• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New to Road biking "world"....help me out.

drjeff

I'm pretty sure Trek owns Gary F so they are probably very similar bikes.

Pretty sure you're correct. Atleast I know when I see updates from Lance Armstrong on his twitter feed as he's getting ready to do another Xterra triathlon, he's usually posting a pic of a REALLY sweet Gary Fisher-ized Trek carbon MTB with some sweet Sram components and some rings in the cassettes that most mere mortals wouldn't even think about ever using! :eek: :lol: :)

zakyr

Looking at a couple bikes. One is a unused 2010 Giant Defy 3 for $700.

Price check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
How serious do you think you'll be taking road biking? Immediately? A year from now? A few years? If you are approaching it very casually, not putting on long miles, and don't think you're going to become personally invested, that Giant Defy 3 will get the job done. But if you plan to go for it, I'd look for something better in the used market at a similar price. So if the bike fits and you're just going to ride casually, go for it, that price is fine. Though for being two years old, I might see if you can haggle in some free stuff.

MR. evil

For a 2 year old leftover and that parts spec, $700 doesn't seem like much of a deal. My bike shop has current model year bikes with better part specs for not much more than that.

zakyr

For a 2 year old leftover and that parts spec, $700 doesn't seem like much of a deal. My bike shop has current model year bikes with better part specs for not much more than that.

Such as?

mlctvt

Thanks for posting that.

Am I wrong, or should that piss me off that the guy is trying to sell it for $700?

I feel like not giving them my business for trying to sell it for that....

I woudn't be upset, he's probably trying to cover his cost plus still make a small profit. The markup on bikes is notoriously bad. I'm not sure of the margins on this model but the shop could have paid as much as $650.00 for that bike back in 2010. You could offer him less, no harm in that.

zakyr

Another price check and advice on quality of bike...

2012 Specialized Secteur for $769 at Buchikas.

zakyr

Curiosity question-

Would a 62cm Specialized fit someone who is 6'2 1/2"?

MR. evil

Curiosity question-

Not sure, might be a bit large, might be spot on. Only one way to find out.

FWIW I am 6'-0" and ride a 56cm Spesh.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Thanks for posting that.

Am I wrong, or should that piss me off that the guy is trying to sell it for $700?

I feel like not giving them my business for trying to sell it for that....
Don't be pissed off, just ask for a lower price or some extra free stuff you might need. $700 for a AL bike loaded with Sora is a decent price for 2012 bikes so perhaps they are looking at it from that perspective. If they've had it for two years, either they would gladly drop $50 to move it or they still have it because they won't deal and they don't care. So point out the price hasn't been lowered from MSRP since 2010 and see what you get.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Curiosity question-

Depends. What is the head tube, seat tube, top tube, and ST/TT angles?

In other words, ride it and find out.

I'll repeat from above: height does not correspond to seat tube measurement! Loose correlation only. You might need a 56cm bike or 62cm might be way too small. It all depends on the geometry.

Think of it this way: you are 6'2 but how long are your legs and how long is your torso? How long are your arms? Not everyone that is 6'2" has the same leg, torso, and arm lengths. They can be radically different, even.

So your body connects with the bike in three places: saddle, pedals, and handlebars. Height may be somewhat loosely correlated with average size but everyone is different. How tall you are has nothing to do with sizing a bike. It used to mean something when all bikes had flat top tubes and all frames came in 2cm increments and you had to be concerned with crotch clearance. That is old news, now.

All that doesn't even take into account individual preference for fit and flexibility. If you don't know your preferred geometry, you really need to pedal a few bikes to find out.

zakyr

One last price check and thoughts.

2009 or 2010, forget year.... Fuji Newest 1.0.
LBS is asking $900.

MR. evil

LBS is asking $900.

That's not a bad spec, but for a leftover 2010 I would be expecting all 105 components for that price. $200 off MSRP isn't a lot for a bike that's 2.5 models years old. 2013 model years stuff comes out at the end of this summer.

MR. evil

LBS is asking $900.

Where do you live?

Was just checking the Suburban Sports website and they have some nice deals on current model year bikes

http://suburbanskiandbike.com/Bicycles-Road-Bikes/

AZ member Skidmarks (Peter) works there and usually gives AZers a decent deal. If the middle of CT (15 minutes south) of Hartford isn't too far, get in touch with Skidmarks

o3jeff

Where do you live?

Was just checking the Suburban Sports website and they have some nice deals on current model year bikes

http://suburbanskiandbike.com/Bicycles-Road-Bikes/

AZ member Skidmarks (Peter) works there and usually gives AZers a decent deal. If the middle of CT (15 minutes south) of Hartford isn't too far, get in touch with Skidmarks

Actually Peter is moving to VT, just ask for Scott or Pat(internet sales)

o3jeff

And Suburban has a lot more bikes than listed on their web site. I was there Thursday night and they still have some leftovers

zakyr

Yeah CT is too far of a drive for me. Too bad tho they looks like a good shop

zakyr

Is there wiggle room for negotiations?
The bike had a sticker of 1200.... He said he would do 900...