• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What New Places Did You Ski This Year?

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
That might be very ordinary for you guys, but I skied Attitash and Loon for the first time this season. Not sure if I'll add any more this season.

15 ski areas so far...13 have been repeats.

wa-loaf

Burke and Loveland were the only new ones for me this year. Loved them both.

EPB

Got to Burke in mid January and skied limited terrain. I loved what was open and the natural stuff that I could see looked even better. I'll be back for sure.

Also got to Cannon for the first time in about 10 years.

darent

made it to smuggs for the first time, even though it was a low snow year the skiing was good, plan to return next year and hoping to go when all that nice terrain is open

elks

Arcalis, Pal, Arinsal, and Grandvalira in Andorra. Ski Ward in Shrewsbury. Big or small, no discrimination. ;-)

Mpdsnowman

My son turned 20 so I took him to smuggs for his birthday. I have not been there since the day of the reciprocal pass and I really wanted to go back.

But we had a blast. Even put a trip into Magic Hat along the way.

NotEasyBeingGreen

New this year: Smuggs, Butternut and Loon. Loon was so impressive (ski in/ski out condo didn't hurt the experience!)

Next year I'm targeting Jay and Sunday River.

Dying to go skiing in N.M. - probably not Taos, but Red River...someday.

Cornhead

New this year: Smuggs, Butternut and Loon. Loon was so impressive (ski in/ski out condo didn't hurt the experience!)

Next year I'm targeting Jay and Sunday River.

Dying to go skiing in N.M. - probably not Taos, but Red River...someday.

Loon is definitely on my to ski list, maybe next year, I want to hit Cannon too. Taos isn't a bad intermidate mountain, kind of like MRG here on the EC. The gnarly stuff is sure there if you want it at both. My son was almost shocked I skied MRG, I was a little hurt. I wasn't hucking any frozen waterfalls, like the ten year olds there, but I definitely challenged myself. I've skied Taos, Santa Fe, and Pajarito. I like them all.

I've skied Jay four days the last two years, but they were all at the end of the season, basically two trails, Haynes, and The Jet. It's been a good ten years since I've been there mid season, gotta get there then sometime, awesome place, especially when the "Jay Cloud" is doing it's thing.

skiNEwhere

Loon is definitely on my to ski list.

Loon is my least favorite ski resort on the East Coast. Too crowded and I don't feel like there is any challenging terrain. I don't think you're missing out. Plus I got stuck on the Kangamangus quad(However you spell it) for an hour and the mountain staff didn't even give us anything as compensations. Albeit, I have not been there since the expansion.

I skied Copper, Winter Park, Loveland, and Keystone.

gregnye

Loon Mt Tips

Loon is my least favorite ski resort on the East Coast. Too crowded and I don't feel like there is any challenging terrain. I don't think you're missing out. Plus I got stuck on the Kangamangus quad(However you spell it) for an hour and the mountain staff didn't even give us anything as compensations. Albeit, I have not been there since the expansion.

That Kangamangus quad!!!! The evilest part of loon!! Loon thought: More trails equals more spread out right? So they made all the trails exactly the same (like a cookie cutter)--with one evil lift that should be a 6-pack!!

Rules to remember at Loon (for people wanting to have an awesome time):

1. Get there early.
2. Go up gondola in morning--and never come down to the base (you will regret it, take the midway lifts). For those who are young or are already warmed up, take Angel Street (black diamond) first run in the morning to North Peak Express.
3. Eat lunch WICKED early!!! (like 10:00-10:30AM, unless they are serving Sunday Brunch, then good luck!!)
4. If you must return to car, do it only at exactly 12:00--when everyone is eating lunch. Always use 7-brothers and avoid Kangamangus from 9:30am-3:30pm.
5. YOU MUST GO TO SOUTH PEAK!!!! Longer runs, more interesting trails with shorter lift lines and crowding!! Go!!! The Tote-road quad only is a 5 minute ride (no stops).
6. Never go to summit cafe for lunch--too small!! Only go at 2:30pm at the earliest (for snack) and NEVER use the gondola--use the East Basin Double.
7. Only go to Kangamangus from 3:30 to 4:00. It stays open the latest, and if you come any earlier you will be bored out of your mind on those trails (unless you are a hard-core intermediate skier).

Those are the tips for y'all's trip to Loon! Be sure to follow them as they allow you to make the most of Loon, as it can be awesome!!! :-D

snowmonster

^ That's KANCAMAGUS. I have a different Loon strategy which ensures good parking and avoids crowds both on the hill and at lunch. However, it's like revealing a favorite fishing hole -- online. I'd rather show but not tell.

Loon has its limitations but I end up having an awesome time so it's all good.