• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cell phones soon to be okay to use on US flights

AdironRider

Im not going to lie, I almost leave my cellphone on every time I fly. I dont use it that much but I always just forget.

I took a call once and the stewardess starting acting all funny and it took me a second to remember in the first place.

Moral of the story, I dont think its a big deal.

ERJ-145CA

When I forget to turn off my phone it gets no signal above about 8000' anyway.

I'll occasionally hear the buzzing from AT&T phones over the radio when someone's phone in the back that they left on starts getting a signal once we get low enough.

Geoff

I purchased the Wifi service on SWA once and the connection was so slow it wasn't worth it.

I'm A-List Preferred with Southwest. I get WiFi for free when the plane has the WiFi bubble on top. It's adequate for email and basic web surfing. Not much different from tethering to a 3G phone.

SkiDork

as an LIRR rider for over 30 years, phone etiquette on those trains is self policing. If a rider starts yapping in a loud voice, there will typically be a bunch of "sssshhhh" and if they don't quickly quiet down someone usually yells "I'm gonna come over there and cram that phone up yer ass!!!"

The newbie usually gets the message. When I use a phone on the train, I don't have an extended conversation and speak in a very low tone. The person on the other end never has a problem hearing.

Trekchick

I am sure that most modern planes are equipped to handle cell phone signals.
I'm not sure that the world we live in needs cell phone capability on air craft.

dmc

I use Skype over WiFi to make quiet calls when I travel on planes... Work pays for it.

Quiet voice - quick calls... If it's a conference call - I let the people know I'm on a plane so I won't be able to respond.. I haven't had any complaints yet - and would never do it during sleep time on long flights..