• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Iconic Ski Area Logos

thetrailboss

Staff member
So the season may be winding down, but the marketing departments will soon be getting ramped up again. With that in mind, here are some ski area logos that I think are iconic. What I mean by that is that when you see them there is no question what they mean and you instantly get flashbacks of the place. Or, these logos are so classic and appropriate that you could not do any better. Anyways, here are some of my favorites:

1. Sugarloaf/USA

e5cec49e3544756602072139efba9b7bc415fd98_m.gif

A marketing firm in Bangor created this simple, and now legendary logo, almost fifty years ago the year that they installed the Gondola. They wanted a simple logo that really captured the essence of the place. I don't think they could have done it any better. Any skier who sees this logo knows what it means. You see them on cars, signs, and even at other areas. Probably the best marketing logo out there. I just wish that the "USA" moniker returned.

2. Alta

Alta_Logo_Banner.jpg

Another classic logo that has endured. Like Sugarloaf, it captures the essence of Alta, and that is its snow. You see this on stickers, hats, shirts, and pretty much on a serious powderhound, who worships this logo. It also is quite patriotic thanks to the red/white/blue pattern. No modification needed.

3. Mad River Glen

madriverglen.gif

Or of course:

bg-logo-print.gif

I think that the circular logo is neat because it blends in the spruce bow with the snowflake and seems to blend in the "natural" feel of the place. But, of course, everyone knows of the infamous bumper stickers that was the invention of its former owner, Betsy Pratt, who wanted to convey the machismo of the place.

4. Sunday River

1169500477SundayRiverLogo_Red_Vert.thumbnail.jpg

Or:

Sunday_River-logo-22CD7FF501-seeklogo.com.gif

Or:

Sunday_River52.png

Those who skied in the 1980's and 1990's saw this logo in TV ads, on car bumpers, and in the market. The sun, in hindsight, seems to represent a new dawning on skiing and Les Otten's revolution of ski areas with fast lifts, lots of snowmaking, lots of grooming, and lots of hyperbole. I miss the old school script and the black diamond logo stickers.

5. Killington (this logo RIP)

Killington-logo-4F26692CC8-seeklogo.com.gif

Simple, big, and bold. Nothing really flashy because Pres and company didn't need to do anything more than simply state their name.

6. Sugarbush

sugarbush_logo.gif

The three-line mountain profile logo was developed by a Montpelier designer for the resort in the late 1980's and represents the profile of the segment of the mountain range that they occupy. Simple yet artsy. I also wish that they stuck with this bold font and their old slogan, "Where Great Skiers Ski."

And some others:

Steamboat

Steamboat.gif

Like Killington, they do not have to do anything but state their name.

Brighton

brighton_logo.gif

Looks like a quilt or something. Really colorful and neat.

And Snowbird:

snowbirdlogo.jpg

In 1971 they did not have dots for their "I's". This logo is neat because the wings represent the freedom one feels on its high slopes or flying through the powder. Also, the blue is appropriate for their winter season and green for summer. A simple but neat logo.

What are your favorites?

thetrailboss

Staff member
And how can I forget this one?

Jay Peak

index.php

Now modified with new font, but like MRG the maple leaf is superimposed with the snowflake to probably represent that it is close to Canada and that it did have a (limited) summer and winter business. Just guessing though. If you know, please say so.

snowmonster

How can you forget this too:

stowe-logo-blue.gif

Classic and unchanged. I like how the S looks like a skiers' track. Ski Capital of the East.

MRG: SIIYC - Was that Betsy Pratt's idea? I thought somebody else thought it up.

snowmonster

Good call on Stowe. As to MRG, I might be wrong. If anyone in the know can confirm, please speak up.

The info is in the MRG book. There's a whole article on it. Unless somebody else has the fact off the top of their head, I can post it up tonight.

Re: Sunday River logo - While I don't consider it as iconic as the SL logo, the SR logo has spawned a discussions as to its symbolism and meaning (e.g., rays of the sun = eight peaks at the River; wavy lines = the Sunday River) and what the removal of each element reveals of what current ownership is thinking. Goes to show you there's too much hanging around going on at Barker deck!

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I do recall that in the MRG Book and I think that it may have been made up by someone for Pratt, but I don't recall. It will be interesting to revisit that book.

And the SR logo: I had heard the same regarding the rays.

deadheadskier

Staff member
you don't even see that logo on the website.

The logo now has the crown on the top and no writing

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I see Sugarloaf and MRG ones all over cars on the highway. The others, not as much. Although I wonder if it's just more obvious somehow or more attention getting?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, I see that but I see the mountain logo on other places and I don't think that they are getting rid of it anytime soon.

Aware of that

Guess I just see the King thing and find them moving more away from the classic Sugarloaf/USA. They should go back to that and leave well enough alone.

It's definitely the most iconic sticker and can be seen all over the world. I've read the sticker has been placed on top of Everest even

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
from the classic Sugarloaf/USA. They should go back to that and leave well enough alone.

Maybe they added the USA in the beginning to make sure people in New Brunswick and Eastern Maine didn't think it was from Sugarloaf Mountain, N-B.:smash:

http://www.sugarloafpark.ca/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=120&Itemid=159

It's definitely the most iconic sticker and can be seen all over the world. I've read the sticker has been placed on top of Everest even

Agree about the iconic level of the Sugarloaf sticker.

Very few have withheld the test of time and have an instant recognition factor.

Jay, Stowe, MRG (SIIYC) and Sugarloaf.

snowmonster

I see Sugarloaf and MRG ones all over cars on the highway. The others, not as much. Although I wonder if it's just more obvious somehow or more attention getting?
I think it speaks to the devotion of their fan bases. SL and MRG skiers tend to be proud of their ski areas -- and make sure that you know that. Also, since both areas are considered to be tough mountains, some see the stickers like a badge of honor. Despite the huge number of Wachusset skiers, how many Wa stickers do you see on the road? Having said that, I once saw a Wa sticker on one of the signs in Montezuma Bowl out in A Basin. I'm sure they were being ironic.

Aware of that

Guess I just see the King thing and find them moving more away from the classic Sugarloaf/USA. They should go back to that and leave well enough alone.

Then, of course, MRG supporters will say that they top that by having a SIIYC sticker in orbit.

I always wondered which between the Loaf or MRG sticker was more iconic. I think I agree with dhs about the Loaf sticker. The red MRG SIIYC sticker is more bold, in your face and taunting. The blue Loaf sticker is a good representation of the Loaf and its snowfields. It's what you see when you round "Ohmigod corner." Conveys the simple message that "I ski the Loaf." Neat.

Last edited:

hiroto

Once I was driving to Key West, and along the Florida Keys, there is a place called Sugarloaf Key. I don't exactly remember what sign it was (welcome to... sign maybe), but I saw this sticker stuck right on it. It really jumped out at me in the middle of tropical landscape.

1. Sugarloaf/USA

e5cec49e3544756602072139efba9b7bc415fd98_m.gif

thetrailboss

Staff member
Maybe they added the USA in the beginning to make sure people in New Brunswick and Eastern Maine didn't think it was from Sugarloaf Mountain, N-B.:smash:

http://www.sugarloafpark.ca/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=120&Itemid=159

Don't laugh, but making it clear which Sugarloaf they were talking about was part of it, IIRC. And the "USA" part came into it when they got the World Cup or Nationals in the 1960's, to make it clear that it was a big deal resort.

They also were in the same era as Snowbird...errrr.....snowbird (no dot on the "I"). It was a time when capitalization did not exist! :lol:

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Don't laugh, but making it clear which Sugarloaf they were talking about was part of it, IIRC. And the "USA" part came into it when they got the World Cup or Nationals in the 1960's, to make it clear that it was a big deal resort.

Sugarloaf/USA was in the front and centre on the 1981-82 I posted on Ski Mad World last Spring. Only one tiny logo placed on the map on that brochure and not in your face.

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2011/05/09/monday-mad-addict’s-attic-sugarloaf-usa/

SIKSKIER

Once I was driving to Key West, and along the Florida Keys, there is a place called Sugarloaf Key. I don't exactly remember what sign it was (welcome to... sign maybe), but I saw this sticker stuck right on it. It really jumped out at me in the middle of tropical landscape.

Yup,and its on this grouping of stickers all over the world.

http://www.sugarloafsticker.com/