• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Steepest trails skied?

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Crested Butte- The headwall is a steep, sustained pitch. IDK what in degrees but i'd like to guess over 45˚ (doubt its true though). Banana Peel is also steep. Rambo I have not skiied (never enough snow) but that run looks like DEATH.
I've skied the Headwall and Banana Peel and they are both steep, as well as lots of pretty hair stuff in the back bowls, but Rambo is steeper and scarier than all of them.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Really hard to say...perception versus reality. When did I ski it, how old was I. How much steep stuff experience at that time.

Here are good candidates for the steepest stuff that I've skied - again real hard:

Tuckerman and Great Gulf, NH
Chic Chocs, QC
Whitehorn Chutes, Lake Louise AB (it wasn't a trail when I skied it, but I believe its on the map now)
Stuff at Blackcomb BC (on the map)
Big Sky/Moonlight Basin MT (on the map)
Alta Chutes/Tower 3? at Jackson Hole WY (on the map)
Hangman's Lip at Mammoth on July 1. :p (on the map)

Les Trois Vallées (Stuff in Courchevel and Val Thorens), France (on the map)
Les Arcs, France (on the map)
La Hoya, Argentina (sort of on the map)
Las Lenas, Argentina (off-piste)

edit: just realized the topic was trail.

Hawkshot99

Got a ride in the winch cat tonight. Rode along for 2 trails at Jiminy. Jericho and Wild Turkey.
The pics are from the steepest part of Jericjo. A 1-200 yard section that the operator said was around 45 degrees. The rest of the trail is steep but not nearly to that level.

The pics dont show nearly the steepness.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357786594907.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357786594907.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 48
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357786616165.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357786616165.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 48
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357786633892.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357786633892.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 48

boston_e

By far for me the steepest stuff was stuff on a heli trip in Valdez. Clench up your butt cheeks steep. Actually surprised I did it, but, once the heli leaves, you don't have much choice. :-o