• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cell phones soon to be okay to use on US flights

ctenidae

As somebody who flies quite a lot, generally on routes frequented by business people, I do not consider this a good thing.

Geoff

A lot of older equipment would be really unsafe. All the avionics was built before RF immunity became a big deal. A NEXTEL push-to-talk phone transmits at 5 watts when you hit the PTT button. That's enough power where somebody sitting in the front of the plane can interfere with unshielded electronics. I'm sure it's just fine on any jet built within the last decade but before cell phones became ubiquitous, nobody designed for RF immunity.

And yeah, it would really suck to have some a-hole next to me blabbing into their cell phone for an entire flight. An airplane is one of the few places to escape it these days.

Puck it

A lot of older equipment would be really unsafe. All the avionics was built before RF immunity became a big deal. A NEXTEL push-to-talk phone transmits at 5 watts when you hit the PTT button. That's enough power where somebody sitting in the front of the plane can interfere with unshielded electronics. I'm sure it's just fine on any jet built within the last decade but before cell phones became ubiquitous, nobody designed for RF immunity.

Myth!!!!!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I like it but not because I want to be on calls in flight but rather have data access so I can watch a movie, browse AlpineZone, etc.

Trekchick

Ugh, phone étiquette sucks as it is. Can you imagine a flight full of obnoxious phone users?

I'd like to ask a few flight attendants and air marshals what they think.

@Nick, regarding the question about the bus/air comparison........
People do tend to be weirder on planes than busses. I am not sure I'd want to be an air marshal on flights with people on the phone.

Puck it

Nope. RF immunity with older electronics is a big deal.

Yes, much older I would agree but any commercial aircraft flying now should be immune.

If it was the case then a directional high power RF generator could take down an aircraft. No rocket science.

Geoff

Ugh, phone étiquette sucks as it is. Can you imagine a flight full of obnoxious phone users?

I'd like to ask a few flight attendants and air marshals what they think.

@Nick, regarding the question about the bus/air comparison........
People do tend to be weirder on planes than busses. I am not sure I'd want to be an air marshal on flights with people on the phone.

The charges will be several dollars per minute. It will be used about as frequently as the old "air phones" that used to be on the back of airplane seats. You might have the odd business traveler who can expense it using the service. You're not going to get much of the usual inane cell phone chatter that is so annoying in most public places.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
they already have wifi on some planes (Delta has Gogo I think), but it's super pricey. As much as I love my Internet I'm not paying over five bucks for a connection for a flight.

bvibert

Staff member
I like it but not because I want to be on calls in flight but rather have data access so I can watch a movie, browse AlpineZone, etc.

You're probably not going to be getting a regular service up at cruising altitude. The planes will be offering a service that will allow you to use your phone at an additional charge (some planes already offer WiFi, at an additional charge). They'll basically be a mobile cell tower. Hopefully the charges will be enough per minute to discourage frequent use. ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Should they ban cell phones on a greyhound bus or the commuter rail?

I'm not saying anyone should ban anything, I'd just hate to be stuck next to someone who's yapping on their phone for the entire flight. Some people tend to talk rather loudly when on the phone...

As far as greyhound or commuter rails go; I don't really care since I use neither.

bvibert

Staff member
they already have wifi on some planes (Delta has Gogo I think), but it's super pricey. As much as I love my Internet I'm not paying over five bucks for a connection for a flight.

The fees for using your cell phone aren't going to be any better.

hammer

I purchased the Wifi service on SWA once and the connection was so slow it wasn't worth it.