• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Brush with Celebrity - Bruce Hornsby Encounter

ChileMass

Just back from a LONG day of being delayed in airports, but there was a silver lining.

The 5PM US Air flight out of Newport News VA finally boarded at 735PM, and I took my spot in seat 12D (or whatever it was). There were literally only about 12 people on this 50-seat jet, so because I wound up next to someone, I dumped my stuff in seat 11D and took off for the bathroom. When I came back out, a lanky, 50-something blonde guy was looking at my stuff in a confused way, so I grabbed my gear and jumped across the aisle. Even the brief, "Thanks" he gave me was enough to recognize him, so I said, "No problem - Mr. Hornsby - ??", and he just smiled back. I quietly told him I was an old fan, and he stuck out his hand and said thanks again. It was cool.

Then - we sat on the goddamned tarmac for another 90 minutes (!!) while the air traffic cleared out of Philly, so I got to do both crossword puzzles in the magazine. Hornsby was reading an article on Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection - I peeked. He seemed really into it.

When we finally landed in Philly I just said it was nice to talk to him and asked him if he still plays "Spider Fingers" which is an old favorite. He brightened right up and said, "Yeah - I play it every night and it's different every night. I throw in some weird jazz stuff just to mess with people" and he laughed.

So that was fun - broke up a wonderful day of glamorous business travel.....

Vortex

Cool bill. Hornsby is a favorite of mine. I loved him in the Dead. I caught him a few times last summer/Fall when he and Bobby toured together.

roark

Cool.

Speaking of weird jazz stuff - ever heard the stuff he did with Bela Fleck?

nelsapbm

Awesome. I LOVE him (well, his music LOL). Saw him in Burlington a year or so ago and it was great. Much more exciting than my celebrity encounter in Vegas - Anthony Anderson. Had to look him up on IMDB as I didnt have a clue who he was!

ChileMass

Cool.

I've heard some of Bela's stranger stuff, and some is almost unlistenable (IMHO), and I LIKE jazz - ! Any recommendations on a Hornsby/Fleck disc to check out?

roark

I've heard some of Bela's stranger stuff, and some is almost unlistenable (IMHO), and I LIKE jazz - ! Any recommendations on a Hornsby/Fleck disc to check out?
Actually, all I have is a couple boots. They get out there on some of the improv stuff, but also play some standards and Hornsby tunes. When I get a chance I 'll burn ya a copy.

thetrailboss

Staff member
[Raises hand]

"So tell me old man, who is Bruce Hornsby??" :wink: :wink:

Just kidding. I've heard a few of his songs....he was "Bruce Hornsby and the Range," right?

But it is amazing how MANY young people probably have never heard of him.

dmc

Hopefully meeting BobWier tonight... :)

dmc

Cool.

Bela's cool... I hate his "drummer" with all the electronic stuff...
But his bass player is one of the best..

roark

Bela's cool... I hate his "drummer" with all the electronic stuff...
But his bass player is one of the best..

The synthaxe 'drumitar' is ridiculously cheesy sounding and blasphemous, but if you can get past that some of what 'Futureman' plays is ripping. And BTW, he's Vic's brother. 'Sinister Minister' is one of my favorite bass lines. Vic is one hell of a showman too, Flecktones are a great live act.

REALLY?!?! I've seen Bela so many times, met him once, so humble so cool.

Yup, Bela's awesome. I guess Hornsby/Fleck never did any full albums, just some tracks on a couple albums and some shows here and there.