• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boot Alignment

Zindar

I have read a lot of hype about boot alighment lately.

Can you get your current boots aligned, or do you have to get custom made boots to get them aligned?

Do you have to have severe problems before boot alightment is worth the money? And how much money are we talking here?

Experiences? Thoughts? General ramblings?

Z

RISkier

I'd point you to the resident boot fitter thread as well. Yes, you can definately have your boots worked on. The caveat would be if they're too big there's not a lot that can be done. The importance of custom fitting and alignment PROBABLY depend on your feet and natural alignment, but I'd guess almost every one would benefit. I went to see Jeff last year. We did a new custom footbed. He put some shims in the tounges. He punched out a couple of areas. He made other adjustments on the boot. And we determine that my canting was way off on my right side. After the work the boots were more comfortable and I was in a much stronger, more neutral position. I experienced much less fatigue while skiing after the modifications; I skied (for me hard) 6 days in a row after the work and no quad burn. He wanted me to use duct tape to playing with canting before we made permanent changes to the boot. I'm still playing with that a bit. Costs will depend on what you need done. It's not inexpensive but I absolutely think it's worth it. Again, how much it's going to help is contingent on how well or poorly your current boots fit your feet and body.

JimG.

Staff member
I have read a lot of hype about boot alighment lately.

Can you get your current boots aligned, or do you have to get custom made boots to get them aligned?

Do you have to have severe problems before boot alightment is worth the money? And how much money are we talking here?

Experiences? Thoughts? General ramblings?

Z

Get thee to a professional bootfitter pronto! Jeff Bokum is the resident AZ boot guy and he seems to do excellent work.

I never had foot or ski boot issues (at least that's what I thought) before I had my first custom boot fitting 20 years ago. My first few runs after I had that fitting years ago made me feel like I had suddenly learned about what skiing really was. I was suddenly able to feel and duplicate some of the techniques I had been told to practice. One of the most enlightening experiences in my life.

So stop floundering (even if you are an expert, that's what you are doing with stock unfitted boots) and start ripping!!

SKIQUATTRO

couldnt agree more...I got mine custom fitted at Northern Ski Works up at Killington...world of difference