• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Amazon.com sales tax in MA soon?

AdironRider

Sucks. But from an overall perspective, something has to change. Many states built their fiscal economies of scale on pre-internet sales taxation. With the internet, you have fewer people paying local taxes despite a growth in population needing services. No such thing as a free lunch, and all that. People complain about states not being able to balance budgets yet they cling to their tax free internet and then complain when that goes away. Easy for me to toss these stones when I live in a non-glass house in NH. But there it is.

Trailboss might know more about this, but I think internet retailers have won these cases frequently because they are relying on laws that were in place pre-internet that had not envisioned an internet driven economy.

Working in retail with an online store, one issue I know as a manager is doing taxes by state would be very difficult for small businesses. I work for a national company with lawyers and techies staying abreast of taxation issues and making appropriate changes. It would be incredibly difficult for small businesses to handle 50 different tax codes and handle the logistics of both collection and distribution.

Hopefully something fair from the feds can get this thing working for everyone without hurting local small business. Only concern there is if people have gotten used to tax free online shopping, it will be a major economic pain to need to pay sales tax again. Could drag the so called recovery down again in places.

Doing taxes by state is easy, I just got done doing it for my company. The process takes one person maybe a day with any decent accounting software from Quickbooks all the way up to SAP ERP systems, so either its naivety or laziness if that truely were an issue. Its isnt, this is all about lost revenue as most people buy online for that reason and conveinience. Sales and use tax is easy and should be recorded when you pay each invoice or sale.

That being said, you honestly think state and local governments are running at 100% efficiency? Come on, we all know thats not true but noone ever brings that point up before the "ahh well just raise taxes" like you surmise above.