• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak - 4/28/2012

snowmonster

Date(s) Skied: 4/28/2012

Resort or Ski Area: Jay Peak

Conditions: 3 inches of new snow; 27-45F; winds 9mph; Sunny and bluebird

Trip Report: Jay Peak cannot be the King of Spring because it was full on winter conditions there. Don't let the sunlight fool you; it was cold! My plan of skiing in a luau shirt went out the window. Broke out the fleece and considered the gaiter.

Got to the parking lot before 10 and was on the hill right after they let people on the lift. Only Jet and Haynes were open but just about every trail was covered in white. Even UN was skiable if you didn't care about the state of your ski bases. People were skinning up to Tramside and I later saw some pictures of some sweet turns on Ullr's Dream. Bartender at the Foundry said that he made turns on Green Mountain Boys that morning. Anyway, I decided to just stay on the two open trails and just lapped them. Went from about 1015 am to just before 4 pm non-stop then called it a day. Later in the afternoon, all the new snow had been scraped off and it was really scratchy on Jet. The lower portions of Jet were starting to corn in the afternoon. However, the top part of the trail and the entire Haynes held out really well. When I left, I was thinking that Jay could have gone on for another weekend. There certainly was enough snow for that and the skiers all came out for it.

Forget what I said earlier, as far as I am concerned: All hail Jay, the King of Spring!

The mountain at opening bell:
jay16.JPG

Jet:
jay23.JPG

Movin' up the Jet:
jay211.JPG

Haynes:
jay17.JPG

jay18.JPG

Looking towards the tram and Vermonter:
jay22.JPG

End of the day:
jay20.JPG

Tramside from the Hotel Jay:
jay19.JPG

P.S.: On the drive up, it was snowing pretty well in Franconia Notch. I could see that Cannon got a coating as every trail was white. However, when I drove back down in the afternoon, almost nothing white was on Cannon's trails!

speden

Nice to see some pictures of Jay. Looks reasonably good, all things considered. Sure saw a lot of that dirty snow this season at other places. Hope I see less of that next season.

snowmonster

Way to Get After It SM !!!!!!!!!
Thanks, professor. I wish this season lasted a bit longer.
Nice to see some pictures of Jay. Looks reasonably good, all things considered. Sure saw a lot of that dirty snow this season at other places. Hope I see less of that next season.
I hope to see less of that next year too.