Mariano Rivera

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mariano Rivera

Mariano Rivera

The best closer of all time is probably done...torn ACL suffered shagging fly balls in the outfield before yesterday's game. Mariano is probably the main reason for the Yankees dominance since 1996.

Would have preferred to see him go out on his own terms. Just don't see him making the rehab effort needed at the age of 42. A sad day for the Yankees and baseball in general.

Although I'm sure there are some (many many many) MLB fans out there rejoicing.

Definitely sucks to see a living legend go down like that.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Definitely sucks to see a living legend go down like that.
    Yeah...but I think he has been struggling with the inevitable decision to retire even though it seemed he could pitch forever.

Of course I don't know him, but he seems personable and very spiritual. I'm guessing he's looking at this as a sign from above that his time has come. And as much as I'd like him to stay forever, I don't want him to hang on while his skills visibly deteriorate like many others do.

That would be much worse of an end than this.

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Yeah...but I think he has been struggling with the inevitable decision to retire even though it seemed he could pitch forever.

Of course I don't know him, but he seems personable and very spiritual. I'm guessing he's looking at this as a sign from above that his time has come. And as much as I'd like him to stay forever, I don't want him to hang on while his skills visibly deteriorate like many others do.

That would be much worse of an end than this.
    Agreed. I remember when they first won the series with him and he needed to speak through interpreters. He is a class act.

Too bad but he has made a lasting impression and should NOT try to HANG on.

In any career --------------Its far better to leave 'em wanting more than to needlessly linger and have them wish you'd go. Take the High Road Mo !
    Surround yourself with Positivity , Live Life , Collect Friends not Stuff and Avoid Negative Nuts

Red Sox fan here. I am very sad to see Rivera go down with an injury. I hope this is not career ending. He deserves better and I hope he gets to pitch again before he bows out. Would be great to have him in Fenway for one more game so that baseball fans can give him the applause he deserves.

I love this game.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    Red Sox fan here. I am very sad to see Rivera go down with an injury. I hope this is not career ending. He deserves better and I hope he gets to pitch again before he bows out. Would be great to have him in Fenway for one more game so that baseball fans can give him the applause he deserves.

I love this game.
    Yankees Fane here..."Like"

He is in excellent hands.

David Altchek rebuilt my right knee, osteotomy and replacement of the ACL and PCL.

That was over 10 years ago and my knee feels and performs great.

That's tough news, what a great reliever. I can't imagine the Yankees not offering him some kind of pitching coach position....but you never know....ex-stars with that much talent often find it tough to put up with mere average skills.
    In his 40s, like Nolan Ryan was, and still throwing with more stuff than the rest of baseball....
    SteveD

Thread Information