• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stupid childhood diseases

ctenidae

So, the boy came down with hand, foot, and mouth on Friday, which made the weekend less than entirely enjoyable. Work is a lot of fun, too.

Aside from the constant crying, lack of sleep, no appetite, and nasty looking rash, the worst part is that no one knows enough about it to take advantage of one of the best dissease-related BEavis and Butthead situations ever. I mean, it's caused by the Coxsackie virus, for god's sake. It's got comedy built right in!

Hand foot and mouth really sucks the Coxsackie.
This lack of sleep is like getting punched in the Coxsackie.

Okay, so maybe there aren't all that many variations, but it's a scientific penis joke. Geek cred, 6th grader cred, it's got it all.

Yes, I need some sleep.

drjeff

So, the boy came down with hand, foot, and mouth on Friday, which made the weekend less than entirely enjoyable. Work is a lot of fun, too.

Aside from the constant crying, lack of sleep, no appetite, and nasty looking rash, the worst part is that no one knows enough about it to take advantage of one of the best dissease-related BEavis and Butthead situations ever. I mean, it's caused by the Coxsackie virus, for god's sake. It's got comedy built right in!

Hand foot and mouth really sucks the Coxsackie.
This lack of sleep is like getting punched in the Coxsackie.

Okay, so maybe there aren't all that many variations, but it's a scientific penis joke. Geek cred, 6th grader cred, it's got it all.

Yes, I need some sleep.

And to think that to some Coxsakie is just some small, sleepy town in upstate NY ;)

Hope the little one gets better and gets some sleep soon there c-ten!

drjeff

Good luck. This is surely going to be a whole new world for me in only a few very short weeks.

One thought will keep you sane(ish):
This, too, shall pass.

The funny thing is with kid #1, as a parent, you're very often saying "WTF is wrong with the kid? Why won't he/she stop crying? He/she must have some crazy disease, call the doctors office!!!"

Then with kid #2, it's more like "Hey honey, is the kid crying??" Answer... "Could be? I guess that maybe one of us should check at the next commercial break" ;) :lol:

skiahman

^this....we were all over the 1st. She couldn't do a thing without one of us tending to every whim and need. Caught on for the 2nd. Don't worry, she'll only fall down those stairs once.

ctenidae

My wife has already become selectively deaf when it comes to crying. She's been selectively deaf when it comes to me for a long time.

If you aren't dying, hold your horses, I'm coming.

ctenidae

Absolutely. Gotten me through many of the less-fun parenting moments.

Hand Foot & Mouth Disease does suck, though. But it should pass quickly. Hoping your household is healthy again soon!

Thanks everyone for teh well-wishes. He's much improved- happy, laughing and eating yesterday, but still blotchy and rashy. 4 hour sleeping stretches overnight were a vast improvement over the 2 hour stretches since Friday.

Of course, now my wife is coming down with something (hopefully not the adult version of HFM), and was like sleeping next to a blast furnace last night.

Don't I have a long work trip scheduled sometime, dammit?

wa-loaf

Been through Whooping cough yet? Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night hearing your kid struggling to breath and doing the steamy shower to cold outdoors dance to clear out the lungs. With my son we ended up with a trip to the ER at 2am for steroid shot he had it so bad.

ctenidae

Been through Whooping cough yet? Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night hearing your kid struggling to breath and doing the steamy shower to cold outdoors dance to clear out the lungs. With my son we ended up with a trip to the ER at 2am for steroid shot he had it so bad.

I had whooping cough myself two years ago. You better believe when the doc asked if we wanted that included in the vaccines I said "Hell, yes." No way I'm listening to any child, much less my own, go through that.

To all of you who are over or approaching 25 who had the vaccine as a kid- seems like it's been wearing off. Next time you're at the doc's, ask about getting re-upped. As an illness, it sucks donkey balls. Really, it's that bad.