• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ 2013 Utah Summit?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
So it looks like we might have 5-10 people or so. We'd probably need more and no, I can't offer my couch and floor :lol:

well if you can get 10 people and charge $40 a night you are making out OK. But you should probably make pancakes and coffee in the morning.

ScottySkis

^ Considering what we in the east consider to be day-trippable, Jackson Hole would probably make the list.;)

Actually true story, when I stay in Odgen, i was planning to ski powder and snowbasin, so i call to find out about bus to mountain the very nice women, answers and said know public transportation to mountain, but she pick me with her truck on way to work, she did and hooked me up for free skiing 2 days, that was just amazing, and she drove in from near Jackson whole, its like a four hour commute 4 days week she said she just ski pass, i never forget some of the niceest people out their, and she wouldn't take any money from me, sorry about thread hike, needless to say i haven't made it to powder yet.

snoseek

I know this is in the way early planning stages, just wanted to say that POW MTN is just over 50 miles north from SLC. Day trip option is there

I'll go up to powmow with you no problem if I make it over that week. I will have my truck also. With any sort of fresh snow that is my personal favorite in the Wasatch. I may take up a weekend evening job next winter for a little extra $$$$ but still plan on being able to road trip m-f.

xwhaler

If some sweet deals could be arranged I'd definately be interested and could prob get a few more on board.

xwhaler

well, add 15 more to the roster :lol:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

LOL....I doubt I could get 15...I'm betting most of the girls wouldn't do the trip but a half dozen is possible for sure!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, it looks like we have a good core of interest. Let's see where we can take this. Stay tuned.

dropKickMurphy

Re: Pow Mow I have yet to go because last year when I visited it just did not have as much snow as LCC (I visited in December 2010). This season I did not get up there. My other concern would be getting there as it is a haul from SLC and if folks are flying in I imagine that we want to focus on a particular area(s) to make it easy. This is partly why I suggested LCC because Snowbird has good lodging and Alta is literally over the ridge.

Can't go wrong with LCC.

Might not be a bad idea to try to get a group rate at one of the hotels around the Mid Valley area. I've stayed at the Crystal Inn in Murray and it was a decent place. Reasonably priced and convenient to LCC and BCC.

If everyone was staying at the same place, I'd recommend pitching in to rent a van (or vans). It's well worth the convenience of not having to take the UTA ski buses, especially with a group.

In my prior trips to SLC, I did most of my days at Alta and Snowbird. If I'm planning to ski any weekend days (such as flying out Saturday and skiing on Sunday) I've found Solitude to be a great option to avoid the weekend crowds. It's also a nice "first day" spot to get acclimated, as the terrain is a tad mellower than I also like ti spend a day at Snowbasin. I get a kick out of the Utah locals acting like it's in the middle of nowhere. It's maybe an hour from SLC. It's probably easier to get to than Wachusett from Boston. To me, this is a world class ski area in every way; well worth the grueling one hour drive. A stop at the legenday Shooting Star Saloon on the way back is a must.

My strategy is usually to get a Superpass for one day fewer than the total number of days I plan to ski. That covers the LCC/BCC areas. I'll play it by ear, and hit Snowbasin on the first bluebird day...most of it is so wide open, visibility can be a problem on flat light days.

No question there's more than enough great terrain between Alta and Snowbird to keep anyone happy for many days. But, for me, one of the advantages of SLC is the ability to sample multiple areas during the trip. They each have their own distinct personality.

dropKickMurphy

^ Considering what we in the east consider to be day-trippable, Jackson Hole would probably make the list.;)

I live in SE MA, just a couple of miles from the RI border.I think SLC to JH is comparable to me driving to Saddleback or Sugarloaf; both of which I've done as day trips.

dropKickMurphy

Alta closed this year with 392" total snowfall. That qualifies as a terrible year for them, as they've averaged well over 600" for the last 7 or 8 seasons.

Their "terrible" season would be an above average season for the vast majority of ski areas in the Rockies, the East, or the Alps.

benwhiteskis

I'm in, but I live in Utah now, so I'll definitely meet up with you guys, but don't count me in for any group discounts

MadPadraic

Mr. Trailboss,

I'm in, but won't be spending any time at Alta.

You're actually in a league of your own when it comes to day trips. No idea how you manage to stay awake!

im interested. any other snowboarders sitting that alta day out? i have the same spring break as snowmonster

Me. I plan on hitting up Brighton as I've heard it rivals Mt Baker in a number of departments.

snowmonster

Mr. Trailboss,

I'm in, but won't be spending any time at Alta.

Just ride Snowbird and we'll see you on the ridge.

You're actually in a league of your own when it comes to day trips. No idea how you manage to stay awake!

I'm thinking of becoming a truck driver because of my driving habits.

Me. I plan on hitting up Brighton as I've heard it rivals Mt Baker in a number of departments.

Same. Brighton is on the hit list. I hear the sidecountry is amazing.