• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Steepest trails skied?

ScottySkis

I'm sure it was alta/snowbird but its not very hard to ski sick steep trails with 4 feet of powder.

AdironRider

The Claw, backcountry of Teton Pass, but it all kinda blends together out here.

Tux is just as steep. Better vibe too if you ask me.

Hockley Valley

Spanky's, blowhole, any DD off whistler peak, prima cornice are a few from the west
east bears ass and terrian beyong paradise....

Hawkshot99

For me it would be the Daily chutes at Deere Valley. But all they have is blue square groomers. Everyone knows that.

Geoff

Christmas Trees at Whistler the year Mount Baker broke the world snowfall record. I was skiing lines down what is usually a cliff band to Franz's. You can only ski steeps like that at coastal areas. In Utah or Colorado, it would slide. I was probably skiing things that were more than 45 degrees.

skiNEwhere

40 foot cliff at Squaw valley, didn't mean to ski to the cliff, but it was too steep to hike back up, so I hucked it and thankfully stuck the landing and didn't get hurt. Could have ended my skiing career. Would NOT do that again, very scary

skiadikt

Recently steep but fun: Pali at A-Basin and Lover's Leap at Vail.

Recent, not fun, wouldn't do again: Birds of Prey at the Beav.

Long time ago: slow ghost at schweitzer..

what didn't you like about birds of prey? not a fan of the downhill run but peregrine is a great bump run when there's enough snow.

elks

Maybe Cirque at Snowbird, which I've never hit on a comfy powder day. I recall the Alta Chutes at Jackson Hole being up there too.

kcyanks1

Probably a chute, the name of which I forgot, out of bounds at Jackson Hole somewhere in the Rock Springs area. I think that was likely steeper than any of the stuff I skied in-bounds at JH, which would probably otherwise be the steepest (Corbets, Tower 3, Alta Chutes, the very last Expert Chute at the end of the traverse).

john1200c

I guess it would be Ptarmigan at Attitash since that's where I do most of my skiing. There may have been steeper runs when I was younger, but I dont recall.....

kcyanks1

Probably a chute, the name of which I forgot, out of bounds at Jackson Hole somewhere in the Rock Springs area. I think that was likely steeper than any of the stuff I skied in-bounds at JH, which would probably otherwise be the steepest (Corbets, Tower 3, Alta Chutes, the very last Expert Chute at the end of the traverse).

Forgot to mention, Alta Zero (since it's not part of the normally open Alta Chutes) is steeper than Tower 3, other Alta Chutes, Experts.. Also a ridge off to skier's left of East Ridge Traverse is pretty steep and steeper than most other stuff inbounds probably, but not Alta Zero, I don't think.

4aprice

Highlands Bowl at Aspen Highlands , steep and long. Don't know if its the steepest but certainly one of the hardest I ever skied and perfectly named, a trail called Elevator Shaft on Ajax. The front 4 in Utah all have great drops all over the place.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Cannonball

Christmas Trees at Whistler the year Mount Baker broke the world snowfall record. I was skiing lines down what is usually a cliff band to Franz's. You can only ski steeps like that at coastal areas. In Utah or Colorado, it would slide. I was probably skiing things that were more than 45 degrees.

Oh, hell ya!! I was at Whistler skiing those trees that year. And at Baker the week before. Can we just talk about that season some more??? Dreaming......

Steeps: The above mentioned Whistler stuff, plus some others in Harmony Bowl. Pali chair and East wall at the Basin. Katchina at Taos. Headwall and Chute at Tux. Chutes at Alyeska. Looked over the edge at the Cirque Snowbird and backed off....but mostly 'cause it was bulletproof. Like most of these discussions, the conditions at any given time have at least as much to do with it than physical aspects of the trail.