• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Right or Wrong in adding to history

Puck it

Couple of exerpts from article

On Feb. 22, 1924, Calvin Coolidge became the first president to make a public radio address to the American people. President Coolidge later helped create the Federal Radio Commission, which has now evolved to become the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). President Obama became the first president to hold virtual gatherings and town halls using Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, etc.

In 2002, President George W. Bush's State of the Union was the first to be live broadcast on the Internet. In 2011 and 2012, President Obama's State of the Union speeches were available in an enhanced live stream version that featured infographics, charts and data side-by-side in real time with the President's speech.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...istory-to-insert-obama/1?loc=interstitialskip

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Without getting political (is that even possible?) I see no reason why a 1 page presidential biography should include anything other than that particular presidents own accomplishments and facts. Those pages are obviously supposed to be about a particular individual so just leave it like that.

It's interesting it's in the "Did You Know" column, which presumably would mean, "Did you know X about this president".

If they were going to do this, then they should talk about the policies all the way through history. But that would then not be an biography on a particular president anymore but rather a narrative on the policies they enacted. Which isn't what the page is about.

Also; have other presidents done this before? (not sure how long the official biography pages have been up for)

:dontknow:

Anyway. Now I have to debate on whether this thread will go on OK or not. I don't see how this can NOT create an AlpineZone firestorm. But we'll see haha.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Also: interestingly on the biography page, (I didn't know this), was Abraham Lincoln also the first president to have a photograph of him (vs. a painting)

wa-loaf

Also: interestingly on the biography page, (I didn't know this), was Abraham Lincoln also the first president to have a photograph of him (vs. a painting)

He also fought vampires:

ctenidae

It's pretty clumsy and fairly obvious, but I'm sure every ex-President since Al Gore invented the Intertubes wishes they'd thought of it.

drjeff

Personally I think that if one needs to try and tie in the achievements of others from the past to help try and bolster how great one thinks that their cutrrent achievements are, that those current achievements aren't nearly as big as that person thinks they are. I've always found that the most significant achievements typically come from those that have a great display of selflessness in their actions and prefer to let those actions speak for themselves rather than one having to speak for them

Puck it

Personally I think that if one needs to try and tie in the achievements of others from the past to help try and bolster how great one thinks that their cutrrent achievements are, that those current achievements aren't nearly as big as that person thinks they are. I've always found that the most significant achievements typically come from those that have a great display of selflessness in their actions and prefer to let those actions speak for themselves rather than one having to speak for them

Well put! Standing o, doc!