• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mittersill snowmaking

SIKSKIER

I knew this would probably happen soon as the new lift only ran 5 days last year.Getting somebody else to pay for it is a bonus,,,I think.

By PAULA TRACY
New Hampshire Union Leader

Published May 7, 2012 at 3:00 am (Updated May 6, 2012)

FRANCONIA — Plans are coming together to create an alpine ski racing and training venue at Cannon's Mittersill.

Skiers and snowboarders at the state-owned ski area would benefit from the trail enhancement project, which will allow the Mittersill slopes to be open more due to the addition of snowmaking.

The Franconia Ski Club, Holderness School and friends of Cannon Mountain are raising the funds necessary for snowmaking, a T-bar lift, trail enhancement and perhaps lighting on portions of Mittersill.

The plan, which would come as a gift to the state, would need permitting and to be accepted by the Governor and Executive Council.

Its value would be about $2.5 million.

General Manager John DeVivo said the proposal is part of a long-range plan to develop Mittersill. He said the earliest the project could come together would be the 2013-2014 season.

He called it a “win-win” for the public, the state operations and for the clubs interested in creating a new venue.

“The public gets a great mix of natural and man-made at Mittersill, the lift would run daily, and FSC would be off of the Front Five and have solid giant slalom and Super G venues,” he said last week.

DeVivo was describing the “front five” trails, where currently about 200 FSC and Holderness atheletes train.

The plan is to widen trails at Mittersill, which could be used for giant slalom, Super G and Slalom ski racing.

FSC and Holderness share coaching staff and use Ernie's Haus at the base of Rocket and Gary's runs at Cannon as their center.

The plan is to continue to be based there, “Although moving to Mittersill is the long-term plan” according to fundraising literature.

To be internationally certified for such racing, trails need certain length and slope grades.

Barron's Run would be an approved giant slalom and short Super G course and Mittersill's Taft Slope would be approved for slalom and giant slalom, with night lighting and a T-bar in the center of the mountain.

The quick turn-around, dedicated, surface lift would access the Taft Slope. Snowmaking equipment would be installed on both Barron's and Taft, which would be paid for through fundraising.

Grooming would be absorbed into the Cannon-Mittersill nightly maintenance effort, DeVivo said.

In 2011, the state installed a $2 million chairlift to the summit of Mittersill. But because of the poor snow year and that there currently is no snowmaking on Mittersill, the lift was operational for only about five days. In 2011, it was open about 70 days.
Snowmaking equipment would cost as much as $1 million.

Georg Capaul, head of snowsports at Holderness School and a former U.S. Ski Team coach, said Baron's Run has a vertical drop of 1,148 feet and a slope length of 4,152 feet, making it exceptionally good for Giant Slalom and Super G, while the Taft Slope would be widened to 90 meters and be capable of hosting multiple races at the same time.

The giant slalom course would have a vertical drop of 749 feet and a slope length of 2,448 feet, with an average gradient of 32 percent.

The slalom hill would have a vertical drop of 471 feet and a slope length of 1,703 feet, with an average gradient of 28.9 percent.
The plan is to raise as much as $2.5 million for the trail developments, snowmaking and surface lift, which could be used by the public, with limitations, during events.

Baron's will be dedicated to public use with limited allocation to racing/training. Other areas would be left alone and still would allow for the “back-country” elements that define the area.

DeVivo said the plan also accounts for the Bicknell's Thrush, a small songbird that ests above 2,500 feet on Mittersill. It is a species in decline and the conditions for reopening Mittersill were contingent on protecting its nesting area.

He said the ski group has met with officials related to the protection of the birds, including officials from Fish and Game, The NH Audubon Society and the Forest Service and the and the initial response has been positive.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I were a pass holder at Cannon, I would want a guarantee that only 1 of the 2 trails can be closed for racing at a given time, not both. I'd imagine it would be pretty frustrating to see the Mittersill lift spinning for racers only if the natural trails aren't skiable for the general public.

bobbutts

So now that it's going to be snowmaking, grooming, night skiing, and widened they're probably going to be wishing they put in a higher capacity lift instead of that double.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If I were a pass holder at Cannon, I would want a guarantee that only 1 of the 2 trails can be closed for racing at a given time, not both. I'd imagine it would be pretty frustrating to see the Mittersill lift spinning for racers only if the natural trails aren't skiable for the general public.

+1. They alluded to the fact that they are moving from the Front Five as if that is some kind of benefit. Was there a problem with having them there?

And last year they were thinking of reviving the old World Cup trail on the frontside. We also heard of a plan to build a trail over near Skylight. I guess this is the scenario that they want.

SIKSKIER

So now that it's going to be snowmaking, grooming, night skiing, and widened they're probably going to be wishing they put in a higher capacity lift instead of that double.

Actually bob they couldn't have.The land swap was only allowed if the trails and liftline stayed the same demensions as when Mittersill was operating.That meant that the new lift could only be a double because the liftline could not be widened for a higher capacity lift than the old double.

gregnye

Night Skiing? On the double, or only on the T-bar/Taft Slope???

Not really necessary in my opinion. Not many places to stay around there (besides the one Inn), so is there really that high of a demand??? Or is it for the racer's only?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd assume it would be to extend the training period. The division that Holderness is in gets out of class on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1 and trains on those days. Races are Wednesdays and Saturdays. Best case scenario puts them at the mountain at 2 with bus travel. I'd imagine the lights would be mainly for the racers, but I'm sure the public could enjoy it as well.

drjeff

So it sounds like Bode Miller is interested in parting with some of his cash and wants to further the cause of ski racing at a place that he probably holds pretty near and dear to his heart

thetrailboss

Staff member
So it sounds like Bode Miller is interested in parting with some of his cash and wants to further the cause of ski racing at a place that he probably holds pretty near and dear to his heart

And, despite what Bretton Woods thinks, his home is really Cannon.

bode_bretton_woods.jpg

bode.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You think any one actually cares? If anything, if you were a Cannon pass holder (or had Cannon for a home mountain) you would know that the current race training often closes trails at Cannon proper and can frequently be a source of frustration for racers and the public alike. Baron's Run wouldn't be "open" without snow making any ways. Even if the race trails are the only open trails at Mittersill and closed for racing, it is still a total win win. Especially when you consider that trail isn't open most days out of the year already. It isn't like Cannon skiers will be missing anything... except racers cluttering the main trails.

I'm interested to see what happens to Ernie's House at the base of Gary's if they eventually move over to Mittersill. I wonder if Cannon will absorb that building and create a new access point (i.e. Zoomer Base Lodge).

Not sure what they mean by the Taft Slope though I have a good guess. Never heard it referred to by that name. I've tried extensively to identify which current trails originally were part of the Taft. From everything I have gathered, no one seems to know any more.

One logistical issue is going to be getting back to Cannon proper from Mittersill during a race or training on Baron's. They'll probably need to station a spotter at the cut back so that returning skiers don't blow into a racer.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
That is some pretty wild speculation. Could be possible but it is still wild speculation.

gregnye

Actually bob they couldn't have.The land swap was only allowed if the trails and liftline stayed the same demensions as when Mittersill was operating.That meant that the new lift could only be a double because the liftline could not be widened for a higher capacity lift than the old double.

They could have put in a high-speed detachable double like the one in Aspen!! :razz:

...Though, I am quite glad they didn't. It wouldn't be Cannon with these "crazy high speed chairs" I am glad the plan calls for a T-bar. A throwback to old school!

deadheadskier

Staff member
You think any one actually cares? If anything, if you were a Cannon pass holder (or had Cannon for a home mountain) you would know that the current race training often closes trails at Cannon proper and can frequently be a source of frustration for racers and the public alike..

I'm aware, and this is not unique to Cannon. Even at Gunstock it's not uncommon to have two of the better trails closed for race operations.

There's a difference between having a couple Front Five trails closed for race operations where the general public can still ski the other trails off the lift versus having the only open trails at Mittersill closed for racing. That's closing an entire mountain pod, which would frustrate day ticket and season pass holders a lot more than closing a couple of Front Five trails.

All I'm suggesting is that if they have snowmaking on both Baron's and the Taft Slope and they are open frequently, only allocate 1 to racing at a time. I think that's a fairly reasonable request.

AdironRider

They could have put in a high-speed detachable double like the one in Aspen!! :razz:

...Though, I am quite glad they didn't. It wouldn't be Cannon with these "crazy high speed chairs" I am glad the plan calls for a T-bar. A throwback to old school!

More like standard ops for any serious race venue. I doubt the tbar will be open to the public very often, if at all. Will most likely be operated for race events and night practices and thats it.

This is in no way a bad thing for Cannon. Trail widening and snowmaking as a gift is pretty easy and all the mountain has to do is groom two extra trails a night? If your a GM you make that deal, every time.

Having enjoyed excellent skier per acre for the past 5 years racers are really a drag in close quarters. They actually do mandatory GS turns.... well, mandatory in their own heads.

Mittersill needs to be utilized to its fullest. Anything that brings more Mitt to the table is a good thing.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Given how often that double runs, I don't think any one is going to care. The article says they are going to keep it open for the public as often as possible.

drjeff

That is some pretty wild speculation. Could be possible but it is still wild speculation.

I know it's out there a bit, but even these last few years as Bode has seemed to mature a bit, I still wouldn't put it past him to do something like that, especially given his ties to the region and all that ski racing has given him over the years

Smellytele

One logistical issue is going to be getting back to Cannon proper from Mittersill during a race or training on Baron's. They'll probably need to station a spotter at the cut back so that returning skiers don't blow into a racer.

I know they can't put in anything new that wasn't there before but I thought that had to do with the top part that was Federal land. Could they put in another t-bar near the base of the double back toward Tuckerbrook area to alleviate this issue ?