• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Verizon killing unlimited data plans for good

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
2 1/2 years ago. My company gave me a Sprint Blackberry Tour. It made a nice paperweight but it was pretty useless as a smartphone for my travel pattern. With Verizon, I can drive from Killington to Boston and keep a phone call up just about the whole way. There is one spot on Route 4 where calls drop. There are a few low areas on I-89 where calls drop. I get 3G data the whole way. Sprint has a tower on Pico and I get limited connectivity in Killington but otherwise has no data connectivity anywhere between Killington and Concord, NH. Sprint roams onto Verizon for voice calls but only at certain towers. At my summer house and out on the boat, Sprint doesn't work at all.

I think they improved a lot since. I had Sprint before and they were total crap, now I'm very happy with the service, Driving from Jersey to Killington I have coverage in areas where I didn't have it with Verizon. In Killington, I'll admit, coverage is spotty, but I didn't expect to have any coverage. Verizon wasn't great at Killington either.

bvibert

Staff member
for all you unlimited folks, what sort of data usage are you doing monthly on average?

I don't think that I've ever used even 2GB/month, so honestly it doesn't really matter to me. It just sucks getting something taken away. ;) Looks like my wife has been using about 3GB/month, about double what I've been averaging, but that should still be okay since the tiered plans start at 4GB/month for the same price that we're paying for unlimited now.

I use my phone quite a bit, and never on wifi since I typically have that turned off. I don't stream Pandora as much as I used to though. With unlimited it's nice to not have to worry about going over, even if it's an unjustified worry.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I have used > 2gb a month. When I travel I use my phone for tethering and that really eats up data quick. Plus I watch a lot of video content on my phone.

Apparently you can keep you data plan now, but you can no longer qualify for upgrade pricing on phones. In other words, if you want to pay full retail, you can avoid losing your unlimited data plan.

Trekchick

I am grandfathered into an unlimited data plan on my AT&T package, and I've never gone over.........Just saying :D

Okay now that I'm done being a smart @ss, I'll say this.....
We considered different phone services when we moved to Tahoe two years ago, but AT&T had some of the best coverage out here. The only area that anyone is stronger is Sprint at Mt Rose, but they have a tower ON Mt Rose.

As I said in the beginning line, I'm grandfathered into my unlimited data package on my Ph #, but Phil's additional phone is not. He uses more data than I do and we never have an issue with him going over.
We also have AT&T Uverse for TV and wireless internet at our house. The $$ is very comparable to other services and its nice to have one bill.

I'm seriously considering checking into tethering my phone to my computer when we travel. Not sure (yet) how that works.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I also have my phone rooted so I don't pay extra for it. I don't think technically VZW is happy about that but you know... meh