• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Iconic Ski Area Logos

snowmonster

I do recall that in the MRG Book and I think that it may have been made up by someone for Pratt, but I don't recall. It will be interesting to revisit that book.
Consulted the book. All it says is that in 1984, some advertising exec designed the logo and sticker. Betsy liked it and the rest is history.

Regarding the Loaf logo, you can see the different styles of the sticker over the years at the Sugarloaf Shop. They have stickers from different eras but none of them are for sale. You can still get the sugarloaf/usa stickers there. They are actually trying to get rid of all of them.

4aprice

Computer and time issues so will try to upload later but (and don't want to sound like a homer) I have always loved the OLD Camelback logo with the skier skiing down the the camels back. I have a great sweat shirt that I love to ski in when warm with a big picture of it on the back and a smaller one on the breast. I've gotten several comments on it as recently as my last trip to Smugglers this past spring where several people mentioned they used to ski there and really liked and appreciated the shirt.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jlboyell

i see a lot of ski the east stickers in montana, but certainly the most popular on cars, stop signs, one transformer i walk past everyday and on the sign at the entrance to the local hill is a sugarloaf sticker. I always pay attention to stickers, so i dont think its that it sticks out more. when i went to sugarloaf the first time and rode from the summit it felt like i was on a big mountain

WWF-VT

Snake River Brewery in Jackson Hole - what is the most prominent ski area sticker you see ?

snake-river-tank.jpg

gregnye

Snake River Brewery in Jackson Hole - what is the most prominent ski area sticker you see ?

snake-river-tank.jpg

Mad River Glen
See the Sticker If You Can!!

Oh wait, its the most prominent sticker!!!! :-D

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I wish Burke would stop screwing with theirs.:roll: They were on to something here (admittedly a bit of a Sugarloaf logo influence)
BurkeLogo2005.gif

as it was colorful and easy to recognize.

Now they have moved to this
resortlogos_burke.gif
which is pretty souless and generic. The "True North" marketing campaign has been pretty well received but I think it was a bad move to change the logo again for the third time in ten years. You want brand recognition.... Stop screwing with your logo!

wa-loaf

I would say the Smuggler's Notch logo is pretty iconic as well.
The three multi-colored peaks are easily recognizable.

Smugglers-notch-vermont.png

There's just too much going on here for it to be iconic. From far away you don't know what the hell it is. Sugarloaf nailed it with the big single peak, you know instantly what it is. Alta is pretty good and along the same lines a nice simple icon that's quickly recognizable. The MRG bumper sticker is only good because it's huge and has a catchy tag line, but that makes it a bumper sticker and not a logo. The logo itself is nice, but doesn't jump out like the Alta and Loaf logos.

thetrailboss

Staff member

snowmonster

I agree on Whiteface. Clean and simple. I also agree with wa-loaf that for a logo to be iconic, it has to be simple. Alta's snowflake and Loaf's summit = iconic; River and Back = not so much. Too much going on in the latter two. That said, IMO K's new logo probably doesn't make the cut. When the marketing department has to explain what all the elements in the logo imply, it's out of the running.

lolkl

I have a small problem. I want to post a photo here. It is in my " Pictures ". When I click the insert image button it asks me for the URL of my photo. I don't know what that means. How do I get it to allow me to browse?

steamboat1

I have a small problem. I want to post a photo here. It is in my " Pictures ". When I click the insert image button it asks me for the URL of my photo. I don't know what that means. How do I get it to allow me to browse?
I use the Manage Attachments in the Attach Files in the Additional Options below when your posting. There's probably a better way though. I think (not sure) you need to use a program such as Photobucket or something similar to be able to get a URL.

It's also a pain when using Manage Attachments because your limited to how many photo's you can upload, your file becomes full. You have to go into User CP & delete photo's before your allowed to upload more. I'm sure there's a better way but this is what I do since I upload from My Pictures too.