• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A-Basin to Close This Sunday May 6th!!

ScottySkis

They claim to average 500" a season. That's a bit high I believe since Alta claims the same average & definitely gets more snow than the Bird. Last years 600"+ was not a normal year.

I pretty sure they get 600 year average, when I was their they both got same amount of snow, i never heard of Alta getting more maybe by half an inch.

steamboat1

I pretty sure they get 600 year average, when I was their they both got same amount of snow, i never heard of Alta getting more maybe by half an inch.

Stats at a Glance

Snowbird Mountain Stats
Average Annual Snowfall: 500”
Vertical Drop: 3,240’
Base Elevation: 7,760’
Top Elevation: 11,000’
Skiable Acres: 2,500’
Terrain: 27% Beginner, 38% Intermediate, 35% Advanced
Number of Runs: 85
Lifts: 1 tram, 4 quads, 6 doubles
Miles to Major Airport: 29

I was wrong about Alta though. They now claim their average is 560". They must have changed their average because I remember it being 500" also.

http://alta.com/pages/mountainstats.php

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

Sure the snow stat is awesome and certainly makes it worth the trip.

the real stat to me though is the "Miles to Major Airport" most people on this forum don't live that close to a "major" airport!

steamboat1

Sure the snow stat is awesome and certainly makes it worth the trip.

the real stat to me though is the "Miles to Major Airport" most people on this forum don't live that close to a "major" airport!

Lol... I have 3 major airports that are that distance or less from my home, Kennedy, La Guardia & Newark. It pays to live in NYC sometimes....:beer:

ts01

Any word on when the WA and OR resorts are closing? They're the ones that got a good dump this year.

I had the pleasure of skiing Mt. Baker's closing day this past Sunday 4/29 - great coverage, I'm sure the skiing will be fine for a long time to come. Crystal is open weekends through May. I'd bet Bachelor and a few others will be in for a week weeks more at least on weekends.

ScottySkis

Stats at a Glance

Snowbird Mountain Stats
Average Annual Snowfall: 500”
Vertical Drop: 3,240’
Base Elevation: 7,760’
Top Elevation: 11,000’
Skiable Acres: 2,500’
Terrain: 27% Beginner, 38% Intermediate, 35% Advanced
Number of Runs: 85
Lifts: 1 tram, 4 quads, 6 doubles
Miles to Major Airport: 29

I was wrong about Alta though. They now claim their average is 560". They must have changed their average because I remember it being 500" also.

http://alta.com/pages/mountainstats.php

no problem, it's not much of difference, and their both great mountains with lots of snow close to Slc.

Last edited:

Philpug

It sucks. We are headed there next week. Oh, did I mention that it sucks?

snoseek

It sucks. We are headed there next week. Oh, did I mention that it sucks?

You could find some patch skiing but another option would be to bring your MTB and hit the trails. Fruitta on the West side or Buffalo Creek on the Denver side. Either place and you'll have a great time!

It was a tough year all around. My three trips over to Utah were fun but super thin. Tahoe started extremely late and driving back the mtns of Colorado had as thin of a snowpack as I've ever seen in April. New England was pretty much bare.

The good news? Well next year has nowhere to go but up!

vdk03

I was sad to hear about this earlier in the week. Once they close my season is officially over. I am only a few days shy of my goal of 50 days on the mtn, so hopefully I can up there Saturday and Sunday. I'm hoping for the best but not expecting much. The past few weekends at Breckenridge have been surprisingly good with some fresh tracks in about a foot of the good stuff to the skiers left above Whales Tail. Lots of fun but challenging to a novice on telemark skies.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Lol... I have 3 major airports that are that distance or less from my home, Kennedy, La Guardia & Newark. It pays to live in NYC sometimes....:beer:

They are also 3 of the worst 5 airports in the country.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-best-and-worst-airports/2

I fly out of Westchester Co. airport whenever I can, so much better than the nyc ones.