• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Road/Dirt Mixed Riding

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
It sounds like you need a "Gravel Grinder" - type bike. Something with a nice road geometry, but clearance for wider tires. There's plenty of bikes like that out there. I was thinking along the same lines (not that I need another bike), and I was thinking of getting something with disc brakes and 135mm rear spacing so I could use my 29er wheels . . . Maybe something like the On One Pompetamine. Since you are a bikesdirect guy, though, I'm sure something like this $500 job would be fine (I'd be okay starting with the Sora components because if you're going to be riding gravel/dirt/cyclocross, you're probably going to be wearing stuff out pretty quick and you can replace as needed):

grav_liberty_cxd_org_500.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Thanks for the suggestion MC2. Though, check out my last post. I've decided 700x25 is sufficient for my needs. I couldn't go Sora regardless and I'll probably not be returning to BikesDirect for a variety of reasons (great for a first bike though). If I end up going the cross route, I'd go for either the On One Dirty Disco (hot!) or the Setta CX1 (wicked sick deal). But just for dirt/pavement mixed riding, a regular road bike is actually perfect. 700x28 tires might be better but they are certainly not needed for my needs.

Basically, I'm good and enjoying the dirt roads as is and keeping my money in the bank for a carbon DI2 road upgrade. :D