day - 3.2 @ magic

Ski Sundown - 12.17 12.27 1.1 1.11 1.14 1.16 1.21 2.11 2.26 3.4 3.8 3.11 3.17
    Mount Snow - 12.30
    Wachusett - 1.7
    Magic - 2.4 3.2
    Mont Sutton -2.18
    Mont Orford - 2.19
    Bromont - 2.20
    Okemo - 3.10

2013/14 Season - More Snow is More Better!
    Ski Sundown - 12.28 1.1
    Mohawk - 1.10 1.17 1.24 1.31 3.29
    Belleayre - 1.20
    Butternut - 2.1 4.5
    Pico - 2.8 2.9
    Berkshire East - 2.15
    Bromley - 2.22
    Mt Snow - 3.1 3.2
    Sugarbush - 3.9 3.10
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

Thread Information