• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What New Places Did You Ski This Year?

Cornhead

For me, Saddleback, Sugarbush, and Mad River Glen. So glad I made it back to Sugarbush, I was there last week of January with my Son, limited terrain, frozen granular groomers, it was a tease. It was a whole other place on my second visit. They received two feet just before I arrived, last week of February. For next year, I'm considering starting a trip in Maine and working my way home. Saddleback's upper mountain wasn't open when I skied it in March. I'd love to ski it, and Sugarloaf, mid season. Hopefully next year will be a more normal snow year. I've only been skiing that far from home when everything else is closed in the Spring, so many options closer to home. Knowing me, I'll probably do the same even if I make it there in the Winter.Gotta ski Jay with tmcc71, it's a tradition!

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I skied a LOT of new places this year. More than I ever have. Breck, Keystone, Vail, A Basin, Beaver Creek, Copper, Big Sky, Grand Targhee, Crested Butte, Jackson Hole. Out of all of those not local to me I really hope to get back to all of them actually...especially Jackson Hole and Crested Butte. When I skiied JH the weather wasn't ideal and for CB the snow wasn't ideal.

soposkier

Breckenridge, Vail and A-Basin.

Hit them in late January when they were just starting to open up a decent amount of terrain, back bowls and blue sky were open partially open and A-Basin opened up the Pali chair but only the slalom slope side. can't wait to get back next year when hopefully they have everything going, especially when hopefully A-Basin has Pali and Montezuma open.

jaytrem

I always try to get 10 new each year. For some reason it keeps getting harder and harder, go figure. Only managed 9 this year, all in BC/AB. Nothing new in the East for the frist time in ages. Was looking at Tuxedo Ridge or Living Memorial Park for #10, but the weather and broken t-bar didn't cooperate.

Panorama
Fairmont Hot Springs
Kimberley
Whitewater
Salmo
Red
Pass Powderkeg
Fernie
Castle

Kimberley was the best day, lots of snow and not many people. We we're still hitting untracked when the lifts closed.

Next year I'm thinking WY/ID/MT border area. That's the biggest gap in my ski tarvels.

jimmywilson69

Okemo While the mountain wasn't very challenging I thought it had some decent terrain, obviously much better than what I can ski in PA. It was a nice change, after 2 days of skiing Killington hard. Unfortunately it was groomed granular hard pack groomers. My wife really liked it, so we will definitely go back.

Cornhead

I skied a LOT of new places this year. More than I ever have. Breck, Keystone, Vail, A Basin, Beaver Creek, Copper, Big Sky, Grand Targhee, Crested Butte, Jackson Hole. Out of all of those not local to me I really hope to get back to all of them actually...especially Jackson Hole and Crested Butte. When I skiied JH the weather wasn't ideal and for CB the snow wasn't ideal.

Wow Stef, quite a list there, jealous.:beer:

gregnye

For me it was Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, The Canyons, and Deer Valley.

Next year, I intend to explore "my own backyard" so to speak. I mean, Utah's amazing, but I still fill inclined to check out more places in Vermont than just Jay Peak--possibly Stowe, and Burke.

Are they any others on the east coast that I should plan on hitting next year?

soposkier

For me it was Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, The Canyons, and Deer Valley.

Next year, I intend to explore "my own backyard" so to speak. I mean, Utah's amazing, but I still fill inclined to check out more places in Vermont than just Jay Peak--possibly Stowe, and Burke.

If it actually snows next year, I would highly suggest planning a sugarloaf/saddleback trip if you have never skied those areas.

ScottySkis

For me it was Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, The Canyons, and Deer Valley.o

The whole Mad river valley ski areas for sure, and shore people here will be shocked to here from me Plattekill in NY Catskills (you think they pay me or something lol ).

snoseek

Kirkwood-This was all new and almost immediately my favorite as soon as the snow came despite being a 45 min drive and I lived almost walking distance from heavenly.

Northstar-All the bros in Tahoe like to talk shit on Northstar but when a big storm rols into town I'll be skiing the backside or lookout with practically noone there while they wait in 45 minute lines to ski limited terrain. Also the snowmaking here was clutch during our early season drought...The only other area that was even close to northstar in January was heavenly. Both make lots of snow, both on the same pass.

Squaw-Finally got a nice sunny day here in early April. Lots of hype, now I know why. One of the sickest places I've set skis on and I've skied around quite a bit. I will have a pass here next year for sure, I'm seriously thinking about giving up my impossibly sweet living situation on South Lake to be closer to Squaw/Alpine. I probably won't but man is it tempting!

Overall I took a chance coming to Tahoe this winter. I had been here only two times in my life, once in spring and only at Heavenly and once in summer. Having done 3 winters in Utah and three in Colorado and skiing most other regions of the west and virtually all of the east this seemed like something new and different. At first I was pretty discouraged by the lack of snow and almost left for the second half of the winter. Instead I road tripped and hung in there. When it did come I understood what Tahoe is all about, dry spells and epic Sierra superstorms. The terrain and the snow that actually sticks to that terrain is the hook for me. Also the whole scene is one that I can be comfortable and happy with. The weed is dirt cheap, plentiful and just sooo damn good.

ScottySkis

Kirkwood-This was all new and almost immediately my favorite as soon as the snow came despite being a 45 min drive and I lived almost walking distance from heavenly.

Northstar-All the bros in Tahoe like to talk shit on Northstar but when a big storm rols into town I'll be skiing the backside or lookout with practically noone there while they wait in 45 minute lines to ski limited terrain. Also the snowmaking here was clutch during our early season drought...The only other area that was even close to northstar in January was heavenly. Both make lots of snow, both on the same pass.

Squaw-Finally got a nice sunny day here in early April. Lots of hype, now I know why. One of the sickest places I've set skis on and I've skied around quite a bit. I will have a pass here next year for sure, I'm seriously thinking about giving up my impossibly sweet living situation on South Lake to be closer to Squaw/Alpine. I probably won't but man is it tempting!

Overall I took a chance coming to Tahoe this winter. I had been here only two times in my life, once in spring and only at Heavenly and once in summer. Having done 3 winters in Utah and three in Colorado and skiing most other regions of the west and virtually all of othe east this seemed like something new and different. At first I was pretty discouraged by the lack of snow and almost left for the second half of the winter. Instead I road tripped and hung in there. When it did come I understood what Tahoe is all about, dry spells and epic Sierra superstorms. The terrain and the snow that actually sticks to that terrain is the hook for me. Also the whole scene is one that I can be comfortable and happy with. The weed is dirt cheap, plentiful and just sooo damn good.
So maybe i should head for Caly instead of Slc when i go west.

snoseek

So maybe i should head for Caly instead of Slc when i go west.

There's no right or wrong here. SLC is an incredible place with incredible skiing. I came very very close to going back there but just wanted to change it up, this time last year I had all intentions of moving to Ogden for the winter. I have a history of three year stints. Travel around as much as you can. There are things about Utah I despise however...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Considering I am still under 30 days, I did pretty good whacking away at my List. The Township Trifecta never happened, unfortunately. And I missed doing a Suicide Six/Whaleback combo for a second year in a row. But I racked up a good amount of first time visits:

Bretton Woods
Bear Peak at Attitash
Stratton
Dartmouth
Sunapee
Owl's Head

Next year, I'd like to whack off Suicide Six, Whaleback, Black (ME), and Shawnee. That will get me at least one day at every non-feeder area in Northern New England. Add in Orford and Sutton and I'll have all of the Townships that I care to see (no interest in Bromont). Then a trip to QC the year after that (I should probably at MSA to the list).

Out of all the areas I visited this season for the first time, I was most impressed by Dartmouth. Pretty cool little place and the only "new to me" area for this year that I will be returning to.