• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Connecticut to allow liquor sales of Sundays

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
:beer:

Even though I can't take advantage of this...I am happy for all the people that don't have to drive to Massachusetts on a Sunday because they forgot to stock up on Saturday. Sometimes you just didn't have enough money to buy double quantities of what you'd like!

gmcunni

having lived in CT for my entire life and living close to NY until i was in my 20s i maybe crossed the border 3 times. it really isn't that hard to plan in advance.

drjeff

My only reget about this beginning this weekend is that by the time I get off the Block Island Ferry tommorrow PM, I probably won't make it back into CT in time to buy a ceremonial 1st Sunday 6 pack! Guess the 4 - 5 cases on beer currently residing in my beer fridge at home will have to suffice tomorrow! :beer: :lol:

WoodCore

Stopped in at the local package store yesterday and made my ceremonial first Sunday purchase!

ctenidae

Drove by a liquor store on Friday with a sign out front that read "Now Open Sundays."
Almost shat myself in excitement. Yay!

bvibert

Staff member
We didn't make it to the packie yesterday, but we intended to... It was a stupid law, I'm glad CT did something right for once!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Have they changed the stupid 8PM cut off time law too?

I'm sure it's easy for a responsible person to plan ahead, but I'd be willing to bet that the 8PM cut off time results in numerous drunk driving fatalities each year.

bvibert

Staff member
Have they changed the stupid 8PM cut off time law too?

I'm sure it's easy for a responsible person to plan ahead, but I'd be willing to bet that the 8PM cut off time results in numerous drunk driving fatalities each year.

Package stores can stay open until 9pm, though some still elect to close at 8pm. The newly instated Sunday hours are until 5pm.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No kidding!

What does that mean anyway? No drink specials allowed?

Not sure what laws are in other states, but Vermont doesn't allow happy hours either. The rational behind it is it speeds the consumption of alcohol. You can have drink specials in VT, but they have to be valid for all open hours of the day.

ctenidae

Not sure what laws are in other states, but Vermont doesn't allow happy hours either. The rational behind it is it speeds the consumption of alcohol. You can have drink specials in VT, but they have to be valid for all open hours of the day.

That's the system in most states that don't allow happy hours- the drink special has to be available all day long. Which is great at 11 am.

Hawkshot99

I dont really drink in Mass. but My buddy at the Mtn who ran the restaurant said they can do drink specials, but they must be for a entire week. And they can never give away any free alcohol.

2knees

bought a 6 pack yesterday just cause i could. after the friday beer, golf, beer celtics debacle, more beer to drown disbelief party and then a repeat on saturday, i had no intention of drinking it, just wanted to buy it.

wa-loaf

My only reget about this beginning this weekend is that by the time I get off the Block Island Ferry tommorrow PM, I probably won't make it back into CT in time to buy a ceremonial 1st Sunday 6 pack! Guess the 4 - 5 cases on beer currently residing in my beer fridge at home will have to suffice tomorrow! :beer: :lol:

I feel really bad for you.