• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any Backcountry Skiing in CT?

TheRabidMoose

Hi, I'm new to the forum and must say that I'm a little disappointed with the 2011-2012 winter (as I'm sure anyone reading this was.) I started lusting for telemarking after getting out on my cross country skis a few times last winter. I spent most of my time ice climbing that year, and didn't catch the bug for skiing until it was too late.
So I geared up and spent the winter skiing Sundown, with a few trips up north to Suggs and Sugarbush. I got my turn down pretty good by the end of the season, especially for someone who never skied before. I had loads of fun, but I spent alot of time wishing I could venture out into the local woods and do some exploring. I found that I liked skiing the somewhat narrower, twisty trails. I think my favorite was Sleeper at Sugarbush, even more so when the rocks started to show through.
My question is, can someone tell me about the limited potential that CT has for backcountry skiing? Is there anyone out there who, provided we get a decent winter next year, would be willing to take me out on some excursions? I live in the Northeast Corner, not far from some NELSAs, and spend alot of time wishing that it was that wonderful winter of 2011-2012 again. Let's go clear out some woods for skiing, or lobby the DEP to allow a backcountry ski trail, or just talk about skiing in CT. :spin:

bvibert

Staff member
In my experience there isn't enough snow in the woods of CT to permit skiing most winters. Most of the time even if we get a decent snow fall it melts before the next storm. One exception being the winter before this past one.

amf

Ct bc

Although I have never skied there, I'm sure CT has LOADS of bc skiing potential. As Brian said, its more a question of snow. Here in MASH, some of the best bc I have had was along the Tohickon Creek gorge in eastern PA one cold winter with over a foot of snow and the creek frozen over. You just have to be ready to get while the gettin's good.

amf

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
In my experience there isn't enough snow in the woods of CT to permit skiing most winters. Most of the time even if we get a decent snow fall it melts before the next storm. One exception being the winter before this past one.

Really? I mean I know this winter was bad but we have lots of winters where there is snow on the ground for a majority of the season. It's certainly thinner cover than up north, but it has to exist.

I think the bigger question is the size of the hills you have to choose from :lol:

Bonus: probably very little avalanche danger in Connecticut

RustyGroomer

I'm really no help here just bored on a Friday. I have 44 steps that lead to a small lake in CT.. Just wanted to share this.

247348_2146256659636_1342860205_4164058_7736779_n.jpg

247348_2146256699637_1342860205_4164059_3630144_n.jpg

This is what it looked like 2 yrs ago.

164371_1848871465192_1342860205_3706340_8181689_n.jpg

163712_1848866185060_1342860205_3706336_7819642_n.jpg

All my stuff was in VT so the pillows never got skied. :x

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Hi, I'm new to the forum and must say that I'm a little disappointed with the 2011-2012 winter (as I'm sure anyone reading this was.) I started lusting for telemarking after getting out on my cross country skis a few times last winter. I spent most of my time ice climbing that year, and didn't catch the bug for skiing until it was too late.
So I geared up and spent the winter skiing Sundown, with a few trips up north to Suggs and Sugarbush. I got my turn down pretty good by the end of the season, especially for someone who never skied before. I had loads of fun, but I spent alot of time wishing I could venture out into the local woods and do some exploring. I found that I liked skiing the somewhat narrower, twisty trails. I think my favorite was Sleeper at Sugarbush, even more so when the rocks started to show through.
My question is, can someone tell me about the limited potential that CT has for backcountry skiing? Is there anyone out there who, provided we get a decent winter next year, would be willing to take me out on some excursions? I live in the Northeast Corner, not far from some NELSAs, and spend alot of time wishing that it was that wonderful winter of 2011-2012 again. Let's go clear out some woods for skiing, or lobby the DEP to allow a backcountry ski trail, or just talk about skiing in CT. :spin:

I remember this thread from a few years ago:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php?t=90073&highlight=backcountry+skiing

bvibert

Staff member
Really? I mean I know this winter was bad but we have lots of winters where there is snow on the ground for a majority of the season. It's certainly thinner cover than up north, but it has to exist.

I think the bigger question is the size of the hills you have to choose from :lol:

Bonus: probably very little avalanche danger in Connecticut

I can't recall too many winters in recent memory that there was snow cover the majority of the season. Even there was it doesn't mean it was deep enough to ski on. I've skied on a few inches of fresh over leaves and other debris in CT woods, it wasn't worth it. And I'm a guy that likes skiing thin cover areas, and who doesn't care about his bases.

There will be opportunities to get some good turns in, but they will generally be rare and short lived. I personally wouldn't put a lot of effort in trying to maintain any lines.

TheRabidMoose

Thanks for all your input guys. I guess I'm just being overly optomistic. I know most years probably don't provide many opportunities, but I figured there has to be times when the cover is deep enough. I caught the ski bug and I'm stuck in the wrong state. By the way, nice staircase Rusty.

abc

Well not to far from CT. is ny catskills mountain and their is backcountry skiing their.
The Cats is an hour beyond the Berkshire, which has just as big mountains.

By the time he gets to the Cats from the northeast of the state, he's almost to NH/VT!

Sorry, the Cats are totally wrong direction.

laxski

Secret or no one believes it?

Just bought a backcountry set-up Fisher S-Bound 98 3-pin cable binding and Alpina 1575 boots.Will be cruising the woods of north shore of Long Island and occasionally up to our place in Southern Vermont.I'm excited to try the metal-edge Free Heel having done tons of downhill and a good amount of cross country but no metal edge

Cannonball

Just bought a backcountry set-up Fisher S-Bound 98 3-pin cable binding and Alpina 1575 boots.Will be cruising the woods of north shore of Long Island and occasionally up to our place in Southern Vermont.I'm excited to try the metal-edge Free Heel having done tons of downhill and a good amount of cross country but no metal edge

I've had that same setup for a few years. Love it for untracked XC type stuff. Still pretty tough to turn. But it can make any terrain exhilarating!