• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Steepest trails skied?

bdfreetuna

Well like I said in another thread I passed on Delirium / Wild West at Sunshine when I was there. Possibly if I went there now (I used to race, now I ski more steeps) I might take another look at it... if the conditions were excellent.

Anyway my list in no particular order: Paradise @ MRG, Ridge / Chutes @ Jay, Church and chutes in that vicinity @ Sugarbush, and Hell's Kitchen @ Sunshine Village.

I am open to more East Coast suggestions. Whiteface chutes are on my list.

steamboat1

Paradise @ MRG (check) further out skiers left is crazier, Chutes @ Jay (check), Church @ Sugarbush (check) I know that area as the Cathedral.

The glades skiers left off Goat at Stowe (check), Starr & Lookout glades @ Stowe (check).

Otherwise lower Ovation at K & sections off the Snowfields at the Loaf are good. Honorable mention to a few things @ Smuggs.

deadheadskier

Staff member
^^^^^

Pipeline specifically skiers left of Goat (starts behind the Octagon) is about as steep of in bounds terrain as I've skied in the east, especially for how long it is. It's got to be 500 plus vertical of rentlessness. If you're not one of the first 3 or 4 skiers to hit it after a storm it really isn't worth doing though as all the snow will be pushed off of it and it just becomes long ass ice luge.

I found this image online where you can see where it widens out at the bottom and re-enters Nosedive, but it extends all the way up to the Octagon with the top 75% of the chute being no wider than 7 feet, many places narrower.

There's some stuff off the Kitchen Wall that is steeper that you can get to hiking up to the weather station and cutting across, but nothing that I've found is as relentless as Pipeline.

AdironRider

Forgot to mention, Alta Zero (since it's not part of the normally open Alta Chutes) is steeper than Tower 3, other Alta Chutes, Experts.. Also a ridge off to skier's left of East Ridge Traverse is pretty steep and steeper than most other stuff inbounds probably, but not Alta Zero, I don't think.

Thats because its a cliff band in all but the deepest years (consisting of Cupcake and Birthday Cake). I think its been open for like a week or two in the last 6 years. It doesnt really count as an inbounds run.

Just to lookers right is the 50-70 footer known as the diving board (kinda sorta part of Alta Zero), which goes off once or twice a year when the big dogs let em rip. Most people just blow out femurs.

East Ridge Traverse is not that steep, outside of like 20-30 vert at the very end.

For Jackson, the most consistently steep skiing is off the backside into Granite. 4000 vert 40 degree sustained couloirs. You certainly earn those turns on the traverse out though. Rock Springs has a couple really short shots (say 40-50 vert) that are pretty damn steep, but Granite is where you'll get the pucker factor. Well, and Pucker Face as well, but thats more just because its a convex rollover with a cliffband halfway through.

BeefyBoy50

I'll start with Out west:
Snowbird- tons of steep runs. Upper Cirque is pretty damn steep, so is the cliff band near the base of the run called Fields of Glory if you hike mount baldy. The thing that really scared the SH*T out of me though was the doors near the Gadzoom High speed quad- they are 3 short but incredibly steep chutes down a virtual cliff band.One of them is so steep that skiiers/riders need to hold onto a rope and slide down just to get into the run. That was two years ago and probably the most recent run I've skiied that I thought I was gonna die. Of course some insane boarder dude was there and hucked a 40-60 foot cliff during all this.
Alta- Never skiied anything at Alta as steep as what's at the Bird, I haven't spent as much time there.
Heavenly- For the most part this mountain is flat compared to Snowbird but Killebrew/Mott Canyons have some pretty steep runs.
Crested Butte- The headwall is a steep, sustained pitch. IDK what in degrees but i'd like to guess over 45˚ (doubt its true though). Banana Peel is also steep. Rambo I have not skiied (never enough snow) but that run looks like DEATH.
Big Sky- The Big Couloir ( i don't have avy equipment so I couldn't ski it) is one of the steepest in bounds runs I've ever seen. The Gullies on Lone Peak are the steepest runs I skied there.

In the east-
From just a guess, the steepest thing I've seen has to be the face chutes at Jay. I've never skiied there but I wish I could.
Outer Limits, the bottom section of Superstar, and the bottom section of Julio at Killington are all very steep in places.
The Slides at Whiteface look steep but they weren't open when I was there.

MadMadWorld

I'll start with Out west:
Snowbird- tons of steep runs. Upper Cirque is pretty damn steep, so is the cliff band near the base of the run called Fields of Glory if you hike mount baldy. The thing that really scared the SH*T out of me though was the doors near the Gadzoom High speed quad- they are 3 short but incredibly steep chutes down a virtual cliff band.One of them is so steep that skiiers/riders need to hold onto a rope and slide down just to get into the run. That was two years ago and probably the most recent run I've skiied that I thought I was gonna die. Of course some insane boarder dude was there and hucked a 40-60 foot cliff during all this.
Alta- Never skiied anything at Alta as steep as what's at the Bird, I haven't spent as much time there.
Heavenly- For the most part this mountain is flat compared to Snowbird but Killebrew/Mott Canyons have some pretty steep runs.
Crested Butte- The headwall is a steep, sustained pitch. IDK what in degrees but i'd like to guess over 45˚ (doubt its true though). Banana Peel is also steep. Rambo I have not skiied (never enough snow) but that run looks like DEATH.
Big Sky- The Big Couloir ( i don't have avy equipment so I couldn't ski it) is one of the steepest in bounds runs I've ever seen. The Gullies on Lone Peak are the steepest runs I skied there.

In the east-
From just a guess, the steepest thing I've seen has to be the face chutes at Jay. I've never skiied there but I wish I could.
Outer Limits, the bottom section of Superstar, and the bottom section of Julio at Killington are all very steep in places.
The Slides at Whiteface look steep but they weren't open when I was there.

I thought your parents never took you with them?

RISkier

In my mind, part of the downhill course at Snowbasin was the steepest stuff I've ever been on. It was rolling off so fast I couldn't really see the bottom. The steepness scared me and I skied it pretty defensively. But, the snow was good and it really wasn't that hard. Conditions make a huge difference. Steep and icy is just in a different category than steep and soft.

goldsbar

IME, steepest and longest inbounds is Whistler (vs. JH, Alta/Bird, Park city areas, Steamboat). Can't remember the trail names. East Coast style snow and ice with really long steeps.

Wally Brown

All of the following you must hike to ski. Tuckerman Ravine left gully, right gully, Hillmans Highway and sluice. Haven't done the headwall yet. In Utah, the Baldy Chutes at Alta; these are not always open due to the avalanche danger.

kingslug

All of the following you must hike to ski. Tuckerman Ravine left gully, right gully, Hillmans Highway and sluice. Haven't done the headwall yet. In Utah, the Baldy Chutes at Alta; these are not always open due to the avalanche danger.
Yup..I've been told that the Comma chute is super rare as its pretty much cliff skiing to get there...I'm glad I had a very good guide when I went, the chute wasn't too bad...Little Chute off Blady was a whole other ballgame...very narrow and 50 degrees at the top..I will not do that again...Tux was pretty steep...The Dictator chutes at Big Sky where up there, The Big couloir was socked in but looked pretty nuts...

MadMadWorld

Whitewall Chutes and several ridiculously steep chutes off of T1 at Kicking Horse.

Did Whitewall twice and the second time I had a near death experience when I slid down 3/4 of it's rocky face. All caught on my helmet cam though!

BeefyBoy50

I thought your parents never took you with them?

I just looked at my old "Hello Everybody" post and realized the wording is not very clear. My parents both love skiing and we all go out west as a family once a year in March, and I love them for that. They never take me up East to ski, though, because my mom doesn't like driving for 6-7 hours.

ScottySkis

I just looked at my old "Hello Everybody" post and realized the wording is not very clear. My parents both love skiing and we all go out west as a family once a year in March, and I love them for that. They never take me up East to ski, though, because my mom doesn't like driving for 6-7 hours.

We have buses that go to south Vermont every weekend from NYC and usually they will go to north Vermont for a whole weekend, do you have buses from Philly check the local ski shops, you could take the bus to NYC and do it from here but that would be a lot of hours on a bus.

mlkrgr

We have buses that go to south Vermont every weekend from NYC and usually they will go to north Vermont for a whole weekend, do you have buses from Philly check the local ski shops, you could take the bus to NYC and do it from here but that would be a lot of hours on a bus.

Nacski is a great provider who operates in the NYC and the Boston area. For this year, they raised the prices but they are still a good deal after their Facebook coupons. Still I see Killington 1/19 is $98 after the Facebook coupon from NYC. Still, extremely good deal for letting someone else do 10 hours of driving and that's probably a good $50/$60 savings on gasoline.