• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mariano Rivera

JimG.

Staff member
The best closer of all time is probably done...torn ACL suffered shagging fly balls in the outfield before yesterday's game. Mariano is probably the main reason for the Yankees dominance since 1996.

Would have preferred to see him go out on his own terms. Just don't see him making the rehab effort needed at the age of 42. A sad day for the Yankees and baseball in general.

Although I'm sure there are some (many many many) MLB fans out there rejoicing.

JimG.

Staff member
Definitely sucks to see a living legend go down like that.

Yeah...but I think he has been struggling with the inevitable decision to retire even though it seemed he could pitch forever.

Of course I don't know him, but he seems personable and very spiritual. I'm guessing he's looking at this as a sign from above that his time has come. And as much as I'd like him to stay forever, I don't want him to hang on while his skills visibly deteriorate like many others do.

That would be much worse of an end than this.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Yeah...but I think he has been struggling with the inevitable decision to retire even though it seemed he could pitch forever.

Of course I don't know him, but he seems personable and very spiritual. I'm guessing he's looking at this as a sign from above that his time has come. And as much as I'd like him to stay forever, I don't want him to hang on while his skills visibly deteriorate like many others do.

That would be much worse of an end than this.

Agreed. I remember when they first won the series with him and he needed to speak through interpreters. He is a class act.

Warp Daddy

Too bad but he has made a lasting impression and should NOT try to HANG on.

In any career --------------Its far better to leave 'em wanting more than to needlessly linger and have them wish you'd go. Take the High Road Mo !

snowmonster

Red Sox fan here. I am very sad to see Rivera go down with an injury. I hope this is not career ending. He deserves better and I hope he gets to pitch again before he bows out. Would be great to have him in Fenway for one more game so that baseball fans can give him the applause he deserves.

I love this game.

wintersyndrome

Red Sox fan here. I am very sad to see Rivera go down with an injury. I hope this is not career ending. He deserves better and I hope he gets to pitch again before he bows out. Would be great to have him in Fenway for one more game so that baseball fans can give him the applause he deserves.

I love this game.

Yankees Fane here..."Like"

JimG.

Staff member
He is in excellent hands.

David Altchek rebuilt my right knee, osteotomy and replacement of the ACL and PCL.

That was over 10 years ago and my knee feels and performs great.

bigbog

That's tough news, what a great reliever. I can't imagine the Yankees not offering him some kind of pitching coach position....but you never know....ex-stars with that much talent often find it tough to put up with mere average skills.
In his 40s, like Nolan Ryan was, and still throwing with more stuff than the rest of baseball....

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
yeah no matter who you root for, no one wants to see anyone get injured and frankly the challenge of an opposing team with a good closer makes a victory that much sweeter.

skiNEwhere

I'm a sox fan and yankee hater, but I am sad to see this happen, you never want to see a player get hurt, especially Rivera because he added so much fuel to the rvalry

JimG.

Staff member
ESPN just reported "complications" after meeting with 3 Docs in NY.

no details.

Just heard this too. Really worrisome.

Doubt this is a structural issue...these Orthopods can fix anything. That leaves other health related issues, none of which would be good news.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
NEW YORK -- The agent for Mariano Rivera said that the evaluation of the 42-year-old Yankees reliever's injured knee did not go smoothly on Monday.
"We ran into complications," agent Fernando Cuza told the New York Post. "I am referring to Dr. (Christopher) Ahmad and (Yankees general manager) Brian Cashman for further information."
Ahmad is the Yankees' team physician.
Tuesday morning, a high-ranking team official told ESPNNewYork.com that he didn't believe the complications were serious, but he said the team was still gathering information.
A source told ESPN the Magazine's Buster Olney the complications will have no bearing on Rivera's ability to have surgery and return from the injury.
Cashman declined to comment in detail when asked specifically about Cuza's comments, the Post reported.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...yankees-source-says-complications-not-serious