• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kayaking Forum?

skiNEwhere

Are there enough kayakers out their to start up a kayaking forum?

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
boatertalk
my favorite; npmb.com
paddling.net
c-boats.net (single blade site)
club stuff with the AMC

Canoe poling...if it was easy they'd call it kayaking.

Single blade...half the paddle; twice the paddler.

Personally, your class 2 is my class 8!! Twice the boat, half the paddle...do the math :) lol.

bigbog

well skiNEwhere...we can't win em' all. When the admin speaks, the laws are written....;-)
mattm59,
Although I love to paddle and talk canoeing...I have to admit I spend most of my non-skiing time mixing the hiking with maine-woods wildlife-touring & watershed-exploring(waders and flyrod behind the backseat).. Think a canoe(of some form) purchase this coming fall might happen, although another vehicle and skis will prolly take precedence.

Last edited:

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
yeah bigbog

I got rid of 6 boats last year, from an 8' Rigid Inflatable to a 28' sailboat, 2 C-1's and a squirtboat...now I'm down to 6 OC's, 2 for poling, 3 OC-1's, 1 OC-2. Used to paddle about 200 times a year; cl.2-4. now that I found out about hiking and biking it's about 30 or so....Poling as a safety boater today for "the boateater challenge." I find the ww community very sociable and I don't want to lose those friendships, I think it's 'cuz we NEED each other.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/577169564lEvemf

Hey, bigbog..are you bigspencer over on npmb?..."just my $.02" ;-) I'm mattm, the guy with the orange helmet poling on top of the screen.

Last edited:

bigbog

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/577169564lEvemf

Hey, bigbog..are you bigspencer over on npmb?..."just my $.02" ;-) I'm mattm, the guy with the orange helmet poling on top of the screen.

Yep...hey Matt I thought it sounded a lot like you.
Good 4You on the partial armada sales....must be some weight off the shoulders even as far as where to put them all..;-)....although is that how "renovations" are started:???:
We've been getting showers pretty regularly up here = water levels, up to the present, have been down ~20%. Can see it on the bigger lakes' shorelines. Crossing fingers for summer showers. You've taken some nice pics, really enjoy them. I've been a bit lagging in that department...

SteveD

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Just start a thread for the season. Call it Kayaking 2012 or The Kayaking Thread or something. This has happened for golf the last few seasons.

And for the record, can't freaking WAIT to get our boats in the water. Waiting for the lakes to warm up a touch more, though.

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
prefer the winter

paddling, as my photo albums will attest. Snow on the trees/ice on the rocks, tubers, fishermen and those incapable of self rescue are off the river. This winter was a bust though, as there's nothing as good in the paddling world as hitting a nice class 3 creek on a snowmelt day. Still managed the traditional new years day paddle. Waiting on a hurricane to run the gnar, although the levels have come up for mild whitewater and decent poling.

mlctvt

Interesting, I was just going to ask everyone here about kayaking. For years my wife and I talked about getting kayaks but last fall we finally bought two sea kayaks. We live at the mouth of the CT river so we wanted boats that would allow us to go out into LI sound.
I'm sure most are probbably into river kayaks and I'm also interested in those. Years ago I had a canoe and we did some extended trips like a week doing the entire Alagash Wilderness and some multi-days in the Adirondacks.

bigbog

Ditto mattm59's info,
As far as coastal Maine paddling, on paddling.net there have been more than a few threads with info regarding the Maine coastal zone areas...Stonington, Acadia NP, Boothbay...and the numerous islands etc. There's also mainetoday.com...somewhat associated(I think) with the Portland Press Herald...think there's an outdoor section somewhere in there....Peaks Island...etc.

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
as far as living by th emouth of the CT.

I'm sure you're aware to stay over on the Old Lyme side if heading out into the sound. I kept my sailboat in North cove about 10 years before getting silted out and heading for New Londons deeper waters; then selling BlueMoon as after 40 years, the jellyfish and crowded anchorages started ticking me off. That channel is horrendous with powerboat traffic at times.
Other great spots though are kayaking Selden Creek area just up from Essex, Essex is cool too. Bluff point is a fairly sheltered area, and draws paddlers in. I used to bring a canoe down to New London to have with Blue Moon, and used to love paddling the West side of the Thames in the dark, feeling that ground swell from the Race, and being in the dark, watching the traffic in the channel, and lit buoys and lighthouses. Pretty sure I'll get another sailboat in about 10 years or so, and have a deck big enough for a canoe. We paddled around Block Island, over at Watch Hill, and in the Harbors around Shelter Island and Montauk. Nice change from the whitewater I generally am on.

mlctvt

I'm sure you're aware to stay over on the Old Lyme side if heading out into the sound. I kept my sailboat in North cove about 10 years before getting silted out and heading for New Londons deeper waters; then selling BlueMoon as after 40 years, the jellyfish and crowded anchorages started ticking me off. That channel is horrendous with powerboat traffic at times.
Other great spots though are kayaking Selden Creek area just up from Essex, Essex is cool too. Bluff point is a fairly sheltered area, and draws paddlers in. I used to bring a canoe down to New London to have with Blue Moon, and used to love paddling the West side of the Thames in the dark, feeling that ground swell from the Race, and being in the dark, watching the traffic in the channel, and lit buoys and lighthouses. Pretty sure I'll get another sailboat in about 10 years or so, and have a deck big enough for a canoe. We paddled around Block Island, over at Watch Hill, and in the Harbors around Shelter Island and Montauk. Nice change from the whitewater I generally am on.

I'm familiar with most of what you mentioned. I live in Essex and I've done the Selden Island loop dozens of times, my first time when i was 8 years old with my father in a canoe. About 20 years ago I lived in a Condo that looked out over North Cove so I may have seen your boat :-D . I've never paddled the Thames but I'm planning on going to the Bluff point area in a few weeks. We'll get to Watch Hill and the RI ponds (Quonochontaug, Ninigret, Green Hill) this summer in addition to the Mystic River too